StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my GPSs mounted on RAM mounts on the FJR and V Strom. Recently when going over bumps, the arm kind of slips on the ball and it falls. I have it tightened as much as I can.

Have any of you ever had this happen and if so what can I use to either make the ball grab the socket better or even make it tacky so it cannot slide or rotate on its own?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I haven't had that problem but you might try orienting the assembly to reduce the leverage arm torque it needs to resist going over bumps - if you can.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wonder how long an arm are you using?? I know RAM makes so many possible combinations I lose track. Mine uses a shorter 1-2" arm and it does tighten down so it doesn't slip. I also believe RAM really stands behind their products.....give them a shout for assistance. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
There is not a lot of clearance but a small piece of inner tube or something else along those lines should give you some addition friction.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If all else fails, pick up some E6000 adhesive at the hardware store, and spread a thin layer on the inside of the socket portion of the ball mount and let it dry thoroughly. It will increase the friction between the ball and the inside of the socket and hold the ball in place. I use a combination of homemade ball mounts (made from hardware store threaded balls) and the socket from RAM, and the E6000 holds everything steady.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Scuff up the inside of the arm with Emory cloth or something and wipe down both the arm and ball with nail polish remover or Goof Off.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Seems you are either at the end of the thread of the clamping screw or you bent the extension (very hard to do I think) or the extension castings are just a little burred on the mating faces.
Take the extension apart, check if its bent. If not remove some material from the mating areas so you can subject more pressure at the ball/ socket interfaces. If none of this works replace one or both balls, hopefully the replacements will be a little larger in diameter and allow proper clamping force. Good Luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Be careful when tightening the clamp, I actually broke one when over tightening.:furious:

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Maybe your ball is too small for the clamp. See if you can swap it for a larger one. I have never had any of mine slip on gravel/rock/dirt roads, I have 4 on my bike.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think I could put my whole body weight on mine and it would not move so I think you have a problem.

If you open up the clamp and put a couple of punches from a centre punch on the surface it should add some grip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the necessary information for Ram Ball nirvana is here.

Use the shortest arm possible.

Keep the arm as close to vertical as you can.
Rick

I think you nailed it. Using the long arm on your V Strom windshield mount. It is nearly horizontal so the Zumo 550 and XM puck clear the shield. I think I need to go back to the shorter arm which can angle up a bit as no issues when I did that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts