StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Wee for about 6 months, and I have noticed that at 5400-5500 RPM I hear a metallic rattle from somewhere below me.
I suspect the little metal mesh piece mounted to the front of the radiator, although every time I inspect it the small rubber seats seem to prevent any metal to metal contact.
It wouldn't be so annoying, except that my cruising RPM is typically at 5400-5500 RPM. Has anyone else had this experience? What other components should I be checking?

Vince

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
do you have an engine guard? Givi maybe ? When the bike is parked, give it a good wrap with your palm, or a rubber mallot, does it rattle...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
do you have an engine guard? Givi maybe ? When the bike is parked, give it a good wrap with your palm, or a rubber mallot, does it rattle...

+1 Yea...That's exactly what I thought also.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
How can you hear anything at that speed?
I'd not be able to hear anything coming from the radiator; any sound from that area would be completely drowned out by chain noise...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is there anything under your seat making the noise? Seems like a long shot considering any noise coming from there would be quiet. The only thing I'd do is just get off, put'er in neutral and have someone rev the engine and put your ear down there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same issue with my SWMotek crashbars/ skid plate. There is a spacer that fits in the middle front of the crashbars that comes loose. I fixed mine with a hose clamp to tighten it down.

No more vibration:thumbup:

06 Wee well farkeled

·
Registered
2 Posts
GiVi bars or skid plate rattle

I have an identical problem with my 2011 DL650. It appeared after I installed the GiVi bars, and subsided after I duct-taped the junction in the front. It reappeared with a vengeance though after I added a SW Moto skid-plate.
All bolts are tight, and I can't duplicate the rattle tapping around with a mallet with the engine stopped.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I have an identical problem with my 2011 DL650. It appeared after I installed the GiVi bars, and subsided after I duct-taped the junction in the front. It reappeared with a vengeance though after I added a SW Moto skid-plate.
All bolts are tight, and I can't duplicate the rattle tapping around with a mallet with the engine stopped.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:
It's unlikely to be 'engine noise', most likely a loose bolt or a stone trapped somewhere.
Check the bolts on the steering stem and the cabling inside the front faring as long shots - also check your chain for wear - they get quite noisy EOL.

IF it's still the Givi's - loosen the bolts one side of the crash bars, pull that front joint apart as far as you can, add silicone adhesive both sides, re-tighten everything.

The Givi bars vibrate like crazy @~5000rpm on the older DL's, if you put a hand on the bars riding you'll probably feel it.

Pete

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I had a similar situation.

Turned out to be a mis-aligned fairing bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's unlikely to be 'engine noise', most likely a loose bolt or a stone trapped somewhere.
Check the bolts on the steering stem and the cabling inside the front faring as long shots - also check your chain for wear - they get quite noisy EOL.

IF it's still the Givi's - loosen the bolts one side of the crash bars, pull that front joint apart as far as you can, add silicone adhesive both sides, re-tighten everything.

The Givi bars vibrate like crazy @~5000rpm on the older DL's, if you put a hand on the bars riding you'll probably feel it.

Pete
I'll go the silicone adhesive route. The insert in the middle is definitely loose, and the bolt cannot be tightened any more. It may be a design fault on GiVi's part. The insert should have been made of a tight fitting resilient material less prone to rattling.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reviving this old thread.

My Givi bars were installed at 5k miles, the bike now has 13k miles and just started to rattle.

After searching and reading a few threads I decided to remove the bars on one side, and load the center plug up w/ black RTV. I reassembled but have not replaced any bolts yet. Figured the RTV will harden and make a vibration dampener of some sort.

The reason I revived this thread was to share that if I had to do it over again I think I'd cut a small piece of the correct ID heater hose and make a slip cover over the plug that rattles.

Bet that will work.

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2014 was was/is making the rattle pre-farkle. Sounds like it came from the left. I took of the front sprocket guard and looked at clutch cables and found no loose bolts, I did find a thin piece of metal that looked like some sort of bracket or guard. About 2 inches long of thin aluminum. it's under the bottom left bolt holding the front sprocket on. This could be it but not sure what it does, it's just dangling.

I find it odd people are all having these problems at 5500 rpm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts