StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to save anyone thinking about mounting one of these Ravetech GPS mounts on their 2017+ V-Strom 650s, which cost $48.17 with shipping on ebay.
IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0927.JPG .

I waited exactly one month for the mount to arrive from Thailand and upon arriving I mounted it on my 2019 V-Strom 650XT Touring. Once I had it installed on my bike I installed my tried and true Garmin 396 and my TireGard TPMS. I like having the GPS and TPMS display mounted above the instrument panel so they are in good view as I drive down the road, and thought this mount would work great. Well yesterday I went on a 360 mile ride, the first ride since mounting the RaveTech mount. I was really disappointed on how much the GPS bounced around and how much the Ravetech mount flexed as the GPS bounced around. At highway speeds on a smooth road my GPS looked like it was mounted in a paint shaker and was unreadable, making the mount useless. On dirt roads the GPS shook so much that the TPMS display would start hitting the GPS. Truly the biggest waste of $48.17 I've ever spent on a product.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I initially had the same experience with the one from AdventureTech. But when I positioned the RAM arm close to vertically upward instead of angling more horizontally towards my head (like you have yours), the shaking drastically improved and I was very satisfied. Try that, and use the shortest arm RAM makes (can't tell if you already are).

·
Registered
748 Posts
It appears to me that you have quite a long mounting apparatus in total. The longer the distance from a fixed point to the end, the more flex there is likely to be at that end. Think of an 8ft long 2X2. If you grab it from one end and shake it, the other end will wag and flex visibly, especially if you add weight at the far end, and less and less so as you sight back to where you are holding it. The best way to reduce or eliminate vibration would be to mount the heaviest device as close as possible to where the mount attaches to the bike. Assuming the device below the GPS is a phone cradle, perhaps consider reversing it with the GPS or keeping it in a tank bag or on your person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one and its a waist of money. Did the Colorado BDR with it and it shook around so bad the gps started to come apart after a while.

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
So.......we assume that you reached out to the vendor "first" with questions or complaints?

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
Since my GPS Mount was mentioned, it seems like a good time to point out how supporting site vendors is a good thing.

Ours is 3/16" thick. Tried and proven to work. With a happiness guarantee. 3 day delivery within the U.S.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears to me that you have quite a long mounting apparatus in total. The longer the distance from a fixed point to the end, the more flex there is likely to be at that end. Think of an 8ft long 2X2. If you grab it from one end and shake it, the other end will wag and flex visibly, especially if you add weight at the far end, and less and less so as you sight back to where you are holding it. The best way to reduce or eliminate vibration would be to mount the heaviest device as close as possible to where the mount attaches to the bike. Assuming the device below the GPS is a phone cradle, perhaps consider reversing it with the GPS or keeping it in a tank bag or on your person.
The RAM mounting arm I'm using is the shortest they make for a 1" ball, it's about 1.75 inches from the center of each ball. I tried multiple mounting angles of the arm with the same result, the GPS shakes like crazy. The GPS is mounted on the bottom, with the TPMS display, which weighs next to nothing, mounted just above the GPS. I've used the same set up regarding the same GPS and TPMS display mounted on the same RAM balls and RAM short arm, both on my Africa Twin and Royal Enfield Himalayan, and the GPS doesn't shake at all as I'm driving down the road on those bikes with their mounts.

So.......we assume that you reached out to the vendor "first" with questions or complaints?
I did contact the vendor about the problem. Their suggestion was to change the angle the arm sits at and to remove the TPMS display and mount it on their mount by itself, using one of the other mounting holes in their mount, something I don't want to do as I want to see the flashing warning on the TPMS display if I have a tire problem. Having the TPMS display as high as possible ensures that I will see it. As I've stated above, I did change the angle of the arm which produced the same results, a GPS shaking like crazy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richlandrick of AdventureTech after reading the bad experience I had with the Ravetech dash mount, made me dash shelf for my 2019 V-Strom 650XT. It works great and my GPS no longer acts like it's mounted in a paint can shaker, like it did with the Ravetech mount. I would guess AdventureTech will be selling these soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts