StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have to get a rain gear and I am still hesitant. Should I get a 1-piece gear and that way the rain won't get into my pants or should I get a 2-piece gear because it is way easier to put it on?

What is your advise?
Do you recommend any particular brand?

Thanks!

Attila

·
I rock at logic
370 Posts
I've used the Tourmaster Elite two piece for three years now, and I've never had any rain in my pants. One plus side of the two piece for me was that the pants are a bit too short, but I can let them ride a bit lower on my waist to compensate for that. With a one piece you're SOL unless you find the exact inseam you need.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Personally I like a 2 piece. Lends itself useful if you want to keep the pants on, but stow the jacket, in weather that looks like it might rain, but is not raining yet. Also the rear section near the small of your back / rump isn't as baggy as a 2 piece suit would be.

·
Administrator
13,946 Posts
Hi All,

I have to get a rain gear and I am still hesitant. Should I get a 1-piece gear and that way the rain won't get into my pants or should I get a 2-piece gear because it is way easier to put it on?
I use Frogg Toggs Road Toads. They are cheap, pack well (always in my topcase), and breath. And they work!

They are two piece but as long as I remember to pull the bottom up high I never get a wet crotch (or wet anything else.)

..Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
Been using a bright orange, two piece suit by Peter Storm for about a dozen years and have never been wet regardless of how long I ride in the rain or how hard it rains. Also very breathable. Rode thru heavy rains in Northern Ont. (Wawa, Chapleau etc.) last week for about 6-7 hours and I was the only one of 6 riders to remain completely dry. Two piece is much more practical.

Hank

·
Registered
38 Posts
2 piece

While looking for a rainsuit, i could never find one that fit right. So i eventually bought a 2 piece ..... jacket is a size xxl that fits over my riding jacket and bottoms in a large to fit over my jeans. In the last 5 years i have never gotten wet while riding in a rainstorm.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2-piece seems to be the winner so far. I have checked the Frogg Toggs today. (I am not sure if it was the Road Toad.) Now the trick is to figure out how to fit the 3XL top over my 4XL jacket. Pants are no problem, they are huge. Even for me! :) And they are long too. Waaaay too long. :-(

Attila

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've got a two piece, Redhead (Bass Pro) brand, you can spend more, why, I don't know, it works well, keeps me dry, and like all the other cheap suits (Frogg Toggs, ect) is made in China. As stated above, a 2 piece suit will let you mix the sizes a little to get something that will fit you better, you buy most of two piece suits seperately. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Two piece for sure. For short trips, Frogg Toggs are small, light and convenient. For touring, get a waterproof jacket and riding pants. whitehorsepress.com has some excellent options.

·
Registered
603 Posts
+1 on the Frogg Toggs with one change. I prefer the bibs to the pants. They maybe slightly harder to put on, but you'll never have any water seeping in.

·
Administrator
13,946 Posts
I've got a two piece, Redhead (Bass Pro) brand, you can spend more, why, I don't know, it works well, keeps me dry, and like all the other cheap suits (Frogg Toggs, ect) is made in China. ...
I don't know if this is true for the Red Heads but the Frogg Toggs breathe and the Road Toads have reflective striping on them.

If you spend a day in the rain you will appreciate the breathing ability. One day I got caught in a sudden downpour and it was a few minutes before I could get the Frogg Toggs over my riding clothes. I then rode for a few hours with the Frogg Toggs and took off the Toggs.. my jacket underneath had dried out in the meanwhile.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Two Piece

I like the fact that I can do what others stated, ride with tops and bottoms or wear what suits (no pun intended) the mood or weather. Last Sunday did 3 hours in the soup with just the tops on, my riding gear is waterproof, but I only "tested" the pants in the rain. The top is BRIGHT yellow about 1/2 chest high to the shoulders. It worked well. MAde by Himalata Motorcycle Wear. They don't breath too well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the valuable inputs!

Today I went to Bass Pro and got a Frogg Togg for $34.94 +tax Canadian. Very hard to beat that. Unfortunately it is not the Road Toad (they did not have it in my size), but for less than $40.00 with tax it is a real bargain.

Attila

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
They are, LOL , the water was gushing in from the top! I rode home from work in a 3" in a half hour, downpoor! The water along the road was deep- very deep! Actually it was kinda fun!!! Nice and cool outside for a change, and the look on the Goldwingers under the overpass as I rode by---priceless!! And no, I didn't even try to go the speed limit (70 mph) but we hit 50-60 with no problem, and she handled it great! That day I needed a wetsuit! Cheers-BB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since this goes along w/ the rain suit part of the thread...

I haven't ridden w/ them in the rain yet, but I picked up a pair of these boot covers.
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/prod...rubber sole. They fold up to about 4x12x1in.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Bought the Tourmaster Defender 2 pc suit as it's widely available at bike shops and well designed. I like the 2 piece as you can put on the pants and leave the jacket off if rain is threatening, although I used to tie off my one piece suit just the same.

About $65. Has some nice motorcycle-specific features like the stirrups to go under your boots.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Noob question on this rain gear stuff

I have supposedly waterproof jacket and pants by First Gear (brand is not that important for this question). If the pants (HT 2.0) and the jacket (Kilamanjaro) is waterproof, would I need rain gear? Or is this thread for folks not wearing waterproof jackets and pants? Or am I hearing the voice of experience among riders that there is no such thing as water proof jackets and pants. I have not ridden in rain yet but am trying to prepare for year round riding in the Pacific Northwest.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts