StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out the threads but still not sure.

I wanna go up 1" in the rear. I don't have long legs but after owning a KLR I kinda got use to it and I like the stifness and extra travel. I have the top of the fork tubes all the way to the top of the triple clamp or in the highest position with the preload cranked all the way down or stiffest position. Will I be screwing the handling up or will it feel really wierd ? I don't wanna be falling into the tank.

I also want to put 1" spacers in the front forks or maybe Sonics to keep them form compressing so quickly. Is all this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
1" links

May well improve the handling. Few if any, deny the benefit of dropping the front down on the forks anywhere 10mm - 15mm. for quicker steering. Raising the rear 1" will bring similar benefits. Now having said that.... depends how you ride! If you race the bike, No! All sorts of geometry come into play mostly to do with the line between rear axle and countershaft center. For us mortals...go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Checked out the threads but still not sure.

I wanna go up 1" in the rear. I don't have long legs but after owning a KLR I kinda got use to it and I like the stifness and extra travel. I have the top of the fork tubes all the way to the top of the triple clamp or in the highest position with the preload cranked all the way down or stiffest position. Will I be screwing the handling up or will it feel really wierd ? I don't wanna be falling into the tank.

I also want to put 1" spacers in the front forks or maybe Sonics to keep them form compressing so quickly. Is all this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input!
With 1" links and better springs the handling will be fine. Most street bikes benefit from being "tipped forward" a bit. Overdoing it can be very bad, but what you're contemplating is well within the safe zone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 1 inch raising links in the rear, and also added sonic springs .85 in the front and kept the forks flush. Handling is better than stock and the raised height is welcome.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
By the way, raising the bike and increasing preload does not make the suspension stiffer nor give additional travel. It just gives more ground clearance. Higher damping rates in the fork dampers and shock make the suspension stiffer. Spring rates need to be matched to the loaded riding weight. Preload positions the rider in about the middle of the suspension travel to minimize the chance of topping out or bottoming out. Suspension part transplants lengthen travel, but I haven't heard of anyone putting in different forks or different rear suspension parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts