StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
I'm real close to conviction here that the whole front 'fairing' of the V-strom is one big design goof. Why does the thing have to poke out four inches from the forks? What benefit does that bring? Since there is virtually no wind protection with any shield, and no rain etc, what is the front piece for? its so designed as to defeat any effort to achieve a smooth airflow. ! ? ! ? so why bother? it adds no ergonomic benefit, no handling benefit, no performance benefit, and no cosmetic charm.

So I'm thinking of ditching the whole thing all the way back to the tank. Then get any one of a zillion aftermarket headlights, light/signal bar, and a good touring windshield fork-mounted like national or memphis or any of several. The hard part will the the instrument cluster. dunno how to mount that, which may have been the ONLY purpose served by that goofy front end

Zapp

J

·
0 Posts
It's prolly mostly for aesthetic appeal...I'm not sure they succeeded in most people's eyes. :roll:

T

·
0 Posts
If you do that, why not just get a wrecked SVS front end and slap that on somehow. At least you would still have good headlights and some wind protection. COME ON, TRY IT. I DARE YA!!! :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want to do anything to my Strom that made it look more like a generic motorcycle, and less like a mutant preying mantis. I'm told the guy who styled the fairing is the same one who came up with the monsters in the "Aliens" movies. I love the look, and it makes dogs run away instead of chasing you.

Also, the way the fairing smooths into the actual gas tank makes it appear that the bike will hold about 30 gallons of unleaded regular. On group rides in the Dallas area, someone usually asks me how far the Strom will go between gas stops, and I always say "Chicago." There's usually a cruiser or two in the group, so my fib hasn't been caught yet because those guys have to gas every 100 miles or so . . . I just pretend I was "on reserve" when we started . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
fairing

I have had national cycle plexi-screens on bike before, and never was happy. I think its best to sell, and get something that makes ya happier.

"I always say "Chicago." Your cracking me up. Yep, it kind a looks like the KTM adventure dual-tank. Doug.

D

·
0 Posts
I noticed something unusual when riding my DL650
yesterday. Try it.

At 60+ mph place your left hand on the
gas cap. Then slowly move your hand
towards your stomach. What's that
turbulence about six inches from your
stomach ??

J

·
0 Posts
doctorxring said:
yesterday. Try it.

towards your stomach.
I sooo thought you were going somewhere else with this :twisted: :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Dang Zapp, and people say I'm bad when it comes to tearing into a new bike.
Seems to me like I saw one where the guy had removed the side cowlings and it left some sort of ugly brackets on the tank. I think it depends on the aesthetics you're after but if you think the thing is unattractive with the fairing piece on I have a feeling its really so with it removed.
As far as the instruments go, the hell with them. Replace the speedo with some kind of fancy bike computer or just use a GPS. The tach can probably be sourced on the aftermarket and push comes to shove I don't know that you need a fuel gauge if you have a trip meter. If you want all the lights and gauges it will require some ingenuity.
One thing to keep in mind though when doing some bike modificaton/butchering is that if you can't put it back to stock you may creating something nobody will buy as a used bike so you better like it.
What would be interesting about your idea though is to take it several steps futher and see how much useless stuff you could strip off it, I suspect you might end up with a 370 pound Strom or thereabouts depending how far you and your wallet are willing to go.

L

·
0 Posts
That turbulent sensation just aft of the gas cap at speed is the effect of Suzuki's patented "SCVS," or "Suzuki Crotch Ventilation System." It was originated on the original Hans Muth-designed Katana of the early 80's, that had the same sort of down-pointing snout seen on the V-Strom. To really feel the full effect of this, you need to be traveling in excess of 60 mph, on a warm day, in a straight line, and buck naked.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:twisted: ha, this is turning into one of those wackythreads ! I love it.

Some great suggestions here:
- I wouldn't want to screw up the CVS.... hadn't thought of that
- If it overheats I would blame suzuki and do a warranty call
- Doggone, it DOES look a bit like a praying mantis, doesn't it? Had not noticed that profile carefully
- I'm with Joe... why not tear it up some. I'll never know if I just leave it as is, will I ?
- I mentioned the National because I have had the n2210 on two other bikes and it worked like a charm. very stable, high quality, and did the job. sort of what you expect from a "windscreen"... someone should mention that to suzuki
- if it was just flyscreen I wanted, not problemo, except that I still think that ugly front is way overkill just to provide a mounting point for a chinbrake ... especially given its distance from the driver. my sleeve length is 35" but I sure can't reach that blasted windshield.... like a quarter mile away

Anyone seen a picture of the DL650 stripped for flattrack racing? there is one or two somewhere in the world. I remember reading of the effort on some forum or another

off to the shop today. The Service Manager says he is concerned not so much about the many false neutrals as about the fact that it won't go into gear while at speed immediately AFTER a false neutral. Says it shouldn't be so difficult. I can assure him that he will only need to try it once to get the point : "do not stick hand into the fan while it is running"

Zapp

·
Registered
321 Posts
doctorxring said:
yesterday. Try it.

towards your stomach. What's that
turbulence about six inches from your
stomach ??
I had a chance to play around with this yesterday. I hadn't noticed it before but wondered why my FG HT overpants leaked like the proverbial sieve in the crotch area during heavy rain. They didn't even get water on the surface while riding my Concours unless I was stuck at slow or no speed for long periods. Anyway, I cupped my hand around the "detail line" in the left, forward tank/side cover, (you know, the line that mirrors the curve of your knee but a few inches forward), and that all but completely diverted the SCVS effect, (thanks Lmundy :) ). I believe that some enterprising fabricator on this list could come up with an extension, of sorts, that could be simply bolted/screwed on, using existing tupperware mounting screws, that would redirect the air/rain out and around the rider. If molded from plastic, (I'm thinking something similar to the little air scoops at the lower, trailing edge of the Concours fairing - only in reverse), it wouldn't necessarily have to muck up the looks much and would be easy to remove when desired. How 'bout it? Anyone?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The DL has lots of features that my ZR7S didn't have. Unfortunately, the ZR was also equipped with Kawasaki's CVS. The first time I rode it in the rain, it was like someone stuck a garden hose down my riding pants. :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts