StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a wix filter and some rotella 15/40 so I could do an oil change tomorrow. I know the oem filter states two full turns past dead center. The wix has some instructions, It just images not text. I'm thinking it means 3/4 turn past hand tight. Does that sound abut right to you guys?

Also I've read a few threads on oil changes. Just wanted to confirm that 3 liters is a safe amount to put in. I know it's a little higher than recommend but I always liked the idea of a little too much over too little.

Dom

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I do 3/4 turn past hand tight. Works fine. Be sure to put oil on the seal before you put the filter on.

I put 2.5 litres in, then start the bike up to run a minute or two. Then check it and top it up. If you overfill it, you could cause oil to escape in various ways. Some not pleasant.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You're right on about the filter, however, if ya put in 3 liters of oil, that's quite a bit too much. The manual calls for 2.9 quarts, but 3 QUARTS should be ok. There's a bit more oil in a liter than a quart.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's hand tight or 3/4 turn past contact, not 3/4 turn past hand tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts