StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the bumpy roads round here the front cowling and givi screen are rattling like crazy and it's very annoying. I have located the issue but not yet found the solution.
I can easily replicate the issue while off the bike my moving the screen though when riding it's much more pronounced.

The black area under the screen is where the problem lies.
Inside the dash below the clocks I have found the two screws which attach this part of the cowling, there is a spacer behind each screw which I can turn freely with my hand however both screws seems to be already fully tightened.
When replicating the fault the cowling has obvious movement behind each screw which is causing my rattling issue. Does anyone know is there a nut at the back of this screw? Do I have to first loosen both screws a bit and then retighten? I'm hoping not to have to remove the entire front just to solve this.
many thanks for all input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If it is simply a case of the identified spacers turning due to the screw being slightly too long, then i suggest that you insert an extra rubber washer / spacer. A rubber washer should be better, first as in a spacer to correct the screw length, then a damper to reduce vibration. Bonus is, that you can make up your own rubber washer(s), if you have the material on hand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the very quick replies as I am working on this as we speak. So to confirm, there is no nut that can fall out at the back of these screws, with no cowling taken off the bike, I can simply unscrew the screws, add a shim and then replace the screws?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
As has been hinted a rattle there has usually been tracked down to missing bolts on the strut that holds the cowling to the steering stem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the bolts that hold the fairing to the front of the neck?
As has been hinted a rattle there has usually been tracked down to missing bolts on the strut that holds the cowling to the steering stem.

Hi thanks, I assume you are referring to these two bolts which indeed are intact. I think the original 2 screws above are indeed the problem, I have a short video clip clearly showing the movement around those screws when I move the screen back and forward by hand, I just need to confirm there are no nuts at the other end of those screws that would fall out if I unscrewed them to place a shim/rubber washer in each.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Yep, that's been the usual cause. Well done checking them because I wasted a lot of time looking for other causes.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
These screws are shoulder bolts with a rubber grommet around them. The whole assembly is designed to be able to move a little.

If there is too much movement you could try to shim the rubber boots a little so they expand (or if they are worn replace them).
blaustrom is on the right track in two ways. 1: it is designed to move a little. Otherwise the plastic is likely to crack if mounted rigidly. 2: Rubber dies over time.

If new OEM rubber barrels are available, buy them and replace. If they are not available then you are into the search for a replacement that walks the "Goldie Locks" line of not too soft and not too hard.

Sometimes engineers select a spring instead of rubber to prevent vibrations. Such as "compresion springs"
Some rubber tubes / hose have a fabric core (reinforced hose)
You might end up stacking Neoprene washers.
All the latter solutions would likely require a longer bolt.
Be sure to let us know how you succeeded.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
….I just need to confirm there are no nuts at the other end of those screws that would fall out if I unscrewed them to place a shim/rubber washer in each.
Don't have your model but I would be amazed if there were a simple nut that can fall out holding those bolts (too complicated and labor intensive during assembly at the plant!). Check the OEM parts list image for your model, it will show you where the bolts go.

Also if you loosen one of the bolts just moderately and then pull/ push on it you will know if the nut moves or not. I bet it will not move!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. adding a rubber washer to each screw did the trick and the rattling has stopped. First pic is the screw when removed, 2nd shows the original rubber in place, 3rd shows the washer I added and 4th shows the finished product, happy days! blaustrom, great tip on loosening moderately and pushing/pulling, maybe obvious to some but not to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took a quick ride today without ear plugs and noticed I had a rattle in the cowling that I never noticed before. How annoying. I guess I will investigate next week over the holidays since I will be replacing the rear ABS sensor I broke :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have the same as my issue, it's literally a five minute job to fix, a bit of a tight space to get the screwdriver in but nothing complicated, and what a joy to have that rattle vanish.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you have the same as my issue, it's literally a five minute job to fix, a bit of a tight space to get the screwdriver in but nothing complicated, and what a joy to have that rattle vanish.
I can replicate the rattle I think by holding the screen and moving it around quickly, I can't see where these screws are though, do I have to remove anything to get access to them, I can't even see where the bloody things are!!o_O

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing needs to be removed to get access to the screws, you do need to turn to full lock for each side, then if you bend down and shine a torch to below and behind the area of the yellow arrows you can see the screws one at a time, turning to left lock and standing on the left side of the bike with the torch enables you to see the screw on the right side and vice versa. When unscrewing I just located the screw with my hand and inserted the screwdriver but you cannot see the screw while you are doing this, it's a feel thing but perfectly doable, also, check again with the torch when tight to ensure the rubber washers are coreectly centred in place.
screws.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think I have located the screws, they are at the inside of the side fairing, easy to see when you do as your describe, however when I try replicating the rattle I hear by shaking the screen I see no movement at all at these screws, I'll try fitting the rubber washers and tighten them and see if it makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts