StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to Stromtrooper.com and have some questions. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.

I/we currently ride a BMW R1200 GSA (2011). We bought it new three years ago and currently have 90K on the clock, most of it two up. Alaska to Guatemala and pretty much every point in between.

My pillion is 4-8 and 90 lbs, I am an even 6-2 and 200 lbs. We love touring, forest service roads, and unimproved dirt...

I am getting increasing dissatisfied with the maint/operational costs of riding my GSA. It is a fabulous bike that has taken us everywhere, but $1000 12K services are killing me, especially since I retired a couple of years ago.

Here goes:

Any other V Strom riders two up who've gone from BMW to Suzuki

Am I "trading down" to purchase a V Strom? RE: shaft drive, more amperage, horsepower, mpg, wind protection, etc, etc. What are your thoughts?

The GSA is superb for long distance touring with its electronic suspension adjustment, ABS brakes, pillion comfort.. How does the big V Strom stack up?

How often are services performed?

Many thanks for your responses. I've always liked the looks and the fact that there are lots of aftermarket off pavement goodies to add to this bike-just like BMW, LOL.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

·
Registered
587 Posts
1000 dollar services?

That's what it cost to service the strom for a lifetime

It's like 40 bucks to change the oil. That and a valve check every 50k or so and that's it ?

I've seen it said here before and on other forums. The Strom is 90 percent of the bike for 50 percent of the cost

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DL v GSA

What about ride quality? Two up touring? The DL is a hugely popular bike-I see them all over the place up here in the PNW where I live.

When you say "no comparision" what does that mean to you?

Many thanks for your earlier reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, NSDave,

Lower service costs are very important to me, but so is the quality of the riding experience, especially two up and long distance touring. The big GSA is powerful, extremely comfortable and earns about 43 mpg on a near nine gallon gas fill up.

What are some bonuses I'll see with the DL? What about drawbacks?? I appreciate your candid responses...

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Strom won't have electronic suspension adjustment, but you won't ever have to pay to have electronic suspension repaired. You still have ABS and comfort should be fine, YMMV.
Having owned a shaft drive (1972 R60) years ago and come back to chains, you will miss the low maintenance and cleanliness, but then you won't have to pay for repairs on the shaft. A chain oiler helps a lot.
I miss the old R60 for its very easy maintenance (valve clearance check, 10 minutes) but am getting used to the idea that while the Strom is not easy to work on due to extensive plastics and complex systems (FI, ABS, too many OHC), it just doesn't need to be worked on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
A phrase I found on this forum , The Vstrom is "All the GS without the BS"
I can only imagine it might be like going from a sedan to a ute (pickup?)
I reckon you,d find the Vstrom a tiny bit agricultural compared to the GS, but you'll soon warm to it and appreciate its honesty and enjoy "engaging" in the ride a bit more ;)
Another benefit is you dont have wear the full BMW adventure suits and have aluminum panniers that cost a fortune. Any Vstrom looks "right" no matter what you hang on or off it,or how dirty it is ;)
The $$ you save on servicing will afford many many miles of happy travels :)

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
Being a BMW owner I cannot imagine why you are paying $1000 for a 12K service? The new GS/GSA are cheaper to maintain btw. While I have a spot for the V Strom, I am not so blindly in love with them to think it would replace a GSA. Totally different animals. You would be much better off with a new Super Tenere if you just don't want to consider a new BMW. The DL 1000 is way down on power to the new BMW and you would likely have to spend money on the suspension right away. No cruise control either. But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the DL 1000, it is light in weight and certainly reliable. But it too has to have the valves checked and it will cost more to do them on the DL 1000 than the BMW. Then there is the cost of chains and sprockets and lube. I would absolutely recommend you ride one first......

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
A Yamaha Super Tenere could also be considered. It has a lot of the options that the GS has (like cruise control, traction control, electronically adjustable suspension, shaft drive) without the big ticket purchase price and higher maintenance costs. I use mine for a lot of two up touring (20,000 miles so far), and it's an excellent touring platform. When I bought mine in 2014 at Romney Cycles, they were running at just about the same price as the new DL1000 (which is what I originally thought about getting). So far, I've loved every minute of owning it.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
I lust after the GSA, however, unless I win the lottery, ain't gunna happen. All I can add is I loved my K1200 LTC, but never could find the time for any extended trips. The maintenance costs were killing me. And then, just outside of warranty, the ABS unit crapped out on me. Brought it in for yet another attempted repair to find out a needed replacement unit was about $2,500 (if memory serves). Right then and there at the dealership, I was totally disgusted with the situation and wandered around the showroom. What the hell is that, I asked the sales dude... Pretty fugly looking bike, but sure is a comfortable riding position! Oh, that's a VStrom! A few moments of reflection and we cut a deal to trade my BMW pig in on a brand new in the crate 2007 DL1000. I waited there and watched them assemble my new ride. Never looked back. Best bike for me. Loved it so much, just traded that in for a new 2014 Vee 2 last year for all the upgrades the new model offers. YMMV, but this bike serves me well and is very affordable to run and maintain. :fineprint:

Later, I learned I fit the VStrom demographic perfectly: cheap, old grey haired, white men! Lol

·
Registered
650 Posts
Later, I learned I fit the VStrom demographic perfectly: cheap, old grey haired, white men! Lol

Hey! not all of us have hair!! :laugh2:

(where we want it ;) )

·
Registered
234 Posts
Advenpsr'…
I too have gone from GS to Strom. A little harder ride, but smoothing with time. You will have the same accessories to outfit the Strom, seat, barbacks, led lights etc. So far the 2014 and up storms don't have as many vendors, specifically for windscreens. I have gone taller but without any fairing it is a windy ride at I speeds. I am in the process of finding suitable wind resistant fairings. Lots of aftermarket brackets etc, but ineffective. You will find the maintenance less, and that was my reason to get away from BMW. Perhaps we will see someone like Aeroflow to come up w/ a 2 pc. plexiglass kit that makes riding this powerful pleasurable bike like a beemer, I think thats all it needs.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What about ride quality? Two up touring? The DL is a hugely popular bike-I see them all over the place up here in the PNW where I live.

When you say "no comparision" what does that mean to you?

Many thanks for your earlier reply!

What I meant by no comparison was the BMW is better in every way. The only downfall is the service and cost of the bike. The V-Strom is the best bang for your buck. You would think it would be reversed. You pay a lot for a BMW then have to pay more for service whereas you pay little for the V-Strom and pay almost nothing for service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
V Strom v GSA

Guys, just the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks. I've been a BMW rider for about 20 years now. I love my GSA; it is a fantastic bike, but that doesn't mean there aren't other great bikes out there.

I see a lot of V Stroms on the road...I think you guys are onto something...:grin2:

What about two up long distance touring?

Thanks again for your comments.

ps-to the poster who asked how a 12k service could cost $1000, remember shop labor is now anywhere from $110 to $135 at the dealership. If you throw tires into the mix, you are easily over 1K for service. And, I buy LOTs of tires. LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with Mikes on this. I was riding a cruiser and happened upon a BMW demo day about 4 years ago. I wanted to ride the bike Neil Peart rides so I opted for the GSA. After I was done with the demo all I could think of was, "What the hell am I doing on this cruiser?!" So I researched, and rubbed my tail on, and research some more on everything and anything "adventure touring bike" I could find. And here I am 4 years later. I did and absolutely still do lust for the GSA. Like, what can I sell, I need another job, just take the money out of the bank divorce immediately lust for it. If I win the lottery then yes. Just can't do it. My '04, bought used with 15k on it and now pushing to 45k trouble free happy miles serves its intended purpose. Ride ride ride. You will probably dislike the older 1K, so if youre considering it has to be a new 1K. It is a great ride. Just know what you have and test ride to know hat youre getting into.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I love the suspension on the BMWs it think it is more forgiving, by that I mean if you go into a corner all messed up on a Beemer you have a greater chance of coming out the other side in good shape than on the Strom in stock trim, I don't think the Strom is dangerous just less refined, I love following Beemer's and watching them corner.

I love my Wee but my V2 is a far better bike for 2 up touring.

A mate has purchased a new GS (he is loaded with cash) and ticked every box on the accessories page but while we are out ridding the smile on my face is bigger than his and he hates that.

I have a heap of bikes in the shed but I have labelled my Strom's as honest bikes, nothing spectacular just honest motoring.

I have never lusted after any other bike, my thoughts are life is too short not to buy what you want (I have a very understanding bride) and I will not leave this world with any regrets, so far so good.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Being a BMW owner I cannot imagine why you are paying $1000 for a 12K service? The new GS/GSA are cheaper to maintain btw. While I have a spot for the V Strom, I am not so blindly in love with them to think it would replace a GSA. Totally different animals. You would be much better off with a new Super Tenere if you just don't want to consider a new BMW. The DL 1000 is way down on power to the new BMW and you would likely have to spend money on the suspension right away. No cruise control either. But, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the DL 1000, it is light in weight and certainly reliable. But it too has to have the valves checked and it will cost more to do them on the DL 1000 than the BMW. Then there is the cost of chains and sprockets and lube. I would absolutely recommend you ride one first......
Totally nailed it. Whatever you do, please ride the DL1000 before buying one!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I once had an Rt and did a long test ride on a new w/c GSA. The Beemers are better bikes in almost every way. But the Zukes are a better value. In fact, probably the best value in the market.
I didn't have the RT long enough to ever have to take it to a dealer, but I found the maintenance a breeze. Dirt simple valve checks/adjustments, change final drive oil and tranny oil and brake fluid every so often.

Just don't pay msrp for a new Vee2. Part of what makes them a great value is you can get them for way less than the already-lower-than-bmw price.
And I don't understand the comments critical to the V2's suspension. It may not be on par with a gsa tricked out w/ Ohlins, but it's pretty decent. One of the best stock suspensions I've had.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
adventureposer, keep in mind that the '02-'13 DL1000 and the '14+ DL1000A are completely different bikes. The '14+ is better in every way, still not up to BMW standards, and not up to BMW costs. The DL1000A is a completely competent motorcycle to do what you want. Your satisfaction all depends on your expectations. It might need minor changes for your requirements--springs to suit your loaded riding weight, seat & windscreen that works for you, etc.

The GIVI AirFlow AF3105 windscreen completely smooths out the air flow on the DL1000A.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts