StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I got stuck in stop and start traffic getting into Guerneville Ca. for about 45 min . The air temps were in the 90's. During that entire time the coolant temp guage never went above 3 bars and I never heard, felt or could see the fan cycle on.
Have others experienced this as well?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can't really hear or feel the fan while on the bike and you certainly can't see it. It's behind the radiator. 3 bars are the norm for a properly working bike no matter how hot it gets outside. The cooling system can handle it unless something is wrong with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The only time I have heard my fan come on while riding is when it was stop and go traffic at temps over 110 F. Blew for less thn 30 seconds and then stopped. I can hear it with my visor open while idling, but not while the bike is moving.

Temp bars never moved even with the fan on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've noticed the fan running lately while stopped in traffic. The temps have consistantly been in the 90's. The first time I heard it I was a little surprised but the temperature guage has never gone above mid range so it's working.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've now done have some city riding in the upper 90's and have only heard the fan come on once. Never more than three bars on the temp gauge, ever.

Even while riding with ATGATT near 100 degrees I notice no excessive heat from the bike. Sure there is heat coming from the engine, but nothing uncomfortable. My old BMW K bike used to cook my shins and anything else near the engine.

Darn these modern vehicles, all engineered to function properly regardless of the exterior conditions.

Amazing engineering. :hurray:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You guys must have been stopped to hear the fan. There's no way I can hear mine in motion.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, I was stopped at a long light after a long ride . Temp was about 98.

I thought, "What is that whining/whirring noise?, Oh it's the cooling fan, glad it works".

Haven't heard it since....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agreed. No way to hear the fan while in motion - only when stopped.

On the subject of heat, I find the bike throws a decent amount of heat. I wear full gear but my pants have mesh panels. On my recent trip when it was high 90's F and above I certainly felt the heat when riding. At some points it was like a blow drier on my legs.

Pete

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I was at a stop light when I heard mine running. There's no way I'd hear it while riding.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Anyone used the oil filler replacement temperature gauges to see what it thinks is happening with the engine?

Please note the ones I've seen don't lock, so if you need a lockable filler cap, this isn't a solution :rolleyes1:

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 on feeling heat but more so after my skid plate install, it feels like the heat is re-directed up at me.

mountainpete, do you have a skid plate too?

·
Registered
310 Posts
+1 on feeling heat but more so after my skid plate install, it feels like the heat is re-directed up at me.

mountainpete, do you have a skid plate too?
I have the factory plastic cowling - very possible that it directs the heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts