StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience a rattling sound? almost sounds like a key chain rattling around. It's not the chain, and I just put new tires on so it's not that. Any other thoughts? it seems to be coming from the rear of the bike on the exhaust side. I'm thinking something must be lose but I cant find it! It only does it 4-5000rpm.

Bike is a 2018 1000, I've also owned a 2014 1000, 2012 650 and 2005 650 and none of them did this, and this bike didn't either until around 5,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Does the rattle get louder when your riding close to a concrete divider? Try oiling the chain and see if it partially goes away. I know you said it's not the chain, but that sound is hard to pinpoint and it might be reverberating off something on the right side making it sound as though that is where it is coming from.

Check for rocks in front sprocket area as well.

Failing that, I guess you need to check every nut and bolt and make sure rear caliper is installed correctly and nothing loose, or just get a louder muffler and go riding. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Had a LOUD rattle up front in that same rev range. Culprit? The relays for my EB headlight harness vibrating between tank and cheek panel. Zip tie solved it neatly.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Anyone else experience a rattling sound? almost sounds like a key chain rattling around. It's not the chain, and I just put new tires on so it's not that. Any other thoughts? it seems to be coming from the rear of the bike on the exhaust side. I'm thinking something must be lose but I cant find it! It only does it 4-5000rpm.

Bike is a 2018 1000, I've also owned a 2014 1000, 2012 650 and 2005 650 and none of them did this, and this bike didn't either until around 5,000 miles.
In acceleration I hear an odd sound. It does resemble the sound like a key chain rattling on something. So, this could be perfectly normal. What we need are more 17+ owners to chime in.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have crash bars? Sometimes they make strange noises at certain harmonic frequencies.
I do have crash bars and now that you mention it I remember a lot of threads on it. The sound seems to be from the back of the bike though.

Not sure I want to take them off to see if it goes away, they are a pain to install haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts