StromTrooper banner

How does the ravetech over dash GPS mount work for you?

• Use it, love it, works great.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Use it... lots of vibrations, don't love it.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Used it, didn't like it, moved on to something else.

• I don't know and probably don't have much advice to give.

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and the only other thread regarding the ravetech overdash GPS mounts was locked just as people were starting to report their thoughts on this mount due to the sellers fighting. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/240537-ravetech-overdash-gps-mount-adventuretech-mentioned-too-7.html

I don't want to re-hash the bickering, and honestly I don't care to hear from the vendors (unless they want to PM me a discount code :grin2:)... I want to hear from real users.

I want to get an overdash GPS mount and will primarily be using my cellphone (LG G4) in an X-grip mount.

I am looking for honest reviews though... how bouncy is this setup? I run a lot of gravel roads, and if this thing is just going to bounce all over the place then I will look for a different solution.

I've read that using a short RAM arm mounted vertically is the way to do it...

So? Reviews?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have one on my 2013 DL650. It arrived to Southern California five business days from the day I ordered it. Install is clean and simple, although I did manage to push a well nut through the hole and had to fish it out :mad:
At first ride I was a little concerned about the amount of vibration my GPS took while mounted with a 2" extension mainly horizontal from the ram ball. But, with over 1000 miles so far everything is good. I like the way it looks, and I'd highly recommend getting one to keep your gps/cell phone in your line of sight.
BTW...I have a Madstad bracket and touring windscreen installed and absolutely no interference with the Ravetech mount :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Iordered mine 2 months ago and still dont have it. doubt i'll ever see it, ravetech hasn't done anything about it. would not deal with him again.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I went with Adventuretech's mirror extenders with an extra farkle hole in which I mounted a RAM 1" ball, then a standard coupler with a 1" to 17mm Garmin ball size adapter. The Nuvi GPS is almost mirror height and easy to look at without looking down.

PS: I went down a road yesterday that literally looked like an earthquake had come through - the cagers on the opposite side were tiptoeing through at 10 mph or so - I went sailing through that lumpy stuff about 35 mph and the GPS was still pretty steady - given the bike was in rough seas.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
ya I wish I had of just went with the adventuretech one but I liked the look of the ravetech one better... If this happened with Rick and it was lost in the mail he would have sent me another one a month ago. lesson learned.. the hard way lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never did end up getting a overdash mount... but I am also going to avoid ordering from overseas. Too much hassle if you end up with a dud or no delivery at all.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Works great, have bought a couple of thigs from them, always efficient service, I have a Iphone in a lifeproof case attached and works great. Use it with bluetooth into the helmet and get great directions in cities I am unfamiliar with. Highly recommended

Reactions: Rave-Man

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine works ok, bit of vibration because I have the Garmin Zumo in the Touratech locking mount so the whole unit is heavy. I just put some rubber padding under it to give some support on the top of the dash.
(No problems with Ravetech, good communication, helpful and replaced my bash plate promptly when I reported a problem with it.)

Reactions: Rave-Man and jrnyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW...I have a Madstad bracket and touring windscreen installed and absolutely no interference with the Ravetech mount :thumbup:
Searching old threads on this website is amazingly helpful. This is exactly what I needed to know. I was hesitant to order form overseas but I pulled the trigger. If you use your Visa card with paypal and the product is a no show you can dispute the charges through Visa.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Works fine for me , I haven't noticed any problem with vibration .

I use a Tomtom rider

·
Registered
705 Posts
Searching old threads on this website is amazingly helpful. This is exactly what I needed to know. I was hesitant to order form overseas but I pulled the trigger. If you use your Visa card with paypal and the product is a no show you can dispute the charges through Visa.
Was wondering if it ever showed up...and if so...how long did it take and what are your thoughts on it? Considering one for my '12 DL650 Adventure.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,292 Posts
I run the over dash mount from Rick at adventuretech.biz . I had one from SW Motech before it. They usually make really good stuff but I just could not live with the vibration it gave the gps. Ricks is built much stiffer and helped. I put a piece of foam under the mount above the dash to stiffen it a bit.

Beware, no matter how good the mount is or isn't, the dash on the 2012-2016 DL 650 just isn't stiff enough to mount heavy stuff to and not move when on rough roads/trails!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Don't do it. Above 75 mph mine vibrates quite a bit and I even put the shorter RAM extension on it. I am tempted to sell it and buy one of Ricks and see it it is more stable. Recently I just moved the Zumo to the center handlebar mount(which in the past I only used off road) and it is rock solid there all the time. I just don't like looking down at it and think above the dash is safer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ravetech vs. Adventuretech review

I purchased the Ravetech accessory bar for my 2015 DL650. I liked that I'd be able to install other accessories on the bar along with my GPS. Also, the price was decent and it looked good so I went for it. It arrived in Canada about 3 weeks after ordering, well packaged and in perfect condition. Installation was easy: remove windscreen, install the well nuts, install the bracket, reinstall the windscreen. And this is where I ran into some issues. First of all, the well nuts are not of the best quality. I had difficulty tightening the screws to the point where the GPS mount was snug. One brass insert actually pulled out of the rubber, and I was NOT over tightening. The next issue was with the RAM ball. When I reinstalled my MRA Vario Touring windscreen it touched the back of the RAM ball. This did not prevent me from installing the RAM arm, but I was worried it would cause problems. I was right. First of all, it was difficult to get my hand in there to tighten the knob on the RAM arm, but I managed. I then went on a 500km road trip with my new setup and, while it was not terrible, it wasn't great either. Every bump in the road caused the GPS and windscreen to vibrate (I have a Garmin 396 for what it's worth). This was very annoying because the windscreen did not vibrate before the installation, at least not nearly this much. There is no way to change this, other than adding more spacers when mounting the windscreen in order to clear the RAM ball. This would require 1) finding or making the appropriate spacers and 2) longer screws. But I digress. When I got to my destination I removed the windscreen to see if there was anything I could do. I then noticed that the GPS mount was loose - the screws had backed out a bit. So I tightened them up again, and reinstalled the windscreen, realizing I could do nothing about the RAM ball touching it. Rode home the next day and experienced the same issues: the mount was loose again, vibration, etc. Regarding the accessory bar itself: I thought I'd be able to mount a RAM ball bracket here and use it to hold my phone while it charged when needed. However, once the GPS is mounted to the ball with either a 2" or 3" arm there is barely any room to install a bracket on the bar. And no room to actually install an accessory, like an X-frame to hold my phone. I was disappointed with pretty much everything about this GPS mount so I decided to remove it.

I then ordered the Adventuretech GPS mount. It arrived in about 2 weeks and I installed it yesterday. This is a very high quality, albeit simple (which is good!) piece of equipment. Much thicker aluminum than the Ravetech, and well finished. Quality well nuts, stainless steel hex head fasteners - all good stuff. Installation was very easy and, best of all, it does NOT touch my MRA windscreen. Doesn't even come close. The ball is mounted in a much better position and I can actually tighten/loosen the RAM arm easily (difficult to do on the Ravetech due to the ball position). The best part is that there is virtually no vibration. The GPS doesn't shake and neither does my windscreen. I am VERY happy with this product and regret only that I didn't purchase it in the first place.

So, in a nutshell - Ravetech - Good: well manufactured, nice finish, decent price. Bad: thinner material, subject to vibration, didn't work well with my MRA windscreen, ball position makes accessing arm knob difficult, accessory bar is essentially useless (for me anyway), poor quality well nuts. Adventuretech - Good: solid, well manufactured, nice finish, quality hardware, easy to access RAM ball, virtually no vibration, ball does not touch my windscreen, pricier than Ravetech but well worth it. Bad: nothing that I can think of. Okay, shipping to Canada takes time, but that's not Rich's fault! :)

Thanks Rick for another excellent product!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts