StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Sumitomo HTR ZII 205/50-17 for the 650. It's listed as 8.3 wide...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rub. I've read mixed results with the ones that are 8.4, soooo....we'll see. I may have just learned an $80 lesson.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Looks good.
Somewhere I've seen a video taken from a camera hung on the center stand. It was very interesting. It made it very clear that the contact patch was more than adequate. Got a camera?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
I probably won't be doing any long trips on the Glee and it doesn't see the miles per year it used to.

But I gotta say that the "Darkside" is more appealing all the time. I have not ridden a bike with "it", and I love to read all the input from folks that also have not ever ridden with "it". The sky is falling and all that. I would like to try one....:thumbup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably won't be doing any long trips on the Glee and it doesn't see the miles per year it used to.

But I gotta say that the "Darkside" is more appealing all the time. I have not ridden a bike with "it", and I love to read all the input from folks that also have not ever ridden with "it". The sky is falling and all that. I would like to try one....:thumbup:
I put about 7k-8k miles a year on it, so even having to put a new MC tire on once a year isn't bad since I do the work myself. But, curiosity got the best of me. And to be honest, I didn't feel any difference from this tire than I did when I put the new 705 on last summer. IMO, all new tires feel different for a bit. I did feel like I had to work a little more to get it to turn the first couple times, but by the time I got around the block and back, I had forgot all about it.

And, I think it looks cool. :grin2: Which we all know is the most important part of the ride.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I've been running a CT on my 05 Yamaha RSTD for years. First one got 30K and switched it out when I was lubing the splines and was too far gone to put back on. Ran a MC tire temporarily till I got a new one ordered. Now am running a BFG on it.
Having said that, riding the two bikes on the same SW Wisconsin roads, I'd never put one on my Vstrom.
Two very different MC's, one a 800lb cruiser and the other the Vstrom that LOVES corners.
That is my take on it.

Reactions: RCinNC

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Might be the picture or my bad eyes but from the looks of the tread wear on the old tire, you won't notice any difference in handling until you lean more in the corners.
Looks like very wide chicken strip , lots of tread left on the sides of the tire.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
We'll, here it is. Not much clearance, but enough. Rode it around the block and it felt like....a new tire. Different but not bad. And probably the easiest tire I've changed. .

Would you get a pic of the swingarm/chain clearance?

Also a close up of the bead on the rim?

Thanx

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be the picture or my bad eyes but from the looks of the tread wear on the old tire, you won't notice any difference in handling until you lean more in the corners.
Looks like very wide chicken strip , lots of tread left on the sides of the tire.
Unfortunately most of my riding is commuting on the slab. Not much leaning on the interstate at 80mph. :frown2:

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
One of the games some played at BMW rallies was to check speedo's for high mileage and tire wear to see who really rides enthusiastically.
I know a fellow that never seemed to ride like he was enjoying the twisties. Road like a slug. All the wear was dead center.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy the twisties...even known to drag a toe once or twice if I'm not paying attention and lean the wrong way. I just don't get to ride those roads as much as I'd like.

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Chicken Strips

Used to wonder what they were, when I found out I checked mine, less than half an inch. I look at other bikes these days, especially sports bikes. Always interesting! Rider claims and proof on the tyres.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
I just ordered a Sumitomo HTR ZII 205/50-17 for the 650. It's listed as 8.3 wide...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rub. I've read mixed results with the ones that are 8.4, soooo....we'll see. I may have just learned an $80 lesson.
When I experimented darkside, I looked at as a $100 gamble, my goal was something that had traction on snow & ice.

chain clearance was barely 1/8" , the experiment was successful beyond my wildest imagination, I have ended up getting a spare rear wheel, and now run a MC tire the other 3 seasons, but I did run my original darkside tire for 2 full years /45,000 miles, and it still has plenty of legal tread depth rubber left, but no longer what I feel is sufficient to run in winter

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Considering the miles that you are custom to riding i'm surprised that you haven't gone DS yet.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
Couldn't be any harder to lean over than your "BIG" Suzuki! How wide is the tire on that thing? I remember following y'all when your Son was on it, looked like a bit of muscle was required to make it happy. Which is fine and it looks real good.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
We'll, here it is. Not much clearance, but enough. Rode it around the block and it felt like....a new tire. Different but not bad. And probably the easiest tire I've changed. .
I didn't realize I was looking at a Car Tire, that is a very motorcycle looking tire for one made for a car. I am surprised at how much the tread wraps around the edges.

When I first picked up my Wee, the tire had a heavy wear strip in the middle and it felt unstable when I would drop off it onto the sidewalls. After a few thousand miles, i picked up a new tire; the same Michelin Pilot Road 3 that was on the bike. Until I got the new tire, it wasn't obvious to me how heavy the center wear was on the old tire.

I replaced the rear wheel bearings at the same time I swapped tires and I have never been sure which was the source of the instability, however the new tire has never developed the heavy center wear of the old one and I have 7,000 miles on it.

I would be hesitant to go back to a flat center tread; but I must say I had not looked at that photo since I took it. That tire was really shot.

Good Luck with the new tire, should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Couldn't be any harder to lean over than your "BIG" Suzuki! How wide is the tire on that thing? I remember following y'all when your Son was on it, looked like a bit of muscle was required to make it happy. Which is fine and it looks real good.
A few of my M109R buddies are putting a big ole car tire on those 8" rims. I have a 260 on mine but they come stock with a 240. The 240 was actually harder to turn for me and never could get rid of the chicken strips. The 260 has a rounder profile after mounting and results in no chicken strips. Go figure!
Ironically, mounting a CT on the 109 results in a lot of scrub on the edges and it eventually starts looking like a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Used to wonder what they were, when I found out I checked mine, less than half an inch. I look at other bikes these days, especially sports bikes. Always interesting! Rider claims and proof on the tyres.

When I see tires worn all the way to the edge I think of 1 of 2 things:

Either the rider doesn't move his body to the inside or the guy is hauling on public roads.

Neither is good IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts