StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved my windshield from the middle to high position before riding today. Lots more wind then I was expecting and I think I may have mixed up the rubber bushings.

Do the short guys go on the top bolts? I think I reversed that and thus have a very steep angle on my shield.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So I moved my windshield from the middle to high position before riding today. Lots more wind then I was expecting and I think I may have mixed up the rubber bushings.

Do the short guys go on the top bolts? I think I reversed that and thus have a very steep angle on my shield.
I was wondering the same thing. I reinstalled the windshield in the highest position with the long spacers on top. I noticed a decrease in wind from the lower position, so it seems right to me. Plus, it looks to me that the hand guards would contact the shield at full lock if the short spacers were on top.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly I was wondering what the stock setup is to confirm. If anyone out there hasn't messed with their shield and could take a look - I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting, I might move my shield back to the middle position. I feel like I'm getting more buffeting from the upper position then I was in the middle. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I moved mine up and don't like it there either. Going to drop it back to middle tonight. Timely post, I was wondering if I had screwed up the spacers too.

Thanks,
DSR650

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
mine is still in the middle position and shows no buffetting/turbulance at all. i've adjusted the lip throught it's range and feel no difference...so what's it for?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried mine in the higher position and the only noticable difference was increased wind noise so I changed back to the middle position.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I went so far as to drill holes to make mine even higher, now the air over top is hitting the top of my helmet instead of at face level......I was just hoping to be able to sit up straight and be in the "pocket" ( 6'3" )

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah I'm still fiddling with this as well. Bought the MRA Vario as it's $200 cheaper than the Suzuki flavor. Still get a ton of wind noise at highway speed, though I need to play with positioning more. If that doesn't work, would love to try a Cee Bailey.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So after seeing the picture i purposely swapped mine and put the longer ones on the bottom for more angle on the windscreen. I would get pretty severe buffeting over 70mph indicated and was ready to buy one of the many aftermarket options. I can say that using the middle position with the longer posts on bottom eliminated much of the buffeting up to about 75mph now. It starts to get bad again over 80 mph indicated but still a decent reduction. I may try to live with this setup for a bit. Thanks to the OP for the idea!

Drex

·
Registered
24 Posts
..and someone mentioned bar clearance, its not much now! About 1/4" in full left lock but no parts are touching. A little more clearance with full right lock.

·
Registered
194 Posts
mine is still in the middle position and shows no buffetting/turbulance at all. i've adjusted the lip throught it's range and feel no difference...so what's it for?
wow, when I put the lip all the way down with the screen in the stock position I get a wonderful face full of wind. With the lip in the middle position it was blowing somewhat in my face and somewhat over me. The faster I went the less wind was in my face. I've yet to try it in the highest position but I'm imagining it will blow the wind right over me. I'm 6' 1/2" with a 32" inseam. I'm going to raise it up and try in out soon, i just realized I'd get my much desired wind blast by lowering it and am enjoying it too much.

I live in arizona and it's 110+ at times these days, I need that face full of wind the slight turbulence has never bothered me I had far more buffeting on my last ride but I learned to enjoy the face and chest full of wind.

I'm amazed at the differences I find moving the lip, I wonder if you'd see a difference if you lowered the screen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This (playing with the position of the stock screen) seems to be a part of the natural progression of events, in owning a DL-650. Many (most?) of us end up buying a different screen. Then the bars are too far forward (or the hand guards hit the windshield), so you get bar risers. Then the seat becomes an issue, so you look at the options. In the mean time, miscellaneous farkles and guards have found their way onto your bike - fender extensions, skid plates, peg lowering devices, crash bars, fog lights, etc.
I love it. It is a good thing that my wife does as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
wow, when I put the lip all the way down with the screen in the stock position I get a wonderful face full of wind. With the lip in the middle position it was blowing somewhat in my face and somewhat over me. The faster I went the less wind was in my face. I've yet to try it in the highest position but I'm imagining it will blow the wind right over me. I'm 6' 1/2" with a 32" inseam. I'm going to raise it up and try in out soon, i just realized I'd get my much desired wind blast by lowering it and am enjoying it too much.

I live in arizona and it's 110+ at times these days, I need that face full of wind the slight turbulence has never bothered me I had far more buffeting on my last ride but I learned to enjoy the face and chest full of wind.

I'm amazed at the differences I find moving the lip, I wonder if you'd see a difference if you lowered the screen.
A full face of wind at 110 degrees is like being in a convection oven. You're better off sweating it out behind the screen. That hot air will dry you out quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts