StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Radiator guards- Not Much To Choose From

I searched the net and could only find one company making one for the DL650. It would have to be ordered from Australia, was bright stainless steel (a little too "showy" for me), and expensive-about $175. I decided to make my own. I used 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/8 steel angle to build a frame and used flattened expanded metal as a grill. Painted it matt black and am very happy with the results. It is heavy duty and will prevent stone damage. The DL650 is the 1st motorcycle I have owned that did not have a radiator guard from the factory. Looking at other Suzuki motorcycles, I noticed that their sportbikes do not have guards, but their cruisers do as well as the DRs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently purchased the SW-Motech radiator protector from twistedthrottle.com about a week and a half ago. A few days later I was sent an email telling me it was on backorder for 1-2 weeks. So, I'm patiently waiting to come in.

It was around $106 shipped.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bad news.. I was just informed by twistedthrottle.com that the guard is now on backorder until October.

I guess I'm going to start looking for alternative or homemade methods afterall.

B

·
0 Posts
OK, get over to Wally world. Find the rubbermaid (I think) office accessories and look for the folding in-basket. It comes folded flat. It is made of metal mesh with nice meatl edges. Take it home, pull out the pins that hold the sides and bottom together and get four zip ties. At least two of the sides are aperfect fit for the radiator. They extend down below the rad about an inch or so as well.

Cost: $9.00 plus four zip ties.

Result: I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and there were a couple dings in the guard but no damage to the rad.

Ah...frugal perfection! :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Beav said:
OK, get over to Wally world. Find the rubbermaid (I think) office accessories and look for the folding in-basket. It comes folded flat. It is made of metal mesh with nice meatl edges. Take it home, pull out the pins that hold the sides and bottom together and get four zip ties. At least two of the sides are aperfect fit for the radiator. They extend down below the rad about an inch or so as well.

Cost: $9.00 plus four zip ties.

Result: I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and there were a couple dings in the guard but no damage to the rad.

Ah...frugal perfection! :D
and where are the pictures? :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts