StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the plastics of and am ready to remove the gas tank from my 2012 V-Strom 650 for a valve adjustment... all that's left is the fuel line on the bottom of the tank. Is it a safe assumption that once I disconnect it, fuel will drain out of the tank? Guessing I'll have to siphon it empty first.

And, also what's the best way to disconnect that line without breaking it?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
619 Posts
Fuel will not drain out when you disconnect the hose, but its obviously easier to handle the tank if its not too heavy with fuel.
I found that the clip is hard to undo (some say it gets easier the next time), as you have to pinch the tabs on the clip at the same time as wriggling it loose and its hard to get a good grip on it under the tank. I bent a bit of coat hanger wire into a U shape that I can push over the clip to hold the tabs in, so all I have to do is wriggle it free. Others have used a small zip tie for the same purpose, that might be the better way.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Having not yet removed my tank but only tilted it, I can understand the trepidation at first.
That was how I felt with the Concours GTR 1000. I could take the tank off in the dark and pouring rain within just a couple of minutes eventually!!
Looking under the tank when you have tilted the back end there are only a couple of lines to disconnect. I suggest taking a couple of photos first or labelling each line. Have a nearly empty tank and maybe a second person as moral and physical support.
The first time is always the hardest but will get easier. Just take your time and have a couple of long necks handy for refreshment :wink2:
Just make sure the fuel line is correctly connected when you put it back together.
I believe there is a thread some where here that will take you through the procedure clearly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts