StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having a couple of days off in a few weeks so I thought I might go to Scotland. I come from Essex and I was thinking of going to Fort William or there about. Has anyone made a similar journey and am I being ambitious in thinking I might make the journey in one day?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do-able

Hi Matthew,

I used to live in Scotland, so know the journey from down here well.

Its certainly do-able in a day to Fort William, but it would be a long day and you'd be knackered by the time you got to the really good scenary (everything north of Glasgow/Stirling.) You might also start to lose the light by that time as well, which would be a shame.

If your holiday time allows it, I'd recommend breaking the journey either in the Borders or maybe Stirling and then heading up to the Fort on the second day.

The best route for both scenary and twisty stuff is via Stirling, Callander, Crianlarich and Tyndrum. Glencoe is not to be missed in the daylight!

If you have time, the 50 or so miles from Spean Bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh is arguably the best in Scotland.

You'll have a great trip. Wish I was going too!

Shenpen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
what date???

Hi,

I am having a couple of days off in a few weeks so I thought I might go to Scotland. I come from Essex and I was thinking of going to Fort William or there about. Has anyone made a similar journey and am I being ambitious in thinking I might make the journey in one day?

Hi Have a good ride. Maybe able to join you on route depending on what date or just part way as you pass through the midlands.

tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks, thats really helpfull. I wont have loads of time because it is just a little challenge I have set myself because I just fancy doing something different. I will be leaving on a Thursday and want to be back by Saturday evening or Sunday morning (on a very tight budget). I went to scotland many years ago and loved it as a kid. I am interested because because my Grandad was Scottish so I have a bit Scotch blood in me.

I cant wait! I've not planned anything yet, it was just a brain wave I had yesterday.

Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
No worries. Sounds like an excellent brainwave.

Just a quick extra thought.....would you be able to leave home on the Wednesday evening? If so, you could get most of the M6 out of the way and have all Thursday to enjoy the ride through Scotland up to the Fort.

Anyway, hope you manage to get something sorted.

Shout if you want any more info about routes, places to stay etc.

Shenpen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Doubt it...

because I will be working all day and in need of a good nights kip for the long trip ahead. I might think about stopping off before but I think I'll just see how it goes. The longest ride I have done is to Paris on my CBR600. I will just have to find out if I am man enough the hard way, Haha! :confused:

If you know of any cheap and reasonably available places to stay it would be helpfull. Bike security would be a bonus!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Accommodation

Depending on how cheap is cheap, the following are good B&B bets - all with at least some sort of bike-friendly parking....

Crianlarich (one way or another you pretty much have to go through this village to get to Fort William from the south):

Craigbank Guest House
Tel: 01838 300279
From £20 a night

Fort William:

Distillery Guest House
Tel: 01397 700103
From £28 a night

Ben Nevis Guest House
Tel: 01387 708817
From £24 a night

Glen Shiel Guest House
Tel: 01397 702271
From £17.50 a night

Alternatively there are plenty of youth hostel options all over the place....

http://www.syha.org.uk

If you end up choosing to break the journey near the border rather than further north, there's a Premier Travelinn at Annandale Water Services just north of Lockerbie on the M74. Probably more expensive than you're planning, but very convenient if you need a plan B.

Shenpen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats Great

Thanks for all the help, you have made my planning much easier!!! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're looking for cheap, self-catering and have a sleeping bag, these wigwams cut the cost - but you'll maybe need to be with a couple of others as they charge per wigwam.
http://www.sac.ac.uk/consultancy/wigwams/

Try to leave a bit of time around Glencoe - take the 17 mile B863 detour from Glencoe to North Ballachulish via Kinlochleven. It's totally pointless, but has been referred to as "the Scottish TT". Beautiful bikers' playground - you'll have to loop it several times. A couple of slow laps to look at the scenery and get the rhythm, then a couple more at a pace. There is fuel there :)

Around Fort William you can't really go wrong - but also try the A861 loop out towards Mallaig the long way via Strontian (yes that is where they got the name for the radioactive substance). Or A87 through the Five Sisters towards Skye and Eilean Donan.

To be honest, you'll scratch the surface with a short trip, and if the weather's good you'll want to come back for more...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm Jealous!!

Matthew,

Hope you have a great ride - take a camera and post some pics - I must say Glencoe looks stunning on the the tv and clips i have seen, so should be an absolute must.

I'm off next week and was planning either Cumbria or Snowdon (not quite on your scale) but should at least get the damn thing up to it's first service.

Had a nice ride down to Broadway in the Cotswolds on Sunday - the Wee was a dream, much more comfortable than my GPZ900 - so am up to 250 miles now !!

As I said have a great time and don't forget your camera.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
scotland quick trip

just now registered so i dont know if you are still reading this .
Why glencoe /fort william? its ok but!. You ll fall asleep on the long boring straight bits. Can i make a sugestion .
At darlington take the a68 for a great road over the hills to corbridge and on to carter bar to pass the border properly, continue to edinburgh through the border country,cross the forth bridge, then the a823/822 past knockhill ,the sma' glen to dunkeld, a923 to blairgowrie then a93 through glen shee [bunkhouse and biker grub] to braemar [bunkhouse] crossing the cairnwell which is the highest road in scotland [ no the applecross pass is not the highest].You could take a detour out to tomintoul the highest town in the north and the first road blocked by snow every winter.Not much police interest except lothian region .

·
Registered
22 Posts
True, but...

Hi Les,

You're absolutely right about that route being more interesting/exciting from a purely bike perspective (especially sma' glen to braemar), but for most people who've never been north of the border before (especially if you're from flat old Essex like Matthew) then Glencoe etc. is the real draw for eye-candy.

If Matthew had time - or for anyone else considering a trip north - combining the two "sides" would be ideal. Head north the way you suggested, then loop back towards Fort Bill via a choice of roads.

God I'm missing Scotland!

Shenpen
:)

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
hope that if you went, your ok,...i just been out on the bike, froze my ass off, got rained on,snowed on, and blown from one side of the road to another, its horrid out there today

take care mate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cold out there today!

60 mile quick round trip today to get the miles up for the first service. Snow, rain and gales. Luckily took the luggage off to reduce the profile. Even with the heated grips it was bloody freezing. Still, blew out the cobwebs!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
60 mile quick round trip today to get the miles up for the first service. Snow, rain and gales. Luckily took the luggage off to reduce the profile. Even with the heated grips it was bloody freezing. Still, blew out the cobwebs!

Great, hope you are enjoying your new strom. Thanks everyone for all the help though I am a bit baffled as I havent been to Scotland since I was very young. I am still considering which rout to take (leaving this Thurs!), I will probably try to keep it relatively simple given the time and distance and now even lower budget (thanks to those charming wheel clampers!). By the way I am sorry I havent replied in a while as my band has been involved in a big competition and we are doing quite well, a great Scottish band called Spearbrave are also involved, They are very good! :rolleyes:

Oh by the way I got my Scorpion cans on today at last, thanks to my brother. "They sound awsome!"

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can't go wrong...

Hi Matthew,

On the baffled front....I wouldn't worry....you can't really go too far wrong. You're not going to see all that Scotland has to offer in one weekend and it will still be there for you to revisit another time.

Whether you take the west route up to Fort Bill or go east towards Braemar you'll have a great time and see some fantastic scenary either way. My vote would still be for the west since its (effectively) your first visit.

Hope the weather's kind to you. Let us know how you get on.

Oh and good luck with the competition!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks fantastic! - would be well worth putting the winter clothing on for that ride, I used to ski on Loch Earn and it is very scenic around there.

Roll on a little warmer weather

Thanks for the info

1 - 19 of 19 Posts