StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying & installing a radiator guard (more specifically the EG plate), but am a little concerned about blocking a good portion of the available area and creating a temp / heat issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other radiator guards and has anyone experienced any overheat issues after installing?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not trolling, just genuinely curious. What are you worried about hitting it? The bottom of it is almost 2 feet off the ground.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm looking into buying & installing a radiator guard (more specifically the EG plate), but am a little concerned about blocking a good portion of the available area and creating a temp / heat issue.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other radiator guards and has anyone experienced any overheat issues after installing?
No Clue, rode recently on a cool day and the fan was running at a red light. Not sure why. I also had it in the woods where it was hot, fan was on, it was fine. I also don't believe the thermostat gauge is accurate.

·
Registered
525 Posts
have a r&g radiator guard road in 90+ degrees and never went above 3 lines fan was working

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had bad experience once with a rock hitting and damaging my radiator (on another bike) - so ever since I've installed a radiator guard (cheap insurance)
I also had a bike where the guard reduced the amount of air flow enough so the fan was constantly on and the bike seem to be overheating - when it shouldn't have.

The EG guard that I am looking at - seems to be a little more air restrictive than some of the other ones - but also seems to be a little more "solid" than most.

Hence the dilemma.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had the Enduro Guardian version on for about a year with no apparent over heating. The guage only shows 3 bars max.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Screening.......

You might be surprised at how much air flow screening "can block". Look in McMaster-Carr at "Steel Wire Cloth". For example, a 3 x 3 mesh means 3 square openings "up" per inch and 3 square openings "across" per inch. Using a .120" wire diameter, gives you nearly 60% blockage of air flow....!!! The wire diameter greatly effects air blockage. Smaller diameter wire = less blockage, of course.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-mesh-filters/=17dx90v

I would tend to believe the Rad Guards made from sheet aluminum with air slots (or holes), is blocking a good (bad??) amount of air flow.
I have guards on both my vstrom and CB500X........the X's guard is made by R&G Racing, don't remember who makes the one on the Wee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts