Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a center stand for my 2012 DL-650 on March 3. At that time I was told it was out of stock but they expected more from the fabrication shop in about 2 weeks. No big thing, or so I thought. Three weeks later on March 24th I received word that the fab shop pushed it back to April 4th. Still not an issue, I do not need it until the end of May when I retire and start a major trip. Two weeks later and a couple phone conversations and I am informed they "hired" and new employee to get this all sorted out. He replied that they would be receiving their shipment from fabrication on May 2nd. Two months after I placed my order. On May 7th I received an email thanking me for my patience and they were upgrading shipping to 3 days instead of 5 days at no cost to me. They sent me a tracking number when it actually shipped on May 9th. I checked the tracking and it was due in 5 days. They could not even get their upgraded shipping apology right. 5 days later it arrived. I immediately installed it following their instructions. I put the bike up on the center stand and it almost fell over, falling away from me. It seems the fabrication shop welded on the piece you step on to raise the bike to low on the center stand and it contacted the ground before the left side foot did. Tipping the bike to the right. NOT GOOD. I should have packaged it up and shipped it right back but I decide to just cut the piece off and reweld it higher up so it would not hit the ground. The worked out well although now I found the center stand stops were too low and the bike went to far back when on the stand. It was damn near impossible to get it off the stand. After pushing the bike forward several times in my attempts to get off the stand I had my wife push with me while I held the stand in place with my foot. It is now off my bike and a new stand from Twisted Throttle is on the way. This stand was the biggest piece of after market **** I have ever bought in 45 years of riding. The engineering and fabrication appears to have been done by a 10 year old kid. I will not buy anything from them ever again. I know several people are happy with their products and maybe it was them switching to a new fabrication shop but if that is the way they do business, I am surprised that they are still around at all.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear of your misfortunes... I seem to have been hearing an increasing number of HT horror stories over the last year or so... they are, or were, big in the KLR world as well, and a lot of KLR folks have had similar bad experiences.

I have a Twisted Throttle center stand on my '11, and it works great... bike goes on and off of it with hardly any effort at all.

One caution on the TT stand... I learned the hard way to not use it in windy or un-monitored situations, unless you have a very good, level spot. I left mine on the center stand over night at a hotel one time and woke to find it on its side in the morning. The center stand works fine, I have no complaint about it at all. Just be aware the bike may not be as stable on it as it may at first appear.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Did you complain to Happy Trails about the manufacturing defect before you posted this? Did they offer any sort of satisfaction on your complaint?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you complain to Happy Trails about the manufacturing defect before you posted this? Did they offer any sort of satisfaction on your complaint?
By cutting and rewelding the piece you stand on, I am certain that voided any type of warranty it may have had. And after waiting over 2 months for delivery I would rather eat the bad part then even deal with them again. It was just not a pleasant experience at all. I am leaving for a ride to Alaska in a couple weeks and I just could not chance riding without a center stand for that trip. If that fabricator used the same jig to weld them all, I am sure I would be waiting quite a while for a proper one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh yes! Let's shift production to third world countries. We all want to pay cheap semi slavery work, and make the stock rise. I'm Brazilian, but... I always look for that sticker MADE IN AMERICA. Sometimes, yes I pay more, but I think I'm doing something good to keep people here employed. Trying to do my part

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Happy Trails stuff is made in America; in Boise, Idaho, to be exact. Larry's dissatisfaction is based on a part that was made in America, not in a third world country.

Larry, for the benefit of guys like sranderle, is there any chance of you posting a photo of the Happy Trails stand showing where the original foot step was attached? If his is in the same position as yours was, it might save him (and others) the same trouble as you had, and they can return it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I've been a happy customer of HT for 12 years, now. I have found their products and customer service to be first rate, and they have always treated me well. I know Tim, the owner, personally and he is an upright guy, and takes pride in his products. But every once in awhile you get someone who messes up. Could have just been a bad day for the guy when he fabbed the stand. I also know (because I lived nearby their place) that this time of the year they get super busy. They do a huge mail order business, both domestically as well as overseas, and sometimes things slip through the cracks. It's unfortunate, but it does happen. Happy Trails is not a bad company, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Sure love the rack and panniers I have from them, no vendor is perfect 100% of the time, but how they handle that imperfection is what matters most.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy Trails stuff is made in America; in Boise, Idaho, to be exact. Larry's dissatisfaction is based on a part that was made in America, not in a third world country.

Larry, for the benefit of guys like sranderle, is there any chance of you posting a photo of the Happy Trails stand showing where the original foot step was attached? If his is in the same position as yours was, it might save him (and others) the same trouble as you had, and they can return it.
It would be quite easy to see if it is bad. Just put the stand on the ground and see if both feet are squarly on the ground. It the foot step is wrong you will not be able to get both feet flat on the ground. Good Luck, I hope yours works well and is incident free.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I've been a happy customer of HT for 12 years, now. I have found their products and customer service to be first rate, and they have always treated me well. I know Tim, the owner, personally and he is an upright guy, and takes pride in his products. But every once in awhile you get someone who messes up. Could have just been a bad day for the guy when he fabbed the stand. I also know (because I lived nearby their place) that this time of the year they get super busy. They do a huge mail order business, both domestically as well as overseas, and sometimes things slip through the cracks. It's unfortunate, but it does happen. Happy Trails is not a bad company, IMO.
I was happy in my dealings with them too. I had a bunch of questions to ask before I bought a couple of their products, and they were very responsive and helpful. I love their racks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a similar horror story from HT. I ordered Crash Bars for my GS. They had them in stock, but it took 4 phone calls and 3 weeks to get them to put them in a box and ship them to me.

The end plates I ordered at the same time, never arrived. I called and were told they were on backorder. Something they NEVER MENTIONED in any of my previous phone calls/emails. They promised them to me in 3 weeks. 3 MONTHS went by and no end plates. HT kept giving me excuses about fabrication problems and moving shops and this and that. I ended up sending a letter to the BBB along with a copy to HT. I also asked my credit card company to work with HT to get my money back for the end plates (thank got for 1 year "warranty" and buyer protection). Suddenly they were very responsive and I got my end plates within a week. :headbang:

I've gotten a lot of comments from other GS owners on my crash guards with end plates and people want to know where to get them. Then I tell them my horror story and they all say they will stick with Touratech/AltRider/Twisted Throttle.

I will NEVER do business with them again. And as much as I like their product, and think it's a good product for a good price. Their customer service is so horrible, I will spend my money at another company that treats me better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Center Stand

I also had a delay in getting the HT 2012 DL650a center stand, ..... back ordered.

While it took about a month to receive it, the fit and finish are great.

I used it all the time and have had no issues with tip over or height. Works great for me.

HT over time improves their product and if you look closely the most recent installation instructions have been improved and spacer washers are now included.

So for $149 dollars the stand is a bargain.

Sounds like there is variation between HT products so your happy(ness) may vary

·
Registered
944 Posts
I also had an issue with HT and their lack of delivering a top case as promised. Each promise of a shipping date was broken with one excuse and then another. Good quality case but no follow up when shipment was delayed. I had to keep emailing THEM to get info. Poor customer service.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I placed a phone order with HT for a center stand last week and was told it would ship on or about July 7th. I did not receive an email confirmation of shipment so I called today to check status. I have been told there is now a delay and the stands won't be available for shipment until July 18th. Based on some of the experiences shared in this thread, I'm getting a bit nervous...

I don't mind being patient for a product that is a good value. I just hope the wait is worth it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I placed a phone order with HT for a center stand last week and was told it would ship on or about July 7th. I did not receive an email confirmation of shipment so I called today to check status. I have been told there is now a delay and the stands won't be available for shipment until July 18th. Based on some of the experiences shared in this thread, I'm getting a bit nervous...

I don't mind being patient for a product that is a good value. I just hope the wait is worth it.
I have had my problems with HT but their products are worth the wait in my book. When I buy from them now I just go in with the mindset it will take awhile to get what I ordered that way I'm not disappointed. I should add that I talked to a guy a few weeks ago at a ADV rally from Boise that was close to HT and he said one of their main fabricators or designer's had hurt his neck and they were having a tough time replacing him.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
466 Posts
I I immediately installed it following their instructions. I put the bike up on the center stand and it almost fell over, falling away from me. It seems the fabrication shop welded on the piece you step on to raise the bike to low on the center stand and it contacted the ground before the left side foot did. Tipping the bike to the right. NOT GOOD. I should have packaged it up and shipped it right back but I decide to just cut the piece off and reweld it higher up so it would not hit the ground. The worked out well although now I found the center stand stops were too low and the bike went to far back when on the stand. It was damn near impossible to get it off the stand. After pushing the bike forward several times in my attempts to get off the stand I had my wife push with me while I held the stand in place with my foot. It is now off my bike and a new stand from Twisted Throttle is on the way. This stand was the biggest piece of after market **** I have ever bought in 45 years of riding. The engineering and fabrication appears to have been done by a 10 year old kid. I will not buy anything from them ever again. I know several people are happy with their products and maybe it was them switching to a new fabrication shop but if that is the way they do business, I am surprised that they are still around at all.
I had exactly the same issue with my HT center stand when I got it. They were helpful-ish on the phone. I was about to take it off because it was obviously defective -- and then I noticed there are other mounting holes on the bike. When I lined I up with those it actually fit up higher to the swingarm. The idiot mechanic [me :biggrinjester:] bolted it on wrong. When bolted up properly it works great. Bike is steady and it is easy to use.
Quality is also good.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
687 Posts
I ordered a skid plate from them & installed it. Didn't like the way it fit. (It needs a redesign IMO) It went on okay, it was more the overall shape under the oil filter I didn't like, too much space.
I called, got a return authorization, & sent it back. They refunded me.
I would definitely do business with them again.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I filed a BBB complaint concerning HT's repeated failure of promised shipment dates. That was many months ago and yesterday I received a followup from BBB saying that HT feels that my issue was resolved because the HT rep I was communicating with is no longer working for them and that they shipped my order the day after filing my complaint. Say what?????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts