StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of used 09 here. PO took excellent care of bike, however two things about bike I want to change and hope someone here will know.
1- How do you properly re-install the rubber mat on the rear rack? I pulled the end off one of the "tits" after trying to shove them through the rack to no avail.
2-Does anyone know a source for the rubber sleeves that fit aroung the mirror stalks? Mine is missing the one around the upper RH swivel..
Thanks,
Tom Maxey
Roanoke, Va

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome!

Regarding installing the rubber mat, I have not done it myself, but I think it would help to lube the rubber 'tits' with some dish soap or something and push from the top side. I believe I used soapy water to remove my rubber mat that way.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Lubricating them and pulling them through with a circular motion is what has been suggested in other threads.

Personally, I plan to just cut them off and if/when I want the rubber mat back on I'll just use some rubber cement - pretty strong glue but not permanent.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Soap helps

I agree that soap helps, but I also used nail clippers to trim the rubber flanges of each tit just a bit. My pad is usually off, so I can bolt a box to the rack. Sometimes the box is quite large, but I can still see around it.

The boots around my mirrors were perhaps made of poor quality rubber, because they made my fingers dirty whenever I touched them. When one disintegrated, I brushed off the particles it left behind, and ripped off the other one, which partly crumbled in my hand. I left the stalks bare, but once in a while I think about painting them black ... just think about it and don't actually do it ... maybe some day. But then I couldn't ride the bike until the paint dried.

Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
I'll clip the tabs this weekend and put the mat back on.
The rubber around the mirrors is pretty chalky, and I noticed that as well. Anyone know of an inexpensive replacement mirror for the DL 650?

·
Registered
926 Posts
The rubber on my mirror stalks is also very dirty. I learned this the other day when I was handling the rubber to see how my mirror extenders were going to fit. Got to the office and found that I had left dark black smears all over my face from scratching an itch with my rubber-coated fingers. I looked like an american football player.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi max
i just had the rubber pad off and on my rack the other night while mounting a shad trunk base.
to get the pad back on, i squirted i little bit of windex on the rubber nub, then pulled with a pliers, up and in a circular motion. after 6 or so motions, it popped through.

i ended up cutting off the back 2 nubs and using those 2 holes and drilling 2 other holes in the rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts