StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from a short ride/fuel run right after the rain stopped the other night and pulled into the garage, where we have vinyl/rubber floor mats down to protect the floor (easier to clean too). Well, the TW front was nicely wet from road moisture/puddles and washed out on the nice clean (freshly washed down the day before) floor mat. No way to hold up my K8 Vee, as my right boot slipped on the mat also (bottom of boot was wet too).

Result was a semi-controlled lay-down on the right side of the Vee, done to avoid contact with the FZ750N or the GT235 JD garden tractor (that and completely blowing out my right knee). I can't believe I've avoided all the nastiness out on the road to fall prey to a slippery floor mat?!? Bent right mirror, bar end nicked, bar end screw bent, handle bar slightly tweaked and worst of all, rear brake lever contacted the side cover and scratched the finish off. Strange thing is though, the lever itself doesn't appear to be bent in any noticeable way.

So, if anyone out in Stromland is using those nice vinyl/rubber floor mats for their garage, beware.

·
Registered
858 Posts
sounds liek a good time to get a set of aprilla mirrors! you could probably keep the mat, but i would glue some grit to it or something..

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yup. After a fishing trip I washed the boat and backed it into the garage still wet. Hopped aboard to put things away and then climbed out. Stepped on the trailer fender and then onto the vinyl floor mat which water had seeped under from the wet boat. Like I stepped on an ice cube sittin in the middle of a hot griddle. Landed on my back and bounced my head off the floor. Vinyl mats got thrown out as soon as I could get back to my feet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yup. After a fishing trip I washed the boat and backed it into the garage still wet. Hopped aboard to put things away and then climbed out. Stepped on the trailer fender and then onto the vinyl floor mat which water had seeped under from the wet boat. Like I stepped on an ice cube sittin in the middle of a hot griddle. Landed on my back and bounced my head off the floor. Vinyl mats got thrown out as soon as I could get back to my feet.
I was just about to pull the trigger on getting some vinyl flooring for my garage... Hmmm, I think I'm gonna have to rethink this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have looked at the Aprilla's and while a nice design, I prefer to not give up any rear view realestate that the oem mirrors provide. The extensions do look like something worth getting though. Already have a Madstad mounted, which even with the factory screen, makes a significant difference in ride comfort. A centerstand and front fender extender are on the way, both to be mounted before Americade this year.

Any other Vee or Wee riders heading to Americade?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Full fuel tank + piece of cardboard on dry floor = bad juju

I think the weight of the fuel tank being full may have been a contributing factor. I experienced the same event (over to the right in my own #&*[email protected]! garage!), scraping the mirror and briefly damaging my ego. The cardboard had been there to save the floor from the occasional oil seep drip from the car (drain bolt gasket replaced on next oil change). I now sweep the floor frequently to minimize any "dry lubricant."

Many motorcycles-ago, "back in the Twentieth Century...", a wizard mechanic warned me that if it was going to get dropped, it would be at low / no speed and off to the right. I must admit he was right - but only THREE times. So far.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I was also thinking of doing somesort of floor finish in the garage. Paint would have been anoither option, but now I'm rethinking it. Maybe a nice concrete finish - no sealer :confused:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You think that's bad - some toy haulers have vinyl flooring covering the ramp and trailer floor. Try riding up the ramp and then stopping quickly on wet tires!

I've made the proper modifications to the ramp on mine, but I wonder who designs these things.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was also thinking of doing somesort of floor finish in the garage. Paint would have been anoither option, but now I'm rethinking it. Maybe a nice concrete finish - no sealer :confused:
Sprinkle some silica sand on the sealer before it dries. This gives you great traction for both feet and tires whether they are wet or dry. It's also easy to sweep and wash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts