StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding now for 2 seasons, and put some wonderful miles on the wee. I am noticing a bit more vibration with the ride, and see my front tire is starting to show it's age. The back tire still has a good tread. Although I bought the Wee thinking I would do fire roads etc, I spend 99.9% of the time on hard pavement and think going to a tire more attune to this style. Looking for recommendations.
Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Everyone will have their favorite but Anakee 3s are working well for me in all respects. Like most folks, by far most of my time is on pavement but the Anakee 3s do fine when I do travel gravel forest roads.

For pure highway use someone will probably recommend (Michelin?) Pilot Road tires. They're probably great but I've never tried them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I put Michelin Pilots 3's on mine last Spring and they transformed the ride. My riding was 100% on the road.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tires are a very personal thing. Most people tend to recommend what they are using, so keep that in mind. I for one won't be doing that. I'm running K60s, and I think they are great for my usage. But that's not going to be the same usage as you. Since you want to ride almost all pavement I'm going to say go with the Michellin pilot road 3. Now here's my disclaimer. I don't have a bike with these tires on them. I did have the opportunity to ride a bike that had them. The wet traction was amazing, and the dry traction was very good. I do not know how long they will last as that friend traded that bike in on a Vee. But I'd guess as a sport touring tire they probably last a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm due for a tire change in the next month or so, I've been looking at the battle wings 501/502 (80-20% tire). The new Vee's coming with them so probably a good choice. I do 95% road but I like the tires "adv" look.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I'm due for a tire change in the next month or so, I've been looking at the battle wings 501/502 (80-20% tire). The new Vee's coming with them so probably a good choice. I do 95% road but I like the tires "adv" look.
I've been running Battle Wings for a couple of changes, last rear went for 11,000 and might have had another 1,000 but had a trip coming up so changed. I do about 90-10% and have no complaints about the Battle Wings.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Pilot 3's are the cat's meow for the street. With that little off road that's what I would use. Was down a gravel road today with mine.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Another vote for PR3s. Of the 6 different tires I've tried they're by far the best.
FWIW Tourances were the worst, also by a wide margin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Put some anakee 3s on my wee this spring. They have been fantastic. Supurb on the street, and amazingly good on hard pack dirt and loose rock on hard pack. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must admit that I am waffling back and forth from the anakee 3 to the pilot 3. Both look to be excellent choices, but neither is how do you say "cheap" So I want to get the best choice. I also find myself wondering if next year I might want to get a bit more off the beaten track, thus the anakee's. Or will it be business as usual, and thus the pilots.
I am also trying to figure out how to actually replace the tires, I have never done this, and am not sure where I should go to get this done. what should I expect to pay to have them out? Or is this a diy project. :confused:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Has anyone used the Pirelli Scorpion on the Wee? Have have been pretty impressed with this tire on the BMW F800GS and the Ducati Hyperstrada.

They feel particularly good in the wet to me.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
I've been through aout 15 Tourance tires on my two Stroms. I ride in all kinds of conditions and love these tires! Handling is great - they are very predictable. They work very well in rain, even torrential downpours. They feel great on non-paved roads and even were suprisingly good riding two-up in mud that was about 6 inches deep. Even in single digit F temperatures they have surprising amounts of grip. Negatives I have found is that they are bad in deep snow when they are nearly bald and since they are a flatter profile are more prone the the low speed hands-off steering waggle.

I get 12,000 to 15,000 miles out of the rear tires and close to double that on the front.

Everyone's taste in tires is a personal thing but I have had them on my two Stroms for a total of about 155,000 miles and can say I rather like them.

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I must admit that I am waffling back and forth from the anakee 3 to the pilot 3. Both look to be excellent choices, but neither is how do you say "cheap" So I want to get the best choice. I also find myself wondering if next year I might want to get a bit more off the beaten track, thus the anakee's. Or will it be business as usual, and thus the pilots.
I am also trying to figure out how to actually replace the tires, I have never done this, and am not sure where I should go to get this done. what should I expect to pay to have them out? Or is this a diy project. :confused:
You have many options, dealers will typically install tires for you no matter where they were purchased. Take the wheels in off the bike it is easy, there is zero reason to pay for a dealer to do this "get to know your bike". Yes you can try to change the tires yourself "also is not terribly hard with the right tools" but in your case I would take baby steps. :mrgreen: Will cost typically anywhere from $25 to $35 per tire for most dealers when bringing the wheel and tires in, that it pretty standard.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
... Will cost typically anywhere from $25 to $35 per tire for most dealers when bringing the wheel and tires in, that it pretty standard.
Because I'm unaware of any nearby (< 35 miles) place to have bike tires changed, and because I'm a tightwad, I change my tires myself. But it is real work - for me at least. I have no special tire-changing equipment and if you've never changed a bike or auto tire, after you change your first bike tire you'll probably think $30 / tire change price is a heck of a deal.

Beyond that, it's hard to argue with V-Tom's Tourance comments. He sure rides a lot more than me and I get nowhere near the tire mileage he reports. Not even close. For some reason I just got started using Michelin bike tires, have been generally satisfied with them, and will probably continue to buy them.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
Beyond that, it's hard to argue with V-Tom's Tourance comments. He sure rides a lot more than me and I get nowhere near the tire mileage he reports. Not even close. For some reason I just got started using Michelin bike tires, have been generally satisfied with them, and will probably continue to buy them.
My wife has Michelin Pilot PR3's on her Gladius and rather likes them. They are very good in rain and gives her a great feeling of confidence. We also got caught on some black ice last April and she was able to handle it well with those tires and they didn't let her down.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
The Tourance EXP tires I tried gave me less mileage than the regular Tourances.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Because I'm unaware of any nearby (< 35 miles) place to have bike tires changed, and because I'm a tightwad, I change my tires myself. But it is real work - for me at least. I have no special tire-changing equipment and if you've never changed a bike or auto tire, after you change your first bike tire you'll probably think $30 / tire change price is a heck of a deal.

Not hard to do at all, did my last Strom 2 different times and always do the tires on my dirtbike. Long spoons, use an old tire to help with mounting and un mounting from rim "or wood blocks to help elevate it", some windex or real tire lube, some beer or other spirit of your choosing, and a friend to help is also good. Breaking the bead is the hardest part, but I have a harbor freight breaker for that. Ensuring the tire is balanced is very important, I just used the dynabeads over weights.

I like the original Tourance rear, but the front sucks and the new offerings are too road worthy for me. I am gonna give the Anakee III a serious look next, although I am a big fan of the Battlewings.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Not hard to do at all, did my last Strom 2 different times and always do the tires on my dirtbike. Long spoons, use an old tire to help with mounting and un mounting from rim "or wood blocks to help elevate it", some windex or real tire lube, some beer or other spirit of your choosing, and a friend to help is also good. Breaking the bead is the hardest part, but I have a harbor freight breaker for that. Ensuring the tire is balanced is very important, I just used the dynabeads over weights.
I didn't want to encourage someone who might possibly never have changed a bike tire themselves to take on the task thinking it's a piece of cake. Based on your post it's obvious that you have lots more bike tire-changing experience than many of us have. I'm sure you've changed many more bike tires than I have, but I've changed a half dozen or so, with no real / special tire-changing tools and no nearby friend to assist, and I've struggled, and I'm a big, strong guy. I think I'll stand by my "$30 is a deal" statement - for lots of people. Not everyone, myself included, has all the things readily available that you have (and that I underlined in your message).

I think it would be fun to hear from some persons who tried, for the first time, to change their own bike tire - start to finish. Would be interesting to hear what they now think it's worth...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts