StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an adventure model with oem luggage and looking for a quieter pipe that fits with the luggage installed. Has anyone made this upgrade? . 2014 DL 1000A

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is the first time I have heard someone say the huge, heavy stock exhaust was too loud for their liking. Hopefully someone will chime in, but I think you may be on your own with this one. Is the exhaust unadulterated? Do you think someone drilled out and removed the baffle?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I noticed on my bike after a while the stock exhaust did get slightly louder. I guess the insulation burns out?

It is pretty quiet even like this. Maybe you can add an aluminum sound deflector over the muffler rather than replace it?

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Huh.....the stock unit already sounds like a muted fart? The answer you seek is NO, there will never be a more quiet aftermarket system that will be more quiet than stock, at least on a VStrom. I have heard some wicked sounding stock exhausts on race ready bikes, but even then I have serious doubts anything aftermarket would produce less sound.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
"What about the ozone? "

From the old under wear and socks?
He isn't getting rid of the Cat on the exhaust. Reg gas is still cleaned.
You probably wouldn't notice except for when he first fires it up....either smell like a laundromat because he was clean about his person or it would smell like a poor seal on a colostomy bag.

·
Vendor
5,420 Posts
i don't think the Stock Vee2 exhaust has absorbent material to wear out. I'm pretty sure it is a mechanical baffle type and it is way too new to have rusted out. Also may be stainless.

If you want to make it quieter try reducing the OD of the outlet by installing a washer or other restricter. Check out the snuff-or-nots from the 1960s. I'm sure it can be done.

Here is a video of a DIY version.

https://youtu.be/Uw8-AXQ8yAA

·
Registered
291 Posts
OP should specify if he is looking for a can that is quieter than the OEM can or an aftermarket can that is not as loud as most aftermarket cans.

I would assume its the latter because the first option probably doesn't exist.

I have a Holeshot Performance 17" can on mine that I find to be mellow and non-obnoxious.. Holeshot also offers a quiet insert for the can that would bring the noise down even further but I haven't heard one yet in person to compare.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i don't think the Stock Vee2 exhaust has absorbent material to wear out. I'm pretty sure it is a mechanical baffle type and it is way too new to have rusted out.
I've been curious about this. I have about 8000 miles on my V2 and it is definitely gotten louder(ish). It is not loud by any means but I have to wonder if there isn't (wasn't) some packing in there to meet "Standards". I've looked for a cross-cut drawing but haven't found one. Anybody got one that shows what's inside?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
You can also look into getting a 45 degree sanitary stainless steel elbow welded onto the outlet of the stock exhaust to direct the sound downward.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Reminds me of the cut outs guys had on hot rods in the 50's-60's. Pull a lever and cacophony reigned supreme!
That was not cacophony, that was the music of Detroit iron. Sounds wonderful at the side of the track as they go by, not so wonderful through your neighborhood late at night.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
"not so wonderful through your neighborhood late at night"

That, my friend, is quintessential cacophony.
Like, I was so proud of myself when I punched out the baffles of my R65LS and set off car alarms.
Thankfully I had a spare set of muffles to right that wrong.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check out "Quiet Baffles" on the web. It cuts about 3db and is a simple device. I doubt that it will work for your pipe, but you may be able to have one fabricated after seeing it.

I used it on a Cobra exhaust and it did cut the sharpness down to a tolerable level.

·
Registered
502 Posts
In 1971, the local officer of the law stopped me on my '63 BSA 650 that was sporting straight pipes with "Snuff-or-Not" feature. I received a warning back then. Today's Harley and other V-Twin riders don't believe in quiet anything (exhaust or those damn music blaring). Maybe it will swing back to quiet mufflers again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i don't think the Stock Vee2 exhaust has absorbent material to wear out. I'm pretty sure it is a mechanical baffle type and it is way too new to have rusted out. Also may be stainless.

If you want to make it quieter try reducing the OD of the outlet by installing a washer or other restricter. Check out the snuff-or-nots from the 1960s. I'm sure it can be done.

Here is a video of a DIY version.

https://youtu.be/Uw8-AXQ8yAA
Oh My Gosh I remember those. It was the HOT setup for all those trying to keep MR. Law off their tails. That back when loud pipes were a punishable offense! Ha!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to say it may be a punishable offense when the hot soccer mom is seen on the back of my bike at 10:30 on a school night!. Punishable by the law, my school system employer, and her hubby, not to mention my wife! Perhaps a pedal powered bike! phewwww

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
Since the DL engine configuration is similar to Ducati, do our bikes have a similar exhaust note with aftermarket pipes?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts