StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I tore that Deer in half with my Strom over two weeks ago I've recovered but my very much loved companion (Vee) didn't make it. The insurance adjuster totaled her out and I've already got my eye on my next bike. Hey, life's about variety right? I'm not saying I'll never own another strom, but I'm probably going to dabble in the sport-touring market for a while.

I'll post a couple more times to see if any of you want the strom specific tooling or manuals that I have acquired, as soon as I run across them.

I wanted to part ways and let you all know what an awesome sight this is, I maintained in perfection, my favorite motorcycle yet due to the vast amount of knowledge and info I got from this site. I only hope the next bike specific forum I go to is as helpful.

Cheers
Jason.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yea, let us know. The new Ninja 1000? Connie? My choice would probably be the Tiger 800, assuming good reviews. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best of luck with your new adventure. I am on the other side of the equation just picking up a DL1K about 2 months ago. I would be interested in some of those extra parts if they are available. Depending whare in WA you are, I may not even be too far away.

My riding buddy just went from his FZ1 to a BMW 1200 sport tourer. Very impressive in the twisties at near 100%, not near as much fun riding at 70-80%. I'm also interested in what you decide to go to.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If your budget will stand it, how about the new Multistrada 1200? Either that or the new Yamaha Tengai 1200? Those are two bikes that will have to be on a wish list only. But if I hit paydirt somehow I'd be lookin at em!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best of luck with your new adventure. I am on the other side of the equation just picking up a DL1K about 2 months ago. I would be interested in some of those extra parts if they are available. Depending whare in WA you are, I may not even be too far away.

My riding buddy just went from his FZ1 to a BMW 1200 sport tourer. Very impressive in the twisties at near 100%, not near as much fun riding at 70-80%. I'm also interested in what you decide to go to.
I know I have a shop manual in the garage and a mulletometer (manometer) and perhaps some parts to the front end blinker assy. I live in Arlington but work at Boeing Field.

I'm leaning very heavily toward the Connie 14 right now, unless it blows on the test ride it looks like I'll be parking one in the garage soon.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm leaning very heavily toward the Connie 14 right now
I changed from an '08 C-14 ABS to my '09 Wee-ABS. I rode the Connie 29K miles in a bit over two years. It was extremely smooth and powerful with a solid suspension and very good brakes.

I made the change for lighter weight (it was 690# Wet) and a more upright riding position (even with Bar Backs, I had more weight on my hands and fore arms than was comfortable on long days for my aged body).

Ride safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I rode a C-14 and it's a great bike, but I realized that I'd be leaving a lot of the bike unused. I don't have time for many long multi-day trips, and the bike had more speed and power than I need for most of my riding. Those four cylinders sure are smooth however.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Would you mind talking about the crash? Would you describe it completely? Did you fly over the front and hit pavement? Were you hurt bad?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you mind talking about the crash? Would you describe it completely? Did you fly over the front and hit pavement? Were you hurt bad?
No problem, it was really not traumatic it all happened so fast, no time to react at all. I was heading home from work and I was about ten miles from home at 11:00 at night on a two lane two way road. I had just passed an oncoming car so my headlights were on low beam, and I was just feeling the switch to bring the high beams back up. It was almost surreal how fast the deer appeared from out of nowhere, I have a very keen eye for wildlife and spot everything from mice to raccoons to deer. I think he may have followed behind the oncoming car so I didn't see him because of the headlights. It was like someone falshed a picture of him square in front of me at 60 mph.
I hit the deer and before I could even touch my brakes and all I remember was a big dull thud. I coasted for about 100 feet then began braking and pulled over to the side of the road. There was a car following me about 1/4 mile behind and pulled over to my aid, I had him put my kickstand down since my knee felt as though it were broken (worst damn pain I ever felt).
I got off the bike and promptly took my stich off because I didn't want the paramedics to go apeshit and cut it off, in hind sight I should've let 'em it was insured. I looked at my knee and it was intact but hurt until I put my full weight on it, so I knew it was all good. There were about 10 emergany vehicles that showed up, I imagine that a motorcycle/deer call sounds bad, and I refused to be taken to the hospital after the paramedics gave me the once over.
The State Trooper at the scene told me I tore the deer in half and was surprised that I was standing there talking to him. I tried to call my wife to come pick me up but she was fast asleep and couldn't hear the phone so the Trooper gave me a ride in the back of the police car, not a comfortable ride!

It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I learned why my knee hurt, I caved in the side of my tank, I assume, when the back half of the deer swung over and slammed my leg into it. Two weeks later (now) it feels much better with only a little swelling and the doc told me that he couldn't detect any damage.
The insurance co. called my trusty steed a total loss, now I have to find a new bike.
I do believe that the Strom helped shield me from harm in the incident because of it's size, had it been a smaller bike I probably would've gone down and suffer more injury. I'd get another one but I'm tired of changing chains every 6 months with tires. I have had the bike since Mar. 2008 and put 65,000 miles on it, every one of them was a pleasure too.

An encounter with a deer or elk has been my greatest fear while riding since I've been riding, 18+ years now. I can say I've faced that fear and don't want to repeat it.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Wow, it is lucky you made out as well as you did. One time it is good to be on a heavier bike. Take a pad look at the FJR's. The PNW group is great , and I suspect my next bike would be a C14 until I help a friend with his C14 plugs and sync. Compared to the same task on the FJR it was nightmare getting access. They are a great riding bike however, the C14 is very smooth, all along its power band and a very nice gearbox

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for the details Stromgewehr44. That's amazing that you just hit it perfectly and didn't even go down! You were lucky!

Glad you're alright.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm leaning very heavily toward the Connie 14 right now, unless it blows on the test ride . . . .
Not likely to disappoint, I'm guessing. I had a '93 and it was wonderful mostly. Everything I've read says the 14 exists in an even higher plane.

Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
At your local USA Triumph dealer, possibly sometime in November 2010. I can't wait to see it, sit on it, ride it in person.
It's not listed as a 2011 model on Triumphs website.:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts