StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike came pretty equipped so as much as I love to accessorize ... Suzuki didnt leave me much to mess with.

I do have a question .. that exposed radiator makes me nervous. Should it?
I live in the land of HEAT, grit and gravel .. we replace the windshield on my car about twice a year. Should I worry that something will damage the radiator?

There seems to be several covers available but I would hate to block air flow. Its been 112 and better all week. I dont care much what it looks like since it sits way up under the bike so can I just shop price or is one cover functionally better than another?

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
There have been several thread about radiator guards. One was from an office "IN" box from Target.
Google radiator guard in the little box at the top of the page. You can pay the biggie bucks or DIY on the cheap.

·
Registered
924 Posts
A homemade grill is cheap and effective. A steel mesh from a welding supply shop, (or Home Depot, etc.), some double sided tape, a couple zip ties for good measure.

In case you doubt the double sided tape, I used it on my last bike, SV, and after a couple yrs decided to pull the grill off to give the radiator a good cleaning. Had to pry it off the tape with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
924 Posts
$2 from a local welding supply store, and $3 to have them cut it to size on their machine. (Would have been a tedious job with a hacksaw.) A couple bucks for tape, always have a couple zip ties hanging around. Been on there since August 2017, hasn't moved a hair.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am on the west side of PHX and I ran across a deal on a used radiator guard that I couldn't pass up. sometimes that is a good way to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think I am going to pass on home made but .. I have a question

So .. the ready made ones look like they have two hooks that go over the top and a hole to bolt through the existing brakeline mount .... Dont they rattle like hell??

I am looking for mesh since I think they will allow more air than the perf models

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a 20$ one off eBay, you get what you pay for...it did have the top hooks instead of bolts but I modified it to not rattle. Seems to do the job great, plenty of air flow through the holes not mesh or oval. I love buying stuff for the bike but the really good ones seemed to way too much than what I wanted to spend (2014 V1000 ABS ADV)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I made my own years ago. Mine was a purchase from Walmart, a paper holder which was metal. It's on here somewhere, heck I can't even remember the year I did it. I remember why, however. The wife and I were on a small ride and it started to hail. Not big chunks but smaller ones which didn't effect us since we had our riding gear on. Those small little suckers bounced off the front fender and put a few dents in the radiator fins. That was enough to convince me for some type of guard...:var_39:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked up Radiator guard in the Google search bar on this forum and found a few good homemade instructions but I decided to try one of the Chinese ebay guards and do any modifying I need to to make it work

Wont get here for 3 weeks or so and I will give my thought then. The ones with Perf were under $20 but looked like they would block to much air so I went with mesh. I am a fabricator of things as a rule but .. for $33 bucks I would rather spend my time doing something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts