StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Capped off my magnificent ride on Friday by running over a deer at about 75mph on 395 north of Reno. We were riding in a staggered formation about 8:30 and it was just getting dark, the lead bike come over a hill and there was a dead deer laying in the center of the lane, both bikes in front of me swerved and ran over its legs. Meanwhile I had seen something move on the left shoulder and had glanced to see if it was a deer (ironic huh?). When I looked back to see why their tailights had swerved I saw it and it was too late to swerve. I put some weight on the pegs and leaned back, running over its neck. Hopped over it REALLY hard, the bike in front of me said he looked in his mirror to see my headlight point at the sky, then saw my tailight above my head. I somehow rode out the severe wobble that ensued and got it straightened out while staying in my lane. I slowed, ensured the bike was running straight, checked the vitals on the bike, and continued along until the next exit. I looked the bike over and amazingly there is ZERO damage. There is fur stuck all over the kickstand, kickstand spring, bottom of the shock, the exhaust clamp, and even a blob stuck in my rear wheel, but no damage. Not so sure the Hayabusa's I was riding with would have fared so well. I am thankful that it ended the way it did, as this could have been pretty ugly. The one thing I can't figure out though is how the deer pooped in MY pants?? :yikes: Ride Safe all, never know what will come to bite you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow, glad you fared so well. Guess all that ground clearance pays off on the street too. And there's no substitute for staying "loose" in a crisis. Good luck cleaning out your pants.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Glad you pulled that one out! I have never struck a deer here in Upstate N.Y., and I hope never to have that experience. Certainly not on a motorcycle. Deer do know how to "come out from nowhere". Safe riding.

Now go change your underwear!:green_lol:

·
Registered
15,625 Posts
So, you had little pellets of deer poop in your shorts, eh?
Amazing what a little adrenaline can do to the biological functions.
Glad you fared well.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Good job riding over the forest rat.

Rule of thumb...try to miss any critter that is too big to eat at one sitting.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Lucky it was the neck. Lucky it had no big antler rack. Lucky it was dead! You many now change your name to Lucky.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hit a big dead racoon once with my cruiser, would not want to even think about what happened to you.

Glad you are safe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
706 Posts
Aw come on, please tell us you had your video camera running for this one.

Glad you weren't hurt...

·
Registered
350 Posts
You are indeed a lucky rider. I see dead deer all the time, and wonder when my luck will run out. The closest I came was running into 2 Elk. I can only imagine how bad hitting an Elk would be on a cycle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad you made it out of that one okay!

I ran over a dead deer with my car. Got it in between the wheels, but it was too big. I did a ski jump at about 70. Looked like a hairy hamburger under my car, less the bun. Can't even imagine what it'd be like on two wheels, it was scary enough on four

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I can guarantee that your experience was a lot more fun than hitting a live deer.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I suspect the "chain off the sprocket" appearance is a shadow cast from the chain onto the sprocket by strong lighting from the right. But the tire nick looks real.

·
Registered
158 Posts
that's not a shadow

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bit of a knick in the sidewall as well
Good call out, I had not noticed it. I went out there and looked at the rear tire and the chain/sprockets again.

There is definitely a slit in the sidewall, but the black around the chain is "gunk" not a shadow or a problem. I've been using Maxima chain lube and it gets dirty fast.

Best price I've found on a replacement Trailwing is $121. I'll be ordering one before I do any more riding.

·
Registered
574 Posts
it's happened to me a couple of times going to work in the dark. See the deer too late. I brake if I can and then stand on the pegs and pull in the clutch. Afterward gut slime on the tires can make it slick for a minute or two. It's the reason I stopped commuting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts