StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I cut a notch out on the shoulder that's on the back of the box. I then drilled a hole large enough for the cable to pass through. The notch is on the bottom of the shoulder and the hole is near the top. Once the ball plate is screwed on you can only see the notch from the outside.

Hope this helps. I can take a pic if the above doesn't make sense.

Ken

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its not too much trouble a picture would be very helpful

They have a punch out in the back for the cable but that is exactly where the ball connection goes so I think that is useless. :confused:

My plan was to basically do what you describe

Thanks for the comments. Very helpful

·
Administrator
13,495 Posts
They have a punch out in the back for the cable but that is exactly where the ball connection goes so I think that is useless. :confused:
I don't have mine handy, but if I recall correctly you do punch out in the middle and the cord goes through the little maze behind the mounting plate. That helps stop water from running into the unit. I have ridden my bike in severe rain with no issues of water getting to my iPod.

..Tom

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Could also squeeze a grommet into that hole and make the port (when wire is running through it) pretty damned water tight. It helps immensely to have the round mounting plate with ball because it covers the whole backside mounting area on the aquabox.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Could also squeeze a grommet into that hole and make the port (when wire is running through it) pretty damned water tight. It helps immensely to have the round mounting plate with ball because it covers the whole backside mounting area on the aquabox.
Correct. I thought about just drilling a hole into the box itself. But making it near the mount with the ball plate covering in is a much better solution. Also, I didn't want to use the punch out as it would leave a bigger hole then I needed.

I'll take a couple pics tomorrow...

Ken

·
Registered
708 Posts
can anyone show pics of how they wired thru the punchout as designed, with the ball plate mounted (not cut/drill outs)
just got the aqua box for xmas and saw where the cabling goes and can't figure out how its supposed to work with the ball attached...
thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
can anyone show pics of how they wired thru the punchout as designed, with the ball plate mounted (not cut/drill outs)
just got the aqua box for xmas and saw where the cabling goes and can't figure out how its supposed to work with the ball attached...
thanks
I showed one pic in an earlier post. I drilled another hole in the cutout area and fish the cable through both holes.

Hope this makes sense.

Ken

·
Registered
708 Posts
I showed one pic in an earlier post. I drilled another hole in the cutout area and fish the cable through both holes.

Hope this makes sense.

Ken

yeah i saw it, was hoping for a view with the plate unscrewed from underneath

you just drilled straight thru the side to the center?

·
Registered
962 Posts
yeah i saw it, was hoping for a view with the plate unscrewed from underneath

you just drilled straight thru the side to the center?
That hole is at the 6 oclock position, and I have a 1/2in hole at the top (12 oclock) part of the box where the plate is mounted. Just to try and keep any water out.

Unless I actually submerse the case in water no way the inside would get wet during riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Put my Droid X along with a Boostaroo headphone amp in a Medium-Wide Aqua box. Used a screwdrive and a hammer to do the punch outs, as shown, to run a headphone extension cord and charging cable. Wiring that way definitely doesn't make it 100% waterproof/submersible. Some water could still get in. You could silicon it and make it better.

I ended up giving it to the guy that I traded my DR650 to (for my Wee) because I didn't really like it. I didn't use it in the rain too often to give it a good test but the screen part just didn't inspire confidence. I was constantly having to mess with it to get it to stay on and it felt flimsy.

Good write up here: Motorcycle Mounts - Ram Mount Aqua Box

1 - 16 of 16 Posts