StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all you Pacific NW, year-round, rainy or not, cold weather commuters:

What helmets are you all using? What strategies are you using to keep clear vision?

I'm asking because I've had just about enough of my current setup. I use a Nolan N102 (flip up face) helmet. I decided on this helmet because it fit well and I wear eye glasses and liked not having to take my glasses off to put the helmet on. The shield came from the factory with a Pinlock insert. When I first started riding (only two years ago) I found that my breath would fog up the shield even with the insert in place. To resolve that issue I made my one breath guard out of packaging tape since Nolan doesn't off any. Now, my glasses fog up easier. I tried the Respro Foggy mask (kind of defeats the purpose of the flip-face but I had to try something) and my helmet fits so snug that the mask formed a near perfect seal to my face and I couldn't breath.

The other problem I have with my helmet is while in a rain storm, if I come to a stop and have to open the shield, water will run down between the Pinlock insert and the shield leaving lines of water that I can't clear or blow off. I've read that the aftermarket Pinlock inserts (Shoe, HJC, Aria, etc) have a thin silicon seal around the out edge. The Nolan insert (which is specially made for Nolan only) does not have that silicon seal; it’s just a flat piece of plastic.

I'm actually quite pleased with the ability of my N102 to keep my head dry, even though it's a flip-face helmet. I leave the top vents open all the time because they seem to function better as exhaust vents then fresh air inlets. With leaving the vents open I've never really notice any water penetration or my head getting wet. When I do close the vents, my shield seems to fog up faster.

So, what are all you guy (and gals) using for helmets and shield options to stay dry and keep clear vision?

Thanks in advance,
ESM

·
Registered
482 Posts
Shoei Multitec

I've tried all the spray on / wipe on stuff to keep it from fogging up. Anti fog spray-on's, cat crap, etc.

But the only thing that really works for me when it's raining is to crack my visor to the first detent while I'm moving, and open it all the way while I'm stopped.

Wear earplugs because it's noisy.

I usually wear sunglasses - I don't in this situation. They fog up.

As long as I'm moving this works good for me. Occassionally some rain will get in, but not normally.

The helmet itself is really good. Is it better than your Nolan - I dunno..?

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
I have a Scorpion EXO-400. OEM breathguard that came with it, and a $8 aero chin guard...not really any fogging issues. I get some around the edges when it's dirty. No water intrusion when I have the shield closed. If the shield ever does begin to fog, I just crack open the shield for about 5-10 seconds...all gone.

Of course, I do ride behind a GIVI screen set on the secret 4th position. I blocks out a lot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Typically, I just ride with the shield cracked open a hair. That's only if I have something blocking the airflow around my neck. It is tricky business because airflow is needed to keep things fog-free, but when the temps dip it makes you cold. I also control my breathing some when stopped. Big breaths=fog. I'm running an HJC full-face. No special products on the shield.

As for water on the inside of the shield: that is just something that happens. Sometimes I open the shield and wipe it with my glove. That often just makes it worse.:headbang: I also have a squeegee on my thumb that helps clear the outside of the shield. Cheap product (~$10).

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I'm wearing an HJC IS Max helmet. To avoid fogging, I use FogTech from motosolutions. Works well, but it has to be applied correctly (basically, wipe it on once and don't overlap). I also use their RainCoat product for the outside of the shield. Apply both once a week. As for raindrops getting inside the shield - yep, it happens on occassion. Haven't found a good solution for that one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear a Shoei Multitech and keep it opened a notch. But I also use McNett's Op Drops which also helps keep down the fogging.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought a SevenZeroSeven (3/4) with a flip up shield only. Seems to stop the fogging problem since it's more open around the chin. Haven't been in heavy rain with it yet. Not too keen on the protection a 3/4 helmet provides but better vision is the #1 safety device, right?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Doesn't matter what you wear. You need airflow. Some helmets vent better than others, but none vent well enough to handle PNW winter weather. You have to keep the visor cracked when riding and open it at stops. Keeping the visor clean helps minimize fogging. I wash mine with the dishes about once a week (400-500 kms). I don't use any product on it.

I wear an HJC AC-12, which I quite like.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Pinlock is usually the answer. If yours was fogging I may not have been installed right. The last 2 helmets I had (exo700, bell star) major fogging issues in the rain. I added a pinlock to each and never had a problem again.

The other problem I have with my helmet is while in a rain storm, if I come to a stop and have to open the shield, water will run down between the Pinlock insert and the shield leaving lines of water that I can't clear or blow off. I've read that the aftermarket Pinlock inserts (Shoe, HJC, Aria, etc) have a thin silicon seal around the out edge. The Nolan insert (which is specially made for Nolan only) does not have that silicon seal; it’s just a flat piece of plastic.
This is the problem. I'd see if a real pinlock insert will fit

I found this

There are two sides.

The insert's not going to work if you put it on the side that's facing you. The film will fog.
here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396568

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pinlock on my Arai. Pricey shield, but it blows all the chemical treatments out of the water. I was surprised at how effective it was when I bought it, and I went in with pretty high expectations.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the Nolan N-102 as well, in fact this is my second one so I have been using them for a total of about 6 years. I selected it for the same reasons you noted, and had all the same problems. Apparently the N-102 is notorious for fogging, something I didn't learn until later. BUT, I was able to totally solve the problem by a couple of easy things:

1. I use the pinlock fog shield that came with it. In fact this year I ordered and installed a replacement from Nolan as they scratch pretty easily and the new one made a huge difference.
  2. Based on the advice of some divers here on the board, I have a small bottle of Dawn dish soap on my workbench. I spread a think coat on my glasses, let it dry for a minutes and wipe/polish it clean with a glasses cleaning cloth. It is good to go all day.

At the height of my frustration with this issue I had a "duhh" moment as I realized much of my fogging was actually on my glasses rather than the shield. When I would lower my head and look through the top of the shield it would be crystal clear. Turned out to be the lenses on the glasses the whole freakin' time. With the pinlock insert in place there is virtually no fogging on the shield, so getting the glasses squared away did the trick.

I will still get a little condensation at the very bottom of the shield, actually below the pinlock fog shield, close to where it seals to the chinbar, but it is out of my vision and easily cleared by a slight crack of the shield or more often when raining I just wipe it with my glove.

I appreciate the question as I have always really liked everything else about the N-102 but this issue nearly made me dump it the first winter I had one, but the diver's trick fully-resolved the issue for me. :hurray:

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have a HJC IS max and it leaks ALOT !!.Fogging is not to bad BUT it drips on the INSIDE of the shield and falls on my face..LAST HJC I will buy..

·
sick of being sick of it
213 Posts
I have a

Like others - crack the visor a bit while riding. All the way open at a stop. And the the duck-bill actually does help with a little tilt down.

But - here's my question...

Why are you trying so hard to stay dry? It's the Pacific Northwet! We're supposed to get a little rain on our face. Rather than seeing it as a nuisance, embrace it. Seriously, I get to work with a bit rain on the face and maybe a drop or two down the neck; makes me feel part of the environment. As with camping and hiking in this area, you can fight the elements and you'll never win. Or you can embrace the elements, and pretty soon, you don't even notice them. :mod2_yinyang:

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
I have a

Like others - crack the visor a bit while riding. All the way open at a stop. And the the duck-bill actually does help with a little tilt down.

But - here's my question...

Why are you trying so hard to stay dry? It's the Pacific Northwet! We're supposed to get a little rain on our face. Rather than seeing it as a nuisance, embrace it. Seriously, I get to work with a bit rain on the face and maybe a drop or two down the neck; makes me feel part of the environment. As with camping and hiking in this area, you can fight the elements and you'll never win. Or you can embrace the elements, and pretty soon, you don't even notice them. :mod2_yinyang:
I almost like the rainy days...people stay the hell away from me because most people think a motorcycle + rain = stupid/crazy. They don't get as close, and take a LOT more care in passing me.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Call me crazy but a big drop in a eye ( or both eyes ) at 60mph while passing a truck in the dark is NOT fun to me.I ride everyday rain,sun,snow etc and safety is my #1 concern !!!!.I don't mind getting alittle wet here and there on my body BUT I take my riding VERY seriously and not being able to see,even if for just a split second is not safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will add my experience up to now. For the past year I have ridden with a motocross style HJC with eye protection off coarse. Call me crazy but I really enjoyed the feeling of the FRFS. (freezing rainy face syndrome). I got a weird itch and sprang for the Nolan N 103 about 3 months ago. Ridden just about every day rain or shine. As long as I keep the shield at the first indent at the lights I don't have any fogging issues. I do use the factory pinlock and shield.I keep the shield clean with dawn dish soap and the water rolls off. I really only had one bad episode. It was 24 when I left my house at 6:00 am and I got some serious frost/ice between the the inner and outer shield which I cleared by stopping by a Micky D's on the way and defrosted the visor with the hand dryer in the restroom.
Speaking of the N 103. It fits great. But the wind noise is loud at high speeds. Anybody try anything to reduce the noise? I just turned up the volume on the ncom and added ear plugs for now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fog City?

I have used the Fog City Adhesive insert on my IS-16 (which is a great all around, light weight helmet that leaks just like every other helmet I have used).
The cons out weigh the pros IMHO.

Pros:
>the insert doesn't fog at all (at first).

Cons:
>The adhesive broke down in one small area which allowed vapor (breath) to get under the insert and the fog wouldn't go away.
>The glare in low light is annoying at best and possibly dangerous in the right weather/light conditions.
>It reduces the visual area of your face-shield do to the Not invisible adhesive edges that frankly make the face-shield seem dirty around the edges.
>The insert scratches easily when cleaning and lint adheres to it even with microfiber clothes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually do enjoy riding in the rain most of the time! When the speeds are less than ~45 I'll ride with the visor cracked one click and a lot of the time (with breath control) I won't even need to touch it at the lights. I think the biggest problem I have with the shield/pinlock combo is when a drop of water gets to the just the right spot, it will run down BETWEEN the Pinlock and the back of the shield. At that point, I have a lens that I can't clear away until I stop, disassemble the shield/pinlock and clean and dry it all up. I was thinking one of the pinlocks with an actual silicon seal might help prevent that.

Usually when I show up to work with a damp collar and/or damp beard I actually have a smile on my face. I feel like I've concurred something or survived something that 98% of everyone else hasn't even attempted. I've even smiled at and, almost, enjoyed getting blasted by puddles from passing cars. I figure if I'm "crazy" enough to be out there in that weather, I better man up and make it enjoyable. :)
It's just that vertical lens in front of your eye thing that gets me sometimes. If that vertical lens keeps me from seeing a small obstacle or properly determining the motion of another vehicle, it's dangerous and I want to try and fix it.

I think the feedback everyone is giving is awesome! Thank you all and lets keep it safe and enjoyable!

ESM

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm surprised no one's tried a snorkel yet ... seems like the obvious solution; keep your breath out of the helmet!

Seriously, though -- it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I really do love riding in the rain, though I'm not quite sure why. Fog is only a problem when I stop, so I just avoid doing that whenever possible. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts