StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a radio/stereo in their V-Strom? I understand the small portables don't have enough power to use with helmet speakers. How about a car unit in a tank bag? Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New to this group but have to ask, why would you want to?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm planning on putting an intercom in the bike. Something like the easi-rider configuration you find on http://www.autocom.co.uk .

It must be possible to install this under the saddle.
On long trips I would connect a radio or mp3-player.

I also informed about an bluetooth connector, so I can use the GSM on the bike without having to de/connect it. Should be available in 2004.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ghustonus said:
New to this group but have to ask, why would you want to?
Actually, I would prefer to listen to the engine. Our previous bike was a Goldwing and my wife enjoyed the music on long rides. I'm not thinking about a permanent mount with speakers on the handlebars but maybe one that I could hide in a tankbag for when she joins me and plug into helmet speakers.
By the way, she says the V-Strom is plenty comfy - even after riding on the back of the Wing for 4 years. Cool, eh?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too like to listen to the engine sounds, but occasionally I like to listen to music as I'm crusing a boring stretch of highway. I mounted a small Sony Walkman (the one with the armband) around the clutch cylinder and connect it to my Chatterbox. The big buttons allow me to easily change stations with gloves on. It looks good because its small and aerodynamic. Also it's removable when you park it in an unsavory area. I'll post a picture if anybody want's to see it (and I can figure out how to do it).

Steve
'03 0955

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using an MP3 player (Archos Jukebox), but am in the process of setting up XM satellite radio.

I don't bother with music much on shorter trips, but it's nice to have out on the road.

I'll post a report on the XM when I get it all rigged up.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, the XM is up and running! :D

I used a RAM mount from CycleGadgets (was originally using it for the GPS, but am switching to Touratech for that). I attached the antenna to a bent piece of aluminum sheet attached to the mount so the whole thing is self contained, unplug two wires and it can all come off the bike in around 10 seconds. The receiver itself can also be switched to another "docking station" at home or in another vehicle. Reception and sound quality is great.

Here's some pics:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
radio

What do you use for sound? Earphones or helmet speakers?
Installation looks good. I also notice driving lights. Does the V-Strom alternator have enough output to run all your accessories at the same time?
thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm using custom molded earplugs with speakers built in. They're the only thing I've found that gives good protection from wind noise and good sound at the same time.

As for the electrical system, the radio pulls very little power. The lights are Hella 500 driving lights with 35w PIAA bulbs replacing the stock 55w bulbs. I figure the charging system can handle the lights, radio, and my electric vest and grips without discharging.

Here's a thread on the Hella install:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has the new J&M handlebar mounted
cb?
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24
I'm looking for cb, and audio imput, maybe intercom. This looks like
a decent unit but I'd like an opinion from someone who has one.
I'm also open to alternative suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Vince

1 - 10 of 10 Posts