StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike, be kind! I ran about 17 miles on my newish shinko 705 while it was nearly flat. I knew something wasn't right as it kept wandering back and forth. Got off at the next exit and the tire and wheel were both very hot. The valve core was loose, so I took it out and replaced it with a new one from the truck stop.

I'd been losing a psi or two over night and thought it was normal. I topped it up this morning.

Is it safe to continue riding on this tire? It's a radial tire.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
As long as you have air you can ride it. I rode several miles in the mountains with a flattening 705. I wanted to get to a point I knew was level to do a tire plug. Chip seal on an old tire poked a hole.
I rode another 5 miles on partial air to a gas station to fill it properly.
Some folks ride out a tire even with a plug as get full life out of the tire.
The BMW CHP bikes run on run flat tires. They pick up debris quite often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you have air you can ride it. I rode several miles in the mountains with a flattening 705. I wanted to get to a point I knew was level to do a tire plug. Chip seal on an old tire poked a hole.
I rode another 5 miles on partial air to a gas station to fill it properly.
Some folks ride out a tire even with a plug as get full life out of the tire.
The BMW CHP bikes run on run flat tires. They pick up debris quite often.
It was pretty much flat when I got to the gas station. I was doing about 70 on the interstate for about 15 miles. I bet those run flat tires are stiff!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tire and wheel were both extremely hot. The reason I pulled over was because of the wandering, if I had known it was a flat tire I would of stopped immediately.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Extreme heat is not good for the tire. It may not have the strength as per its original design.

Are you saying that the tire is loosing pressure AFTER the ride or did it loose already before?

I once pretty much destroyed a tire that blew out on the interstate at +70. It also was extreme hot, you could not touch it. When it came off there was like charcoal inside. Based on that experience I would get a new tire. Your life depends on these 2 black rings.

I have no problem plugging a punctured tire and riding it for many miles but your case may be more serious.

·
Administrator
5,583 Posts
Check the sidewalls carefully for any sign of cracking or damage where the rim has sat on the sidewall. I honestly doubt that you could do anywhere near that speed on a tyre with zero pressure, so it still must have had some pressure in it - and that would dramatically reduce the likelihood of physical damage.
It would have got very hot but still may be fine to use. Best to inspect it often for the next 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Extreme heat is not good for the tire. It may not have the strength as per its original design.

Are you saying that the tire is loosing pressure AFTER the ride or did it loose already before?

I once pretty much destroyed a tire that blew out on the interstate at +70. It also was extreme hot, you could not touch it. When it came off there was like charcoal inside. Based on that experience I would get a new tire. Your life depends on these 2 black rings.

I have no problem plugging a punctured tire and riding it for many miles but your case may be more serious.
The tire lost a small amount of air before this incident. Holy shit, were you alright?

At 90 bucks for a tire, I don't have a problem replacing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the sidewalls carefully for any sign of cracking or damage where the rim has sat on the sidewall. I honestly doubt that you could do anywhere near that speed on a tyre with zero pressure, so it still must have had some pressure in it - and that would dramatically reduce the likelihood of physical damage.
It would have got very hot but still may be fine to use. Best to inspect it often for the next 1,000 miles.
Other than the middle losing quite a bit of rubber, it looks normal. When I tried reading the pressure, it read zero and no air escaped like it normally does when you read the pressure.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You should remove the tire and visually inspect the inside. I have seen tires run low that looked good but inside there was shredded rubber. It may seem like a lot of trouble but as blaustrom said, your life depends on this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
inspect inside of tire!

You should remove the tire and visually inspect the inside. I have seen tires run low that looked good but inside there was shredded rubber. It may seem like a lot of trouble but as blaustrom said, your life depends on this.
I agree with above, I use tubliss on my enduro bike and run very low pressure. The inside sidewall goes all to crap and the outside still looks good. I'd replace the tire if the sidewall even feels softer.

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
"Extreme heat is not good for the tire."
Sidecar tire went flat on the freeway and I noticed a pulling to the right. When I finally couldn't hold it any more (Aye, Scotty), I pulled to the side of the road. When I dismounted the tire the tube was so hot that it was writhing on the ground when I fetched it out. Bias ply tire and fairly ruined. You could see the chords broken. I had a spare tube and we made a change and made into a town and a motorcycle dealer for a new tire.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should make this a poll. My vote? New tire dude. Sucks on newish tire but bite the bullet. We want to keep you around. It must have had some air at 70 mph. I can't even roll my 650 out of the garage on 0 psi. Only way to loose 2 psi overnight w/o a leak is if temp drops from like 80 to 30. My newish 705 does loose a little bit but not daily. Makes me check PSI every ride which is a good practice. Are you still loosing air or do you think it was the valve stem? kfh000

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should make this a poll. My vote? New tire dude. Sucks on newish tire but bite the bullet. We want to keep you around. It must have had some air at 70 mph. I can't even roll my 650 out of the garage on 0 psi. Only way to loose 2 psi overnight w/o a leak is if temp drops from like 80 to 30. My newish 705 does loose a little bit but not daily. Makes me check PSI every ride which is a good practice. Are you still loosing air or do you think it was the valve stem? kfh000
I just checked it,and it held overnight. I do believe it was the valve core itself. Which leads me to wonder if the shop that installed the tire is at fault here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Extreme heat is not good for the tire."
Sidecar tire went flat on the freeway and I noticed a pulling to the right. When I finally couldn't hold it any more (Aye, Scotty), I pulled to the side of the road. When I dismounted the tire the tube was so hot that it was writhing on the ground when I fetched it out. Bias ply tire and fairly ruined. You could see the chords broken. I had a spare tube and we made a change and made into a town and a motorcycle dealer for a new tire.
That's insane, I can't even picture that. Glad you were safe!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The tire lost a small amount of air before this incident. Holy shit, were you alright?

At 90 bucks for a tire, I don't have a problem replacing it.
Yes I was alright. The only way to know that you lost pressure in the rear at high speed going straight-line is when you change direction, or in my case when the tire starts to disintegrate. In my case the bike started to shake. I thought I lost the front tier initially!

Note: I plugged the tire with a double string. It held 50 PSI! I rode it another 35 miles or so to the next exit and a shop there. The tire was larger diameter on the left of center and had a significant bulge. It was clear that it was very damaged but it held pressure.

So your tire holding pressure is not a sure sign of it being not damaged!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. Watch the movie The Rider and see how his best friend gets through a day. Then go buy a new tire. Please....

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
"That's insane, I can't even picture that."
It was a little weird rolling around smoldering in the dirt on the side of I 5 going North almost to Hwy 46 off ramp.
It was 88 miles into Paso Robles. I didn't take that very fast.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
By all means listen to this poster.:fineprint:

This is coming from somebody who currently has a plug in his rear tire.:wink2:

BTW - gummy plugs with glue are now my proven fix. This plug is not leaking one bit........!! YAY !!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts