Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lately noticed what sounds like a rattling or chattering sound that seems to come from the rear of my '12 650. It seems to occur as I'm releasing the clutch and power picks up to the rear tire. It's been hard to isolate what or where it's coming from, because I can't seem to replicate it while the bike's on the center-stand.

Things I've been thinking it could be include the dreaded clutch-rattle, a too-loose chain, or maybe even just my Givi top box vibrating.

What are some ways I might be able to diagnose what I'm hearing?

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
No dreaded clutch rattle in the 650's "that's a 1000 thing", I would take off the top case and check all fasteners first and foremost. Are you sure the cush rubbers are also in good shape, how about chain/sprockets?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same thing. Check the rear axle adjustment bolts on the back of the swingarm. They can loosen up a bit -- if they're loose, snug them up.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
How many miles?

Worn cush rubber dampers and/ or worn sprocket carrier baring.

I assume nobody has messed with the counter sprocket for quite a while so no chance that nut is not tight?

Worn out chain?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike has just shy of 35,000 miles; I got it with 19,600 and am still running the same chain. So, yeah, that's currently my leading suspect. My plan has been to run the bike as is through the remainder of the season, then do a chain/sprockets replacement over the winter.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well if the chain is real bad (a big IF) it can destroy your case. Pull at the chain at the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position. If can see through it replace the chain. Better 200 bucks now than a lot more later.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent some time working on the bike today. After giving the chain a well-needed cleaning and adjustment, I took it for a test-ride and the chattering sound is gone.

Certainly the chain was showing signs of its age, and the front sprocket had the beginnings of some hooking. So if there was any doubt about swapping the chain and sprockets this winter, there isn't any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts