StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
need to find center stand that works with a lowered bike

Just ordered a set of your lowering links.. If they work as well as your Fork Brace
and mirror extenders I know I'll be Happy!
is your bike lowered and if so what center stand worked for you. All the ones I have come across say they wont work on a lowered bike. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Rick,
You might like this; I took my stock Yamaha RSTD links along with a pair of 3/4" lowering links (don't know the manufacturer) and gave them to a friend of mine where I worked and had him check the hardness on them. These are the results. The darker ones are from my RSTD.
Both are soft! but equally soft:wink2:
Does that RC stand for Rockwell C hardness?

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I wish I had you tall people's problem!! Lol.

I'm 5'8", 29" inseam, going for the 148mm, 7/8" lowering links.
Let me know if you're interested in a lowered kickstand as well.

Outbackwack

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi Rick,
Posted this on the Modification forum, then found this thread, so, re-posting for you, here.

" Hi Folks,
I recently went from a '12 650 to a '14 1000. Seems the added half inch or so in seat height and the added 40 lbs or so in weight ( + about 40 for crashbars, skid plate and Trax luggage ) has made more of a difference in my comfort level with the height than I thought. I'm a 30" inseam. I learned to live with the 35" seat height of a KLR and the 33" height of the Strom 650, but this is giving me more of a hard time. So I bought Adventure Tech 1" lowering plates and the dealer is putting those on in a few days.
My question: I assume I must lower the front end also. Is this possible? And how much should the front end be lowered if lowering the rear end 1"? As always, to my compatriots on two wheels, thank you.
Ride safe all.
gary

PS: also going to a 16T front sproket in hopes of improving very low speed maneuvering. "

Any input greatly appreciated. Had your fork brace on my '12 650 - great workmanship!
g

·
Vendor
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You can lower the front by raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps. Look a the fork tubes carefully and you will see that part of the tube has a constant diameter before it slims down a bit. Just stay int he part that has a constant diameter.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I had an 06 650 a number of years back, put 1 inch lowering links in and was almost flat footed (30" inseam). I was without my 650 for a long time (sold it), but now I have an 09 1000. I put 1' bones in and, using the same seat that I had on the 650, I am still on the balls of my feet (preload zeroed out). Is the 1000 frame taller than the 650?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
It did seemed like it's taller. A bit late to figure it out. Bought new boots with thicker soles, maybe that will help. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just ordered a set of your links, Rick (and your GPS mount as well, which I also had on an earlier Strom) for my 2017 650.
I don't have a center stand or overhead hoist, however, I used *this* method on a previous bike (Versys), and was wondering if there would be any issues you'd know about, with using it for the new V-Strom (yep, that's a car jack, and I applied just enough pressure to keep the shock up, and a bit more to get the kit on -- worked well):

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just an update for anyone considering the lift links, I love them! I raised the rear 1 1/8, and raised the front as much as safely possible, not only was the bike more comfortable, but it handled better (for me at least). The front doesn't raise nearly as much as the rear can without extending the fork tubes, which I believe (don't quote me) accounts for the slightly quicker steering that I experienced.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
There is a clearance issue on the new 1000s that limit how far you can lower them. On the older bikes it was the tire against the fender that result in a hole in the plastic lower fender section On the newer bikes it is a metal to metal limit involving the swingarm.

So the best you can do is lower both the front by sliding the fork tubes up and back with the 1" lowering plates, along with using less aggressive tire tread patters like the stock tires instead of tall knobs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Wee that I just ended up dropping today because I am short and had issues maneuvering with my feet. If I use lowering links will i have to replace the kick stand?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a 2013 Wee that I just ended up dropping today because I am short and had issues maneuvering with my feet. If I use lowering links will i have to replace the kick stand?
I had a 2013 Wee that I lowered as well. At that time, I bought a Soupy's adjustable kickstand. Worked very well for me. Without it, the bike didn't have enough lean on the OEM stand.
I now have a 2017 Wee. I've just recently lowered it 3/4" using Rick's (Adventuretech) 147mm links (also dropped the triple tree 3/4" to keep the same bike geometry, as I did on the 2013). I love the difference it makes -- better handling, easier to duck-walk it around -- everything you lower a bike for. Btw, I'm 5'9" 29-30" inseam.

Strange thing is, with the 2017, I don't seem to need the Soupy's kickstand. It still has adequate lean on the stock. And, of course, I went out and pre-bought the Soupy's kickstand in anticipation.

So, my advice is lower your 2013... Decide if you think you need to swap out kickstands. If you do, and you want a Soupy's, you can have mine for 50% off -- it's brand new, never installed it...

Let me know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on lowering links today. Thought I could get by with the stock height but found I could not get traction in sand, gravel etc. So I ordered some from Rick. As soon as they get here and installed, I get to figure out what to do with the kickstand! I sure appreciate the knowledge and insight on these boards.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts