StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding twisties and touring on a BMW K13S. Great bike but I want to go deeper into the wilderness. I think the 2011 V-Strom 650ABS will let me do that. Two different bikes with two different personalities. I'll be loading the bike with traveling goodies: protection, luggage, comfort and NAV stuff. See you out there.

North Carolina is a great place to ride and I ride with a terrific group. Visit us (them) at http://knobbies.org.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may want to re-think the ABS if you're riding dirt. There are times that you actually want to lock up the rear wheel on the dirt and ABS prevents that from happening. From what I've read, it's best not to have the ABS version if you're doing a lot of off-roading. I could be wrong, so make sure you really read up on it before dropping the money.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You can get a switch to turn it off and on. The ABS is worth having - most of the time.

On flat gravel roads, mostly it'll work properly. Steep loose downhills may be a problem though.

Pete

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A switch is handy if you go on and off dirt a lot. Otherwise, you can pull the ABS fuse for occasional loose downhills.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the ABS advice. I agree. I turn my K13S ABS off or use only engine braking on the gravel. I assumed that the Strom ABS could be turned off as well. I'll make sure that's the case.

·
38,103 Posts
The Strom does not have an ABS off switch. You have to add a switch or pull the fuse.
Proper ABS on/off switch shows the best way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Strom does not have an ABS off switch. You have to add a switch or pull the fuse.
Proper ABS on/off switch shows the best way.
Since we look to about the same age - I'm 42, 1942 that is - have you used the Eastern Beaver wiring kit to route the switch through OEM connectors? I've bought some electrics from Jim over the years and have been very happy with his work. Also, which circuit do you recommend for switched power when using a relay to connect things like fuse blocks or high dB horns?

·
38,103 Posts
The advantage of the switch in my link is it can be switched on and off on the fly. With the EB switch, you have to turn the ignition off, turn the switch on and then turn the ignition on again to re-activate ABS. I stay on the pavement myself so do not have an ABS off switch installed. If I was going to put a fuse block and relay from Jim on a new bike, I'd get the kit at Suzuki VStrom Electrics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts