Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up two hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. Working OK. (Two drives mirroring so the data is on both in case one fails.). WIN7, older Biostar MB, everything is working well...except what I don't know how to set up.

Can anyone tell me how to set up an old drive so I have RAID 1 as C: boot drive and the other drive with old data as D:? It seems that the RAID controller is getting in the way of the BIOS recognizing the old drive. I want to be careful that I don't damage the data on the old drive.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I just set up two hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. Working OK. (Two drives mirroring so the data is on both in case one fails.). WIN7, older Biostar MB, everything is working well...except what I don't know how to set up.

Can anyone tell me how to set up an old drive so I have RAID 1 as C: boot drive and the other drive with old data as D:? It seems that the RAID controller is getting in the way of the BIOS recognizing the old drive. I want to be careful that I don't damage the data on the old drive.
I use to use a SCSI Raid for all of my video stuff. Worked like a charm! $1,500 bought me a 120GB Raid drive......... Then, computers got faster and hard drives got larger and dirt cheap.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this. Maybe it will help you out.

RAID 1 Mirroring with Windows 7 « Buildegg Articles

B.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You can't turn an old drive into one of two RAID drives without reformatting.

You would also have to make changes to the partition setups so the OS recognizes the raid as the boot drive.

Some advanced raid controllers have ways to manipulate and keep data when making certain configuration changes.

You could use a good sync program to sync your files to a backup drive.

Good Sync isa nice simple program that can be setup to automatically back up your files to another drive.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
It's going to depend on the RAID controller. I have the Intel Matrix storage console 8.9 running on a Dell Dimension E520. I was able to create a Serial ATA RAID mirrored array from a single drive by adding another similar but not identical drive. The created array is the size of the smaller drive. Whenever I've had a power outage, the array had to rebuild as the data no longer 100% matches. It did it automatically.

My previous computer required matched hard drives and they had to be created as a RAID array. A problem with one drive was a major event by comparison.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I believe that he is using 2 new drives as Raid and wants to use the old (3rd) -drive as a data disk, but it is not recognizing the drive. The suspicion being that the new RAID configuration is not allowing the BIOS to recognize the old drive. I could be wrong in this, and would ask for the OP to give a little more detail.

It could be that if you go to disk manager, in Windows, you will see the old drive and need to give it a new drive letter for it to be recognized. -Do not reformat it or do anything like that or you will lose all your data. I am assuming you have loaded the operating system on the new Raid, and that it will boot.

If the BIOS is old enough, research and see if you need a newer version to make it work.

If all else fails, buy an enclosure and use the old drive as an external drive.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Yes, 2 new drives for the RAID array and the old drive with the old data. The machine boots and runs fine with the RAID array as C:. I have an external HDD docking station, and that may be my best chance for using the old drive without screwing it up.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Thanks all. Yes, 2 new drives for the RAID array and the old drive with the old data. The machine boots and runs fine with the RAID array as C:. I have an external HDD docking station, and that may be my best chance for using the old drive without screwing it up.
I have 4 of these. My OS (WIN XP PRO) and applications reside on one drive, everything else, (Mostly photos and video), are on external hard drives. When I am not using them, I keep them unplugged from their power source and from my "host" computer.

B.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,114 Posts
What they all said! It is amazing how much good (and of course occasionally some bad) information gets shared on this site so fast. In this case, what I saw was all good information. For a reliable and long-term system, I'd go with new SSD storage if at all possible. It's almost too inexpensive these days not to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts