StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a RAM-B-345U or similar Ram mounting plate?? It has a 1" ball mounted to a flat plate, which you then bolt down to your front brake mastercylinder cap (new, longer bolts take the place of the OEM cap bolts). Thinking of one for the Go-Pro. They have a similar plate, just longer...…..multiple holes for rotating the plate around on the MC plate. I just like the 345U since it centers the mass directly above the MC plate. Pro's....or Con's??? I thought I might just make one myself (even ordered some bits from China to do so), but then at $20 or so, I'll just buy one...…….

(y)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm probably just a worry-wart about this type stuff, but I personally would be afraid of the weight of the mount, arm, & GPS ripping open my brake/clutch reservoir with even the slightest tipover impact.. Would make a bad day a lot worse...

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
An alternative is to have the ones that mount on your mirror bracket. I have 4 ram mounts on my bike, one on each mirror mount, the other just outside of the handlebar brackets. Usually my GPS is on the outside left one but if I mount the GoPro it gets that spot and the GPS gets moved to the inside left one..

The mirror mounts I got were:

RAM-B-252U RAM Mounts B-252U Offset M10 Bolt & Mirror Post Base

They fit pretty much perfectly over my mirror extenders.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Looks like a weird place to want to mount something. What would you have mounted that far outboard on the bars? And isn't if going to interfere with your handguards?
Great spot for GoPro, handy spot for GPS, good spot for iPod (on right side in Ram Aquabox.)

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received, and mounted today. Think I'm gonna like it. The GoPro can be aimed to the right side forward, or reversed looking at me (but who wants to watch my head in a video??).
[sorry about the strap in the way.......both wheels off getting new tennis shoes fitted.....Scout 60's....to run faster & jump higher]

·
Registered
562 Posts
First time I've seen that option. Looks simple and simple's usually the best way to go.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Have to agree with post #3 (branthopolis) or post #4 (V-Tom). Anything mounted to the top of a master cylinder either clutch or brake, makes a big target for unwanted damage. Imagine vibration or impact damage causing the master cylinder cover / cap to starting leaking brake fluid over the paint and other parts... That inviting trouble.
Have you had a look at Home made waterproof GPS mount and similar thread?. There is a pix of a bracket in post #27 that you could perhaps emulate, or save time and purchase the mount in Over the Dash GPS Mounts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Why not use a mount that bolts to the center portion of the handlebar with a U-shaped bracket, like the RAM-B-309-7U? That's what I've got and it's rock solid. I use it to hold my phone (with an X-Grip) and that works just fine. But if you have the GoPro adapter you can always work from there, possibly with some sort of extension.

GoPros weigh next to nothing indeed but if you want to point them forward to video the road ahead, they need to protrude outside the windshield and they'll catch a lot of wind that way. Attaching them to the brake fluid reservoir doesn't sound like a good idea then. Plus, anything looking forward I would want to attach to the bike and not the handlebars to eliminate wobble from the steering. (Heck, the same would probably apply to a selfie camera as well. Attaching GoPros to the handlebars just makes the image move more and more.)

Oh, and about GoPro videos in general: Don't overthink the "ideal mounting position" thing. It does not exist. No good motorcycle video has ever been shot from just one mounting angle. You need at least three or four mounting positions on the bike, and the ability to video off the bike (selfie stick, tripod, ...), to get enough sufficient different angles to eventually make the edited video worth watching. (As a suggestion, look at some videos on YT by "Itchy Boots" or "On Her Bike" and see how many different mounting positions they use.)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the master reservoir breaking in a tip-over. I'm pretty sure that any electronic device would separate at the ball connection way before that lid would crack.

As for camera mounts, when I was playing with videos I bought a wheelchair adjustable umbrella mount. Cheap and effective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts