Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had the unfortunate occurence of a stone puncturing my radiator on the highway recently. I think that it would be good PR/ Common sense for the bike to come with a guard for the radiator as a std item as the oil coller does. For those of you who arent aware the radiator is a very expensive item
($800US approx) to replace as well as the problem of cooking the engine if you dont notice the leak.

regards camo

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. On my way home from the dealer after buying my brand new DL650, something hit my radiator and ripped the fins up really well. I though it put a hole in the radiator, but it doesn't appear to be leaking.

My Kawasaki Z1000 even came with a screen over the radiator, and its not even an "On Road/Off Road" bike.

Suzuki went the extra mile putting a magnetic oil drain plug in, but they cheaped out on a radiator screen. :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
I've seen some nice home made gaurds on the KLR forums. Maybe worth a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
radiator grill

I posted this one on the "other" vstrom site too. Go to Staples and for $24 you can buy a 3 tier table top file thing made of screen material. The screen frame is the exact dimension of the radiator. Cut each frame out with a dremel and repaint it. Just run a black wire tie and black plastic washer throught the fins and another plastic washer and the head of another wire tie throught all 4 corners (the hard one is the fan shroud) and you're done, with 2 left over and extra screen to wrap around the oil cooler screen too. I'm a genius!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Go to Staples and get the single level paper tray. Two side pieces and one bottom piece that is bent up at the back to make the rear piece. Spot welded where it counts. About half the price and you will have enough left over to make an oil cooler protector too. No pics so I can't do more than say search here in the forum, I wrote it up a while back. Farkle On.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
THANK YOU FOR MY NEXT PROJECT! 8)

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're welcome. When I get time I plan to make another screen with corners that match the radiator, too busy riding now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts