StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a radiator guard / shield thread. I am thinking of getting one, and thought maybe it would be a good idea to get some info on them, all in one thread.

I'm leaning towards the Touratech guard, just because I have a weakness for nicely fabricated aluminum goodies, and theirs looks really nice.

So maybe you guys can post a photo of what you have, where it came from, the price, and any comments - good, bad, or otherwise. Post away!!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I have the SW Motech Guard which I bought from Twisted Throttle for around $100. It was real simple to install and looks nice on the bike. Not certain there is any significant difference between the other versions that are available.

I will see if I have a picture of the guard on my bike but twisted throttle has a picture

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2117/203/

Just looked at the price of the touratech one and that is going for almost $160. Their stuff is nice but that is a big difference

This is the best picture I could find

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have Dan Vesel's radiator guard... looks absolutely sano and seems sturdy. Good price. What's not to like??
Muttley

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I find that every guard from vendors has the same flaw, they let small stuff through. I don't care whether it is a bug plague, (June bugs, locusts, may flies, fish flies) a blast of clay, plant fluff from cotton wood or any of 100 other sources, it still plugs your rad and makes you get off to clean it. To be effective the guard must have some form of very fine screen like Hardware Cloth. The guard has to be located about an inch from the rad face or it will plug and cut off air to the rad. I also feel that most of them allow large enough particles through that can damage the cooling fins and render them useless. (dragonflies, bits of gravel, nails:yikes:) So I did it my way again. The frame is 1/2" x 3/8" U channel aluminum. It simply contains a piece of 1/2' Expanded metal (to stop the biggins), and a piece of Hardware cloth, (not screen window cloth) to stop the shrapnel. The cloth is supported by the expanded metal, and the whole thing is held in place with two small brackets that just slip in behind the two bolts holding the fairing to the rad. The brackets have a slot cut in them instead of a single hole, to allow the guard to slip off for cleaning. :thumbup:

Why it's almost bullet proof:jawdrop:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just installed a radiator guard from romatech.

Very easy to install, and cheap.
49 euros. :)
I like the fact that this one has the side mounts, *and* the lower mount. That looks nice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like Dan Vessels rad guard. At the time I bought he was throwing in the oil cooler guard at the same time.

I like the Ventura Headlight Guards. I've used them on my ST1100's and like the way they protect the headlight and come off pretty easy for cleaning.

You can see both here:

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Checking back in to report on the Dan Vesel radiator guard for the DL1000 (post #5). Nice piece of work. Fit fine and went on pretty easy, uses the two fasteners on the sides of the rad that go through the tupperware. Rode 350 miles this weekend with no rattles or other noises caused by the guard. I may put in a finer mesh at some point.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The only one I've seen so far to use (3) mounting points is the RomaTech guard above (post #4) unless I missed something. Anyone else have a (3) fastener design?

Edit: I see that the SW Motech has the same (3) point mounting strategy....but dammit I hate the rivets on the SW guard.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TouraTech Guard

Well....the writing was on the wall. I ended up with the TouraTech guard for my DL650:

I can't believe how clean the fit is. It kinda "snapped" into place, and I ran the screws down easily, with some blue loctite on each one. This uses the two side screws, and nothing else, but there are fitment tabs / locators around the perimeter, so it is a very snug fit.

I cleaned the radiator (lotsa bugs!!) and straightened all the bent fins with a pic beforehand, which came out really well. The radiator looked decent, but I wish I would've installed a guard when the bike was new. It sure takes a beating where it is located.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But honest bob! Yours DIDN'T cost $100...

$100 for a radiator guard? Seriously people?!

I'm with bob. These aftermarket guards ARE flawed. Both in cost & design.

Thanks bob for saving me a hundy, I'll be making my own(bob type)...

BTW bob, they still brew "Old V" up there still? Had some several years ago on a trip to Niagra Falls(Canadian). Good stuff!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with your thinking. The gaurd is there for a reason. Touratech gaurd is to holey and needs a cover to keep out grass seeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find that every guard from vendors has the same flaw, they let small stuff through. I don't care whether it is a bug plague, (June bugs, locusts, may flies, fish flies) a blast of clay, plant fluff from cotton wood or any of 100 other sources, it still plugs your rad and makes you get off to clean it. To be effective the guard must have some form of very fine screen like Hardware Cloth. The guard has to be located about an inch from the rad face or it will plug and cut off air to the rad. I also feel that most of them allow large enough particles through that can damage the cooling fins and render them useless. (dragonflies, bits of gravel, nails:yikes:) So I did it my way again. The frame is 1/2" x 3/8" U channel aluminum. It simply contains a piece of 1/2' Expanded metal (to stop the biggins), and a piece of Hardware cloth, (not screen window cloth) to stop the shrapnel. The cloth is supported by the expanded metal, and the whole thing is held in place with two small brackets that just slip in behind the two bolts holding the fairing to the rad. The brackets have a slot cut in them instead of a single hole, to allow the guard to slip off for cleaning. :thumbup:

Why it's almost bullet proof:jawdrop:
can you please host your pics on another site as they are dead/invisible

·
Administrator
17,024 Posts
Enduroguard.com, $95. As good as it gets.
Best guard on the market bar none, and does not or will not let smaller stuff through like other guards. Fit and finish is impeccable, you would swear it is a factory part since it mounts so easily and secure.

Weird.....I no longer see the guards for the 2012 and up 650's......what the hell? :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts