StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strombone mount and will be adding a locking touratech mount for my zumo 660.

The touratech mount is locking which is a pretty nice feature for those times when you step away for a few mins and want to at least keep the honest thieves away.

It quickly becomes apparent that this is a silly exercise as the whole thing is attached via a RAM mount which has a simple to remove hand accessible nut.

So, In screwing around with this, I found this,

Ram Mount KNOB W/ KEYED LOCK & 1/4"-20 BRASS HOLE RAM-KNOB3L

Which again, is definitely possible to defeat but not as easy as a finger tightened bolt.

So, as usual, a person who REALLY wants my GPS will get it but at least this will keep the honest thieves at bay ...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have that locking knob and like it alot.
Mike

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
You could always just get a 1/4-20 nut instead. While it doesn't lock it isn't easy for a thief to get off unless he has tools, and it cost a lot less. That's what I did, and it takes up a lot less space, and I don't have to worry about loosing the key.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
You could always just get a 1/4-20 nut instead. While it doesn't lock it isn't easy for a thief to get off unless he has tools, and it cost a lot less. That's what I did, and it takes up a lot less space, and I don't have to worry about loosing the key.
^^ This.

Use a nut with a nylon insert and it'll take a long time for anyone to remove the thing. Long enough not to bother.

Also, does it really bother anyone else that Ram doesn't offer metric hardware? I just hate crapping up a nice metric bike with inch size hardware that takes a wrench I don't normally carry...

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
^^ This.

Use a nut with a nylon insert and it'll take a long time for anyone to remove the thing. Long enough not to bother.

Also, does it really bother anyone else that Ram doesn't offer metric hardware? I just hate crapping up a nice metric bike with inch size hardware that takes a wrench I don't normally carry...
That would be an easy one to fix by modifying a metric bolt so that the head would be similar to a 7/16" that is found on a 1/4-20 bolt. Find a metric bolt that requires a 12 mm wrench on the hex, a few strikes with a file on each flat and voila, you've got a metric replacement...

...or add a wee crescent to your kit and you're in!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've got one lying around here someplace. The locking knob is HUGE!!! I stuck with the standard thumb wheel instead. It's tucked up behind the GPS against the windshield, so it's not easy to get to anyways.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ram also sells a tamper proof bolt (IIRC, hex with a shaft in the middle) that is nice and compact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts