StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my wee strom this last week. I am a big guy (320 lbs). I am debating on putting a new spring in the rear shock or replacing it with something like an ELka 3 way shock or somethign along the lines. Will i be dispaointed with a respring? Will the Elka realy do much more for me than the stock with a new spring? I just took the bike for a 100 mile loop today and the stock disnt seem bad but does get unsettled in consistent ripples. Looking for suggestions. I have the 1k dollars for the Elka but I am debating if its worht the money as there are other farkles on my list.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the way I'm going. Half the price and I've heard nothing but good about his work.

http://www.sasquatchrider.com/
I considered but here is my rational for not. If I were to ever consider selling the bike and i had an Elka on, i can always take the shock off and sell it (putting the stock back on). With the sasquatch its a garunteed 500 bucks invested into the stock shock.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've re-sprung a 650 with a Wilburs rear spring. This isn't a simple project. There is a very small set screw that holds the adjustable spring compression collar onto the shock body. If yours is frozen (as mine was), it is very difficult to remove. I had to drill mine out and then drill and tap a new hole for a new set screw (I did mine on a milling machine). While you can get the old spring off easy enough, the new spring will be taller and stiffer, requiring a press to put it all back together. I had to cut a wooden collar to go around the spring eye so I could compress the spring enough to tighten the set screw.

My point is, if you want to change the spring on the stock shock, it can be done, but it isn't necessarily easy. It is much simpler to buy a full replacement shock already built and valved for your body weight. You'll be happier...

Steve

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My Elka is on its way. I can't attest to it's worth but have heard nothing but good things. Keeping that stock shock is a very good idea. I say get it!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Any of the aftermarket rear shocks are better than OEM. In fact, OEM costs more than the HyperPro I bought. It was about $625 in 2008.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Any of the aftermarket rear shocks are better than OEM. In fact, OEM costs more than the HyperPro I bought. It was about $625 in 2008.
What are your opinions of the Hyperpro? I am considering a new rear shock, and have been eying the Elka. I'd appreciate your feedback on the Hyperpro.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What are your opinions of the Hyperpro? I am considering a new rear shock, and have been eying the Elka. I'd appreciate your feedback on the Hyperpro.
It's built for my weight and riding style and I wouldn't change a thing. I destroyed the OEM shock on a certain dirt road in New Brunswick in Sept. 2008.

As far as I know the HyperPro is the least expensive option available, however, the quality is every bit as good as any aftermarket shock I've seen.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Progressive Suspension Model 465 shock, $365 @ murphskits.com, adjustable rebound, stock height or 1" lower. Remote preload adjuster said to be coming in the future at higher cost.

Ricor shock, $550, 3rd generation Inertia Active System, Valved and sprung for your weight, Price includes the spring and one re-valve at no charge within 90 days, no adjustments except preload; remote preload adjuster +$220.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ricor shock, $550, 3rd generation Inertia Active System, Valved and sprung for your weight, Price includes the spring and one re-valve at no charge within 90 days, no adjustments except preload; remote preload adjuster +$220.
That seems pretty darn expensive for a shock that only has preload only. Heck I can buy a Ohlins shock through Kyle racing on his advrider group buy for 665 bucks and that has remote preload and rebound damping. The Ohlins can also be rebuilt a ton of differnt dealers. Not so sure about a ricor. If I replace the shocks its between a Ohlins, Hyperpro and Elka I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts