StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to raise my forks today. I loosened all 6 10mm bolts and pushed down on the handles bars..nothing happend...so I pushed harder..nothing ..happened..so i pushed really hard and the forks shot up about 4"! Now I can't get them to slide back down, any ideas? Brute force got me into this mess, it doesn't seem to be getting me out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I used a car jack under the engine when it happened to me.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Hi,

In some cases putting it on a centerstand or jacking up the bike can help take some weight off the front. Normally, I do one side at a time. Good luck. A second set of hands may help here.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
You might not have loosened them enough so they stuck and brute force made the big drop.

Support the bike under the motor, riase the whole bike and loosen the forks a bit more. You should be able to bring the forks back up.. Maybe put a board under the front wheel so you can use the leverage to raise it. Once you have it close to where you want it to be then undo one side and let it drop the amount you want. Tighten that side up, loosen the other and do the other side.

..Tom

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might not have loosened them enough so they stuck and brute force made the big drop.

Support the bike under the motor, riase the whole bike and loosen the forks a bit more. You should be able to bring the forks back up.. Maybe put a board under the front wheel so you can use the leverage to raise it. Once you have it close to where you want it to be then undo one side and let it drop the amount you want. Tighten that side up, loosen the other and do the other side.

..Tom
Would the center stand be sufficient for supporting the whole bike?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I find it hard to believe how often I have to say this. Do one side at a time so the other side will hold the bike up. Loosen the two lower bolts a lot and the upper just enough to move things.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
Would the center stand be sufficient for supporting the whole bike?
It has held mine up as long as there is a good amount of weight in the top case. I usually put a paint can with a couple of boards under the motor to be safe.

As Greywolf says, just do one side at a time and you won't have any issues with it.

..Tom

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it squared away, thanks for the help. I was rushing and tried to blast through it, and I didn't even bother to look at the forum thread I had saved on my computer with instructions...learned my lesson. Will take my time, next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts