StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was putting on a new rear tire just before a planned ride and figured I'd check the bearings while I was at it. I have 43,000 mi. on my DL650. The wheel bearings felt OK, but the sprocket hub bearing was dry. I mean DRY. I could grasp the spacer between my fingers and spin it like a top for about 3 or 4 seconds. There was NO grease in it. There wasn't any noticeable play and it felt smooth and not notchy, so I figured I'd somehow try to re-grease it. The grease seal on the sprocket hub has been worn for quite some time and I should have replaced it long ago.

First, I tapped out the spacer from the inner race of the bearing. I got out my big bearing packer and was able to fit it to either side of the hub and put the grease gun to it. After scooping out a pound of extra grease from the bearing area and cleaning it all up with paper towels, I spun it and could feel plenty of resistance indicating that the grease had found it's way into the bearing. I took it for a 250 mi. ride with no issues and I'll run it until my new bearing set comes in. Maybe longer.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Wow that was pretty kool

And Knowing your penchant for DIY tutorials :fineprint: I'm sure your writing up the Whole step b step procedure with footnoted Photos:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The wheel bearings felt OK....
Mine felt okay last week when I was changing the tire, but I didn't like the way they looked at all, so since I had a new set of bearings and seals on hand, I took a ride to Bettencourt's and Gary did the swap in about 20 minutes -- that beats the hell out of me attempting the job in the driveway without appropriate tools.

I also had a new sprocket carrier on hand since there was a stripped stud on the old one. (I'm down to my last one now...)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And Knowing your penchant for DIY tutorials :fineprint: I'm sure your writing up the Whole step b step procedure with footnoted Photos:green_lol:
You know, I thought about going in the house and getting the camera, but I was running late to meet up for a lunch ride with a bunch of fellow ADV'ers. When I get my new bearings and have the carrier off, I'll put my bearing packer on there and do a little tutorial and photo shoot.

Mine felt okay last week when I was changing the tire, but I didn't like the way they looked at all, so since I had a new set of bearings and seals on hand, I took a ride to Bettencourt's and Gary did the swap in about 20 minutes -- that beats the hell out of me attempting the job in the driveway without appropriate tools.

I also had a new sprocket carrier on hand since there was a stripped stud on the old one. (I'm down to my last one now...)
20 min. is quick for that job. Did you use OEM bearings? Did the carrier come with a bearing and seal in it?

When y'all are saying sprocket carrier bearing, are you talking about #14 on this diagram?
Yup, that's it and #15 is the seal that wears out very quickly and allows water to enter.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I replaced that brg with a sealed one.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts