StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had this issue with my previous bikes as well and it's been just as annoying as it is now; rain gets under the throttle tube making it progressively more "sludgier"/less smooth the more days I ride in the rain. The only solution I've found so far is to take it off and clean every couple of weeks.

Since the V-Strom is well equipped for riding in the rain (clutch and throttle cables covered by protective rubber hoses is a godsend!), I wonder has there been any ideas/solutions to this annoyance?

This is pic was taken after only a few rainy days, I could already feel the throttle being harder to twist smoothly;

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle handlebar

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,596 Posts
The issue is water and muck getting into the tube from the hand guard end. Anything to reduce or shield any gap at that end will help.
Do you still use the locating pin on the switch block, and could that be allowing a large gap between grip and hand guard?
Close or cover that gap between hand guard and throttle tube. A rubber washer, a short length of bicycle tube, or grip puppies?
Are the hand guards factory or did you fit them?

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • I use the locating pin on the switch block, afaik everything on the bike is stock (bought it used)
  • thought about some sort of a tube over the gap but worry it might interfere with operation of the throttle

I use masking tape to cover the gap when parked, but it's not a perfect solution since sometimes the rain surprises me and obviously I can't use it while riding :)
Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I have only ever had this problem after dumping my bike in the mud on the right side.

I have oxford heated grips and trimmed them long enough to go over the bar weights so that would make the issue less likely.

You could get a black cap off something like a oil bottle, drill a hole in it the same size as the bar weight, fit the cap so the threaded section covers the end of the grip and the flat top is towards the bar weight, your grip would be slightly shorter but still very useable.

Another option would be a "O" ring on the bar weight close to the throttle tube, as the water hits the O ring it will stop travelling, it will form a bigger droplet then drip off.

A cable tie could also work to initiate a drip.

I often put bat grip over my grips just to make them a little bigger, it's a rubber tube that is made to go over the handle of a cricket bat, because of the way it is it will stretch over the grip but shrink down to approximately the size of the bar weight, it's soft enough that it will not interfere with the throttles operation.

https://cricketwarehouse.com.au/collections/bat-grips/products/6gri003

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, some good suggestions there(y) - if I opt for an "addon" to the bar end/throttle grip I'll look up someone to have it machined.

Surprised I seem to be the only one annoyed by this though :D

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Water proof grease. Available at Walmart.
➕ That's probably what I'd do too, if I had this issue. I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease on lots of chassis parts, and it should only need to be a very thin coating on the bar to prevent what you have there.

I personally wouldn't be adding any rubbery parts in contact with the throttle tube that could interfere with its smooth operation.

And good on ya for riding in the rain! (y)

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I think grease will thicken up and clog up, grease does not move quickly enough.

A throttle lock interferes with the throttle tube and many are happy to use them.

It's a strange problem but I think preventing the water entering is the best way forward.

With some skill and thinking outside the box you should be able to come up with a suitable solution.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,596 Posts
In that case you do not want to use grease as it will attract and accumulate sand - or dirt. When I raced in sand dunes we would never oil our chains as the sand would turn it into a grinding paste.
That is why I only ever use a little CRC or WD40 on the throttle side handlebar. Almost dry is best.

I agree with Rolex. Find a way to reduce or stop water and muck from getting between bar and throttle tube.
A 2" length of grip puppy or similar that went over the grip but did not quite touch the hand guard.
Or do away with the hand guards and replace the throttle tube and grip.

·
Vendor
6,154 Posts
Maybe, but I don't think so. I use this grease on my mills with full flood water based coolant and more tiny little metal shavings than most people see in a lifetime.

Still, I guess the question should be why is this bike having this problem when all most all other bikes do not.

What is different about what this bike is being used for or exposed to?

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say; not much :D - I ride 365 (don't own a car) in a very moderate/warm mediterrenean climate (no snow, maybe 10 days per year with temps below freezing), the only difference it seems is that I am more sensitive (picky?) about the smoothness of throttle operation :)

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
If the problem is from when sitting, not riding, you might try a cover. I use one when ever traveling. There are waterproof ones that pack down to a small size.

·
Administrator
14,465 Posts
Maybe, but I don't think so. I use this grease on my mills with full flood water based coolant and more tiny little metal shavings than most people see in a lifetime.

Still, I guess the question should be why is this bike having this problem when all most all other bikes do not.

My question also! I have never heard of this issue in spite of riding in rain (and snow, brine and slush) with over 657,000 km / 408,000 mles of Strom riding. OP has had this issue before on other bikes.

I wonder if there is some little innocent thing being done (lubing the throttle, lubing the cable, etc?) that might cause the issue.

..Tom

·
Registered
2006 to 105,000 mi, then 2005 DL650 over 50,000 mi
641 Posts
My step brother had this issue on his 2004 DL650 sometime in 2018. He pulled it off and cleaned everything. He was so happy with the result and thought I should clean mine too. I found no need to fix a problem I didn't have. So my 2005 DL650 remains less smooth than when it was new. But it's gotten that way slowly, so I just don't perceive it.

I never did anything to my last throttle cable or throttle at 105,000miles. I did have to replace a stretched clutch cable on that 2006 DL650. The 2005 DL650 now has 55,000 and has received any cable care. It amazes me just how little Strom's demand of us. That's why I just couldn't buy something else.

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If the problem is from when sitting, not riding, you might try a cover. I use one when ever traveling. There are waterproof ones that pack down to a small size.
I use masking tape to cover the gap between the throttle tube and bar end and it works (see pic posted above), but when it is already raining and I have to go somewhere the bike gets wet and then left parked outside with a hot engine so I can't use a cover even if I had one.

I wonder if there is some little innocent thing being done (lubing the throttle, lubing the cable, etc?) that might cause the issue.

..Tom
Don't lube the throttle, never lubed the cables either 🤷‍♂️

Is the bike garaged, or left outside?
Outside, all the time

...I found no need to fix a problem I didn't have. So my 2005 DL650 remains less smooth than when it was new. But it's gotten that way slowly, so I just don't perceive it.
THIS - I have gotten so used to super smooth throttle operation that my shifting goes "off" when throttle starts to build up dirt underneath. Guess I just have to toughen up 😆

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,596 Posts
Outside, all the time
This same thing happened to your other bike as well.
Outside in the weather (rain and dust) must be the cause. Having your bike in the rain for an hour or two is one thing, but 24/7 is another.
You need to get a bike cover for use at home (and bike covers can safely be put over a hot motor - the cover does not touch the motor or exhaust.
Better still, build a small lean-to for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts