StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner of bike had wired in a 12V socket into the bike (ignition controlled so not on full time). Works for for charging a cell phone and small things like that...was curious if anyone has any experience running one of those small 12V air compressors off of the electrical circuit on a 650? I don't currently own one but thinking that's probably a must have for any lengthy travel? Mostly want to make sure I don't create a second issue (dead battery, melt down wiring, etc.) while trying to solve the first (low or flat tire).

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am installing a new 12V socket with heavier than stock wire (I used 14 gauge) and an aftermarket 12V socket. My initial test shows that there is no overheating or other issues. If I need to fill a tire, I leave the engine running so I don't make the battery sad.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am installing a new 12V socket with heavier than stock wire (I used 14 gauge) and an aftermarket 12V socket. All from my new fuse panel that get juice from the battery via a decent automotive relay. None of the original wiring will see this load except the batttery itself. My initial test with a small portable compressor shows that there is no overheating or other issues. If I need to fill a tire, I leave the engine running so I don't make the battery sad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok - I don't know the exact gauge used here - i'd say 14 or 16. Doesn't look heavy enough to be #12 though. I think I'm ok, just wanted to make sure running the compressor in a somewhat worst case scenario won't zap the battery to fast.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Those little air compressors use 10-15 amps.

Best to connect them directly to the battery in use.
Motor running too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If the PO did things correctly then that circuit should be fused somehow. Could be through a fuse block or an inline fuse somewhere. First thing I'd check is the fuse rating. As said, you'd be wanting a 15A fuse since those compressors use between 10 and 15A.

If the fuse is 15A minimum and the PO did his work properly (mainly the right gauge wiring) you should be good. If the fuse is less than 15A (typical fuse for a GPS/charger circuit would be 5A) then you need to check the wiring can handle the higher current before replacing it with a 15A. And in that case it's probably much easier to connect the compressor directly to the battery.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Yes, I've run a Slime compressor off one of those 12 volt cigarette style outlets. The ones I bought were rated to 20A at 12 volts. They're the typical marine style ones with the waterproof rubber cover.

The outlet is wired with 12 gauge stranded wire, and fused with a 20 amp fuse. The outlet I use for the compressor is always on; it isn't switched off when the bike is off. I've run both a small Slime compressor and a larger Viair compressor with no issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a slime compressor that I have run off a different bike using a battery tender plug & wires with 15A fuse. Fixed two different flats with this setup. I have plans to try on my Vstrom, but haven't tested yet....with bike running there should be plenty of juice.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A basic lighter socket is rated to 10a & because the connections are not always good things can get hot with bigger loads.

Then you have to take into account the wire and fuse size.

I have a preference for alligator clips directly to the battery for a couple of reasons.

1;You can use the pump on any bike or car at any time, (I once met a guy on the side of the road, he was constantly loosing air and he had no pump, I left mine with him and trusted him to post it to my home when he got his tire fixed.)

2;With a poor connection the resistance can go up and the voltage to the pump will drop, this will kill a pump.

SAE connectors are good at carrying a load and can be used for a pump just add some alligator clips for use on other equipment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are in doubt about wiring an accessory Blue Sea Systems has a free app called "Circuit Wizard" that will calculate the correct wire size and fuse for any DC application. You just enter some information about the circuit you are planning and it does the calculations for you.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Some people put 3A or 5A fuses on those sockets, which will run a charger, but if the wire size isn't too thin you can install a bigger fuse and safely run a compressor.

As noted, the compressors usually draw a little over 10A right when they start up. They will pop a 10A fuse sooner or later, so you need a 15A fuse. Once running at normal tire pressures, they draw much less, often around 4A to 6A or so.

·
Registered
509 Posts
And the rule of thumb is, if the wire, or the fuse holder, or the 12v socket get hot, it's not heavy enough. It's good to check the wire gauge, ratings of sockets, etc, but the reality test is.....does it get hot?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the insight - I haven't tested it yet as I don't have a compressor in hand right now. I did look at how it was wired and it doesn't look fused (or at least I can't find it). I have a EB kit to get installed so I may just re-do all of it anyways. The P.O. also had wired in a pigtail for heated riding gear (at least I think/assume that's what its for) but it was wired directly to the battery with a fork terminal...which has since been removed. Given that, I kind of assume i can look all I want and still won't find a fuse. 😆

1 - 13 of 13 Posts