StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2018 VStrom 1000 XA that the previous owner had lowered. Have gave me the stock links to raise it back up and I just wondered if there were any hints? I have lowered a Wee before so here is the way I think I would go about it.

-put the bike on the center stand, have a helper sit on it and loosen the triple clamps on one fork tube
-move the fork tube back down until the tube section is flush with the top of the clamp
-tighten and repeat for the other side
-place a 2x4 under the back tire for some leverage if needed
-loosen each of the 3 bolts holding on the lowering links
-remove the bolts, add in the stock links and use the board to lift up the tire to get the bolts aligned
-tighten all bolts

The question is, will there be a lot of pressure on those bolts on the back that I am not aware of?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Easier to replace the links if you remove the rear tire, then you can just one hand the swing arm to get the bolts lined up - at least it was on a Dl1000

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Side stand will also be short. That'll be a shock first time :)

You can do it without removing the wheel, I used a shovel and a chunk of 2x4 when I inspected and greased the linkage bearings but it's really awkward pushing down on the shovel handle with a knee while juggling stuff, be easy enough with help and a lot easier with the wheel out of the way.

Loosen the adjusters, push the wheel way forward, slip the chain off the sprocket then pull the axle back in is the opposite sequence but more swearing ;). And make sure the wheel spacers go back where they came from.

Also, while you are doing that, grease those bearings. It's usually a one off effort but they do seem a bit grease deficient from the factory. Be careful, uncaged roller bearings so clean the dirt off the ends, push the inner half way out, grease in that end, push it back and get the other side the same way. Any good waterproof grease is fine. There's isn't a lot of movement, just a lot of pressure and if they don't move freely the rear suspension gets very strange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts