StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to 14,000 miles ago, I have used two TrailWings and two BattleWings on the front of my Wee. All four of those tires have lasted about 13,000 miles. So I tried something different, a Shinko 705 TrailMaster tire. I have to commend Shinko. The TrailMaster never slipped on wet or dry roads. It was very reassuring to ride with that tire on the front, but boy did it howl. When it was new, it would howl between 43 & 51 mph. After it cupped badly, as shown below, it would howl so loudly at highway speeds (55-75 mph), I could barely hear my wife through my Scala G9x helmet headset, plus depending on the road surface the 705 front TrailMaster could howl at speeds as low as 25 mph. Despite the sure-footedness of the Shinko 60/40 tire, I am so happy to have replaced it with another 110/80R-19 BattleWing BW501 tire. Now my Wee is running quietly and smoothly again.

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
Interesting since the Shinko's work well for a lot of us. No odd wear patterns and providing good traction.
Is it possible the tire got mounted backwards?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting since the Shinko's work well for a lot of us. No odd wear patterns and providing good traction.
Is it possible the tire got mounted backwards?
The tire was mounted and balanced correctly. I do not know if the cupping has anything to do with the kind of roads I ride on, or how many tight curves I take, but besides the noise, the rough vibrations felt at low speeds as bumpiness and at higher speeds as vibration through the handlebars was off-putting.

What experiences do others have? No cupping? How long do others running 705's last?

I did only have a Shinko tire on the front. I still had a 150/70R-17 BattleWing BW502 on the back. Perhaps the combination of the Shinko 60/40 tire on the front and the BW 90/10 tire on the back is not a good one.

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
The fronts seem to last 12-13K miles. The rears 6-8K . I haven't had any cupping like that on a Shinko.
Depending on the trips, some tires wore on the edges and others sets got worn in the middle, long miles on the Interstate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have about 9k miles on a shinko 705 front (just broke in the second rear). It's got a little low speed rumble that i can feel in the bars, about 5 or less mph. Nice howl, not loud, mid 30s mph. Might be starting to cup a little bit, but not enough to know without measuring and I can't be bothered

Happy with the tires.

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
Low air pressure? I had this happen to a tyre that had a slow leak.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fronts seem to last 12-13K miles. The rears 6-8K . I haven't had any cupping like that on a Shinko.
Depending on the trips, some tires wore on the edges and others sets got worn in the middle, long miles on the Interstate.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like my front 705 lasted at least as long as yours do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Low air pressure? I had this happen to a tyre that had a slow leak.
I have always been diligent about keeping the front tire air pressure between 32 psi and 36 psi, that is, until this summer I suffered a lapse of attention and the front tire pressure was 27 psi when I checked it after 2 or 3 months from last I filled it to 36 psi. Perhaps the cupping was the result of running for a month or more with that lower tire pressure. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Administrator
5,767 Posts
I have always been diligent about keeping the front tire air pressure between 32 psi and 36 psi,.
I'd suggest that 32psi is too low for sealed road riding. Not only will the tyre interact differently on the road the lower pressure will allow heat buildup within the tyre which will accelerate wear. The book says 36psi COLD and many guys here will use 38-40 and more in the rear. From your photo you travel loaded. Low tyre pressures are only for lower speed off seal riding.
You'll find that your bike will be much more nimble, handle differently and tyres will last much longer with a few more psi in them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd suggest that 32psi is too low for sealed road riding. Not only will the tyre interact differently on the road the lower pressure will allow heat buildup within the tyre which will accelerate wear. The book says 36psi COLD and many guys here will use 38-40 and more in the rear. From your photo you travel loaded. Low tyre pressures are only for lower speed off seal riding.
You'll find that your bike will be much more nimble, handle differently and tyres will last much longer with a few more psi in them.
My Suzuki DL650 manual states 33 psi for the front tire riding solo or two-up, as shown below. Having said that I always fill the front tire to 35-36 psi and by the time I get around to checking it, the air pressure has come down 2-3 psi. I have tried filling the front tire to 38 psi, but the bike does not handle well at that pressure. It is an anomaly that the tire pressure had been down to 27 psi this summer. That has only happened a couple of times in the last decade and a half. This time the pressure had gone down from 35 psi to 27 psi over a period of 2-3 months. Typically I am checking the tire pressure at least once a month.

I have not had any problems with the rear tire, or any other tire other than the front Shinko 705. For many years I had been filling my rear tires up to 40 psi. Lately I started filling them to 38 psi, in hopes that it would take longer for the flat to form in the center of the rear tread. Anybody had any data on how long a tire will last depending on the tire pressure?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Well it's known that a tire will last longer with a higher psi, but you also compromise traction. You have to find that happy medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts

What experiences do others have? No cupping? How long do others running 705's last?

All my Shinko 705s have cupped like that in the front, usually starting at about 12k miles. It's due to the tread pattern. It's unavoidable if you ride any curvy or twisty roads above the speed limit (I ride generally 36F and 38R, solo and unloaded).

I get about ~7500 miles on the rear so I'll do two rears for every front. By then the front is pretty bad.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All my Shinko 705s have cupped like that in the front, usually starting at about 12k miles. It's due to the tread pattern. It's unavoidable if you ride any curvy or twisty roads above the speed limit (I ride generally 36F and 38R, solo and unloaded).

I get about ~7500 miles on the rear so I'll do two rears for every front. By then the front is pretty bad.

Thanks for the feedback. That is some good information. I am not sure when the howling started outside of the normal 43-51 mph range, but it was 2-3 months back probably when the front Shinko 705 had about 12k miles on it.

I do mostly ride on twisty roads. Other than this 705, all my front tires (~10 of them) in the last decade or more have worn out 1" left of center leaving at least 2 mm of center tread left every time.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
Reactions: K9 Wee

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I check my tires pressures before every single ride!
How often do you ride?

If I checked every ride then I would be checking the air pressure every day, and every day I would be losing some air pressure because some air always escapes with every one of my nine air pressure gages. By default, if I checked my air pressure every ride, I would be having to fill up my tires more than once a week, just based on losing air pressure while trying to check the air pressure. As it is, if I overfill the tires by 2-3 psi, usually I only have to add air every 3-5 weeks. If I only rode once a month, I would also check the air pressure in my tires every time I ride!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Normal rule of thumb for vehicles that aren't load carriers (read: trucks) is to check tire pressure once per week, with a daily visual inspection. I've just finished my motorcycle safety course this summer, and they reviewed TCLOCK pre-ride checks. When asked about pressure, rather than just visual inspection, they also said "about once a week".

Your mileage may vary. Your risk tolerance may vary. If you're doing a lot of miles carrying a large amount of stuff - your pressure is going to vary. If I was travelling more than 150-200 miles a day, yup, I'd check the next time I rode. A 10 mile commute plus some pleasure rides in a week? Yeah, rolling out towards breakfast saturday morning.

That may be cavalier to some, and overly cautious to others. That said, it's a good habit to get into.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
How often do you ride?

If I checked every ride then I would be checking the air pressure every day, and every day I would be losing some air pressure because some air always escapes with every one of my nine air pressure gages. By default, if I checked my air pressure every ride, I would be having to fill up my tires more than once a week, just based on losing air pressure while trying to check the air pressure. As it is, if I overfill the tires by 2-3 psi, usually I only have to add air every 3-5 weeks. If I only rode once a month, I would also check the air pressure in my tires every time I ride!
True, I only ride once a week, but I still want to be sure everything is copacetic. It's just part of a pre-ride checklist I do for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I've had mild cupping on the 705 fronts, but I'm hard on tires and run varied pressures (when running dual sport mixes of gravel & pavement), so I expect hard wear. I generally get 10-13k before they're shot.

I love the tires, they're noisy but ear plugs solves that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quiet and Smooth, used in the same sentence as Shinko 705 front tire?
I just checked the mileage on the 705's and they're at about 6K and that front tire hardly looks like it has worn at all. I was hoping it was about worn out so I could replace that howlin thing. Guess ear plugs with ear buds are what I'll keep going with.
BTW, the back has 3K or so miles to to go it looks like.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts