Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so since I got my V-strom I got my first phone mount. Everyone talks about the RAM mounts so I figured I'd get one. Got the Strombone and mounted behind the windscreen and put a RAM x-grip on a short arm. The RAM ball system is excellent, no movement. The RAM x-grip device is junk. I HATE it. Every few hundred feet the slight bumps and such in the road cause my phone to rotate and I have to reach up and straighten it. It is aggravating. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty common issue, it was pissing me off at the beginning, later I got used to it. You could put some gel pad behind the phone to create more friction between the X-grip and the phone. From my experience the twist, if occurs, is minimal when you hold your phone by the upper half to help mitigate the issue with the help of good old gravity. The benefit of the mount is that fits literally everything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One option is to get rid of the xgrip and get that phone mount from Hondo Garage. If you put a ball on their mount you can still use the short arm you have now. I have the xgrip on my wee and the Hondo mount on my DRZ which is very secure despite some pretty rough terrain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One option is to get rid of the xgrip and get that phone mount from Hondo Garage. If you put a ball on their mount you can still use the short arm you have now. I have the xgrip on my wee and the Hondo mount on my DRZ which is very secure despite some pretty rough terrain.
Good lord that's expensive!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Xgrip comes with the x rubber that fits over the four corners of the phone. I usually just hook it on two corners. No problems with movement after that. Without using tether with the xgrip the phone will constantly rotate. The tether should have come with your xgrip, but if for some reason you don't have it you can buy for $4. See Photo. My xgrip and tether have lasted 3 years in use in all kinds of weather

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Xgrip comes with the x rubber that fits over the four corners of the phone. I usually just hook it on two corners. No problems with movement after that. Without using tether with the xgrip the phone will constantly rotate. The tether should have come with your xgrip, but if for some reason you don't have it you can buy for $4. See Photo
It came with but it doesnt fit my phone. RAM website recommend the regular size X-grip for my phone. The X does fit with a bit of room to spare but the tether is not even close. Feel like I should have got the XL

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I use an X Grip with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and while it does occasionally rotate, it is usually due to me bumping it with my arm when turning ignition on, etc. I have used it on some pretty rough roads and it holds the phone well. The issue I have with the X-Grip and my phone is that if I center the phone in the grip, it will push the volume and on/off buttons so I have to mount it low on the phone. Other than that, no issues.

Anyone have a good idea on how to stabilize the usb charging connection when hooking the cable to the phone?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
30 Posts
It came with but it doesnt fit my phone. RAM website recommend the regular size X-grip for my phone. The X does fit with a bit of room to spare but the tether is not even close. Feel like I should have got the XL
I have the iphone 8 plus with a Lifeproof waterproof case on it to protect in foul weather use. I use the xlarge ram holder and tether with the 8 plus . The regular xcross or tether won't fit the plus. The Lifeproof case also have extension tabs at the corners that makes the tether hold even stronger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same rotating issues, I remedied it by turning the xgrip ever so slightly, so that with the phone in the mount, there is a hard stop one of the two directions it can rotate. Its hard to describe but just messing around with it I was able to figure it out. This pretty much stopped the phone from rotating over rough terrain but it does still occasionally happen as it does have space to rotate if it gets going. I should really try the rubber tether, maybe that will fix the issue all together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OP, I'm not sure why your phone cradle is rotating slightly every time it hits a bump as mine stays where I place it. Yes it rotates slightly, but only when I move it. Initially I hated that but it's necessary for the way it's designed and I got used to it and occasionally find it a handy feature.

On a slightly different topic, I place a small square of Velcro or substitute, with the soft side on the phone and the hook side on the cradle. It helps keep the phone locked in the cradle when placing the phone in it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So RAM sent me a bigger tether since the one that came with my mount didn't fit my phone. I will try it out, but I am still waiting for the other new version of their mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have an iPhone 7 or older, all it does is put it to sleep/ reset it by squeezing on the top half. If you hold at the mid level, it is lowering the volume of your music/ maps talking through your phone if you have it connected bluetooth. If you hold it at the bottom, is is not balanced enough to hold in place and always falls off. I can't run this mount on my bicycle or my motorcycle. Is it just the phone or what?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
My favourite holder. Had it for years on my wee. Unfortunately it won't hold the newer/bigger phones without some unorthodox mods.

For the x-grip, I had the same issue. The key was loosening the neck and rotating/adjusting it to compensate for the predictable rotation. No issues now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts