StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to achieve about another inch more of ground clearance under the skid plate. Thinking about raising links. Anyone done this?
Although I lowered my seat as I only have a 30" inseam, so I'd have to figure out how to get the/a new seat back down an inch?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I lifted the back of my Wee by 1", I was not after more ground clearance I just wanted the bike to steer quicker that is why I left the front down 10mm.

To me it made my Wee the perfect bike.

I would love to do my V2 but my legs are not long enough for the wider ride.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
36" inseam here and went with 3/4" raising links....wish I had gone to the 1.5". Keep in mind much over 3/4-1" will require modding the kickstand and center-stand length.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Get Soupy rising links. Soupy has 2 versions lowering and rising. Lowering allow adjustment in 0 to -4" and rising in +/-2" range good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
36" inseam here and went with 3/4" raising links....wish I had gone to the 1.5". Keep in mind much over 3/4-1" will require modding the kickstand and center-stand length.
And hydraulic jack to push off kickstand if you parked on the slop :hide

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lifted the back of my Wee by 1", I was not after more ground clearance I just wanted the bike to steer quicker that is why I left the front down 10mm.

To me it made my Wee the perfect bike.

I would love to do my V2 but my legs are not long enough for the wider ride.
But it did raise your skid plate ground clearance by 1" correct?

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I see no point in the "rear" raising links if the front cannot be raised the same, lowering both ends is the easy solution. That is going to change the rake of the bike, will raise part of the engine case higher in the rear section and lower in the front section.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you raise just the rear (over the hub) 1", you'll lift the midpoint between the hubs a half inch, right? The front edge of the skid plate will be raised even less than that.
The lowest point under the bike is alot closer to rear hub then it is to front so while it's less than 1" it is definitely more than 1/2".

I see no point in the "rear" raising links if the front cannot be raised the same, lowering both ends is the easy solution. That is going to change the rake of the bike, will raise part of the engine case higher in the rear section and lower in the front section.
Yes rake/trail will change but it isn't end of the world there was a build where Aussie owner got 10.5" of clearance.. partly due to rerouting front header.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Not a full 1" but I would say around 3/4" at my kickstand, I added a chunk of plastic cutting board to the kick stand foot to give me a bigger surface and a little lift.

My links were purchased from Rick, his service and the parts supplied were excellent.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I did not take any skid measurements before or after adding the raising links. But, any clearance gained is worth it to me. After doing that and riding quite a bit in the boulder fields I really think that the constant bashing, pinging and scraping has to be molding and bending the skid in our favor as far a clearance goes>:)

Seriously though, the links do create a forward rake to the pan, so if you can get the front up on the obstacle and have any momentum, the thing slides right off after initial contact. This is much better than having a level skid grinding along it entire length which sounds awful and robs us of that precious said momentum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How would raising the rear lower the front?? The front axle is the pivot point. Raising the rear 1" should raise the midpoint between the links and the front axle by 1/2 the amount raised.

Having said that, don't think I'm going to do it. That's "a lot of" effort for an approx 1/2" more ground clearance. Plus I'm not sure how it would effect the center stand operation. Right now my SW Motech is so easy to use I can put the bike up with thongs on. So a 1' raise probably wouldn't be too bad, but who knows?

·
Registered
731 Posts
How would raising the rear lower the front?? The front axle is the pivot point. Raising the rear 1" should raise the midpoint between the links and the front axle by 1/2 the amount raised.

Having said that, don't think I'm going to do it. That's "a lot of" effort for an approx 1/2" more ground clearance. Plus I'm not sure how it would effect the center stand operation. Right now my SW Motech is so easy to use I can put the bike up with thongs on. So a 1' raise probably wouldn't be too bad, but who knows?
It doesn't lower the front, it just changes the rake so the front is lower than the back.

It's an easy and cheap mod to install and see if you like it. Get the raising links, and the kickstand foot from adventuretech, and you will be all set. If your centerstand doesn't work anymore, AND you like the lift, then you can modify the centerstand to work. If you don;t like it, I'm sure you could find a new home for the parts fairly easily.

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
I always suggest checking to make sure that the forks are in the stock position if you bought the bike used. It's just so common for people to raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps to lower the front since it does not cost any money and is easily reversible.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always suggest checking to make sure that the forks are in the stock position if you bought the bike used. It's just so common for people to raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps to lower the front since it does not cost any money and is easily reversible.
Bought the bike new. But lowering the front via the forks would partially lower the skid plate taking away some of my advantage by using links?

Sent you an email several days ago.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
If you are using raising links, why lower the front via the forks? Imho it's one or the other, you do not need to do both.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I lowered the front of my Wee and liked it I then lifted the rear and loved it.

It was recommended to me at the time if I was going to lift the rear I should bring the front back up but after my first test ride with the front low and the rear high I knew that was what I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts