StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the green light from the wife on a vstrom but I can't decide on a wee or a vee. To me it comes down to reliability, I really think I'd like the power of a 1000 but this timing chain thing keeps popping up. I saw a good used one with around 30k but it said the timing chain was new, why would that engine need a new timing chain with that low of miles on it. I'm not looking for anything with that high of miles on it but it still makes me wonder. To me a bike engine should go at least 75,000 miles with just normal valve adjustments and maybe a clutch and water pump seal. To me if there's smoke there's fire on this chain thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'd like the power of a 1000 but this timing chain thing keeps popping up. I saw a good used one with around 30k but it said the timing chain was new, why would that engine need a new timing chain with that low of miles on it.
Timing chain issue????? That's a new one to me.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Vees have a few quirks but not timing chains

That particular one may have a history, sure he didn't mean drive chain?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It said timing chain, I've heard of several broken one, I can understand some worn chain guides but not a broken timing chain. If I get a 1000 I'm going to get on it once in a while, not abuse it but I don't want to worry about the timing chain grenading on me.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I am sure they meant drive chain.
May want to check MPG on both bikes if it matters to you.
I would never sell my VEE for a WEE, But I am thinking about selling my Hayabusa for a WEE,,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reading about all of the Vee "issues" is discouraging. I have decided to stop reading about the problems and just enjoy the ride.
I recommend riding them both and deciding what you like best. I had a beautiful 2007 Wee. It ran perfectly but I just didn't love the bike. I have a 2006 Vee now and just find it more fun to ride. It isn't as nice as my Wee was and it has some of the Vee quirks but I overlook them and just ride it. It is much faster than the Wee and I feel a lot more comfortable on the highway. Although the bike isn't much heavier than the Wee and is essentially the same size, I just have more confidence on the highway with the Vee and it must just be the extra HP.
Mine had a PCIII on it when I bought it. I haven't touched the settings on it and it seems to run fine so maybe I am just lucky in not having to experience the issues that exist without out one.
Having owned 4 bikes in the past 22 months, I really recommend trying to ride whatever you buy for a lengthy ride, not just a spin around the block. Not sure how many guys will let you take their machine out for a 50 mile test ride but I have decided that I am going to do that before I buy my next bike.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It said timing chain, I've heard of several broken one,
That's funny because I've been on the VRSI forum since 2006 when I bought my bike, and recently joined this forum. That's news to me!!!!!!! I did a search and I guess it has occurred. The timing chain should be the least of your worries.

I've never babied the throttle, and don't plan on it.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
The Wee has better gas mileage, and run a lot quieter than the Vee. Smoother even i would say, but the Vee has all that power waiting and is FUN.

Buy what your heart tells you.

Do you want to go slower and farther, or faster and fillup more with a huge boner and a big smile?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
You've really got to ride them both to decide.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Timing chain issue. That is something new...it all depends what riding you'll be doing. If you like power go for Vee. If you going to do long hwy trips (with luggage and/or 2 up ) go for Vee. For all the rest buy Wee. There is not much difference in fuel economy between Wee and Vee (specialy on hwy). In my opinion if you compare these 2 bikes: 1000DL 30% bigger engine over 650. 1000 over 30% more HP and higher torque. Gas mileage 10% lower. 1000 to me has better fuel economy (comparing apple to apple). I had 2 Vees in the past and now own the Wee for a while. For the stile and type of riding I 'm doing it fits me better. Again all depends what you want to do with it. You can't go wrong with any of them. Why you don't take them for a test ride. It might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To late now, I just bought a 2006 with 10,000 miles on it. Drove it 2.5 hours home on the highway and county roads and loved it, all the speed that I need and rock solid on the interstate (for its size). I do need a new seat though, my butt was sore. I'm leaning toward a Rick Mayers but I'll keep shopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts