StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was caught in the rain this weekend and thought I should invest in some rain gear.

Obviously, I would like something that keeps me completely dry and comes with a really low price tag.

Any recommendations for rain gear?

·
Registered
654 Posts
http://www.froggtoggs.com/

froggtogs, close thread now :biggrinjester:

But ya light, they breath, can be gotten in hi viz yellow (mine) and releticaly cheap. Best rain gear I think I have seen so far. Everything else dose not realy breath. Most gear is pvc or siler material thats liek waring a plastic bag. this stuff muuch nicer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
+1 on the FroggToggs. I have used them, they are very light and comfortable and keep you dry. You may also want to use gloves that are waterproof, and have something to go over your boots. Lastly, you may want to have some sort of attachment on your glove to wipe the rain off the helmet shield if you have a shield.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Geez, I guess I'm the only one that has used 3 different Frogg Toggs and had a bad experience. EVERY time I have used them I have gotten soaked.

I gave up on Frog Toggs and bought a set of old school coated nylon rain gear, Fieldsheer or Neslon Riggs. Mind you this is to go over my Stich 85% of the time. Unless it is an all day rain or multi days of rain, the STich itself has been sufficient.

One of the worst days camping I've ever had was a rainy day I was in Frogg Toggs.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
I like to keep all parts of me dry. No wet and no cold means no unnecessary distractions. Consider what you'll wear beyond the jacket and pants.

gloves: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/97/688/ITEM/Olympia-4280-Gore-Tex-Over-Gloves.aspx
boot covers: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/520/ITEM/Tour-Master-Deluxe-Boot-Rain-Covers.aspx

Even though my boots are waterproof I still wear the covers if in real rain. Who wants a boot with saturated leather even if your foot is dry? Same with the gloves. I've found the finger visor wipes on gloves to be a novelty at best. If you're moving the windstream pretty much takes care of any water there.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've often wondered why offshore fishermen don't wear frogg toggs, since they're so great.

um frogtoggs will not hold up to that kind of work lol. Thye got some thick stuff lol. I am from newfoundland myself and had friends who went out and trust me there gear is a bit beafer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I bought an Eddie Bauer two piece rain suit at Target for about $30. It even has high-vis sections on it!

It does not breathe very well though. But it keeps you reasonably dry. After few hours, some moisture comes in at the front jacket zipper. But you know - I can live with that...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have to agree with the Frogg Toggs. I have been in some serious downpours and they performed great. I also use Aerostich Three-digit glove covers and once you get used to putting them on (they are kind of slippery on each other) they work great too.

I am going to get some of the Tour Master boot covers soon as well. My feet are the only part of me that get wet in the rain :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
um frogtoggs will not hold up to that kind of work lol. Thye got some thick stuff lol. I am from newfoundland myself and had friends who went out and trust me there gear is a bit beafer.
Sorry about my first reply, I couldn't find a sarcasm thingy. There's 2 things you won't see when searching commercial fishing rainwear ... goretex and frogg toggs.

Geez, I guess I'm the only one that has used 3 different Frogg Toggs and had a bad experience. EVERY time I have used them I have gotten soaked.
I don't feel so bad now, it only took me 2 pair to learn.

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE]

Sorry you had bad experiences with them. The only problem I ever had with mine were was the seat on my old Intruder, there was a pretty big rise from the driver seat to passenger, and if I wasn't careful, the jacket would get caught on this, and I would end up with water going down the back of my pants.

On cruisers you do have to be careful of the pants hitting the pipes.

I actually went down on my Intruder in some rain coming to a stop light, locked up the rear tire. I expected my toggs to be shredded as I probably slid about 30 feet. There was only one small hole in the pants. However I attribute that to just how slick the new asphalt was, not the toughness of the material.

I'm a rather large person,and I've had issues getting the more standardard motorcycle rain gear to fit right. The vinyl stuff likes to rip in the seams trying to fit them around my thighs, and is a pita to put on.

I'm using the cheapest frogg togg stuff, I'm not sure if they had their other flavors when I got mine. I did notice they have some stuff that is specifically targeted toward motorcycling now, no idea what it is like.

I mainly commute, and I avoid rain pretty good. I used to only care if it was rainingin the morning when I left for work. I guess I'm still a little gun shy about the rain.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
FireDog45 said ...
I've been through Iron Pony & New Enough and I still can't find where they recommend rain gear based on your motorcycle...

I'd tell you what brand my one piece suit is but since I ride a Vee it probably won't work on a Wee.
No doubt. That's probably why the frogg toggs didn't work for me, I didn't have the ones intended for the wee. Good catch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Frog Togg jacket works well for me, but the pants leak in the crotch area. I haven't found a pant yet that will keep me dry in a downpour. In light rain they are fine. I guess I'm going to have to spend some cash and get something with gore-tex.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've been through some heavy downpours and my Frogg Toggs worked great, no soak-through at all.

Guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Frog Togg jacket works well for me, but the pants leak in the crotch area. I haven't found a pant yet that will keep me dry in a downpour. In light rain they are fine. I guess I'm going to have to spend some cash and get something with gore-tex.
I've had a couple of different rainsuits - Fieldsheer, Teknic. The latter has developed a leak in the seat area, in the seam down the middle I'd guess. I'll seal it. Other than that, all my bike-specific, vinyl-coated nylon rainsuits have kept me basically completely dry while riding in hard rain all day long. Some water inevitably finally wicks in around your neck, but other than that, dry. Gotta put the rainsuit sleeves over the gloves/glove covers if you want your hands to stay dry.

They're a pain in the ass to put on and a pain to get around to get at anything when you stop, but a good motorcycle rainsuit, combined with appropriate foot and hand coverings, will keep you dry while riding all day in the rain. Not something I particularly enjoy doing, mind you, but sometimes needs must.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Fieldsheer

I've got a Fieldsheer two piece rain suit that I picked up on sale ($30!!!) from BikeBandit last fall. I've only used it in a light rain so far, but was pretty happy with it. It's day-glo orange with lots of reflective piping, so I should be visible to anyone who can fake their way through the DMV vision test, even in a downpour :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts