StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fighting the annoying set screw I finally got the stock spring off the rear shock of my 2010 1000 and have a few questions. The RaceTech/Eibach rear spring is 1 inch shorter than the original and has a 1/4 inch larger internal diameter. With the 1 inch shorter length the spring does not need to be compressed to install the c -clip. RaceTech supplied 1 collar for the spring but it looks like there should be a collar on the top and bottom of the spring for proper fit. For those that have installed this spring what did you find? Am I missing a collar or spacer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My race tech spring came 4 collars.I just used 2 and set the preload to hold it all together.I have some if you want them!!.PM me and let me know.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked with RaceTech today and I am missing the Collars. I have ordered the collars form RaceTech. Thanks for the offer LoneStrom.
Jimding, I will be checking the sag. The purpose of changing my springs was to get proper sag.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
What spring rate did you go with !?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thats the pair I have.VERY stiff,works good for 2 up,bumpy when solo..

·
Registered
89 Posts
16.1KG rear spring and 1.1KG front springs
That sounds like a very stiff set of fork springs. I had Rick at Codgent re-spring/re-valve my forks. I asked him to set them up to handle: me 215 w/o gear, the g/f 130 w/o gear plus 120 pounds of luggage.

After running the forks on a shock dyno he installed .85 springs.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have that setup( 1.1 front,16.1 rear ) from when I had my sidecar on the Strom,I would not got that stiff again for solo use!!.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My collars came in today so I will be installing the spring on my rear shock tomorrow. I will let you know if it rides too stiff or not.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have been playing around with tire pressures to make it ride alittle softer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was off work today so I finished up installing the rear spring. I set up the sag and went for a test drive. It is stiffer than OEM springs but I would hope so as that is why I bought the springs. It did not feel too stiff, if anything the rear might still be a little soft. Front seems right on. I will have to take it up into the mountain roads to get a good idea how it is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Apologies for dredging up an old thread.
I'm wanting to install a heavier rear spring on a DL1000 (it's hacked & has three Jessie's). Are there any special tools needed to change out the spring?
Jim

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Race Tech rear spring installation on OEM shock questions

:) Hi, I have shipped lots of Race Tech Rear Springs to my Fellow Stromtroopers over the past 12 years and it is not too difficult.

Email me Directly at [email protected] and I can get you looked after right away. You will want to include you bike model and year along with your weight out of the shower in your email so that I can help you make sure that you get the best weight of spring to give you the ride you are looking for.

If you include your best contact phone number as well I will be happy to give you a quick call to briefly discuss your bike riding needs to get your suspension working with and for you,

Let me know whenever you are ready,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to get the spring off the shock? I have the shock out of the bike and my new spring and all the supplied spacers, I just can't seem to find any info on actually removing the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to get the spring off the shock? I have the shock out of the bike and my new spring and all the supplied spacers, I just can't seem to find any info on actually removing the spring......
:) Hi Class Act, Your shock has a remote hydraulic preload assembly.

You need to compress the spring so that you expose the assembly Circlip and once you remove that circlip it all comes apart and you can remove the shock spring.

If you are not experienced in this and do not have a spring compressor for this job I highly recommend that you take the shock to a local shop that does have a compressor and have them swap it over for you.

If your shock was a manual preload all you would need to do is turn the preload collar to release the spring, do the swap and turn the manual preload collar back down to set the preload with your new spring.

The local suspension shop I use charges about $25 - $30 to do the swap when you have all the parts and no need for any other service on your shock,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Can someone please tell me how to get the spring off the shock? I have the shock out of the bike and my new spring and all the supplied spacers, I just can't seem to find any info on actually removing the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try this if you're game
http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/92594-rear-shock-spring-upgrade.html

I do remember another thread where someone made a 2x4 jig and used it with a floor Jack. Might have been on VSRI though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts